RivaTuner Statistics Server stops responding since 2.10. Ok till 2.09.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Istarth, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    Hi !!

Well till version 2.09 all was ok ! But just after updated to 2.10 the problem appear ... RivaTuner Statistics Server starts and hangs ... If i right click tray icon and press setup the setup window pop up but once i press any option or just any place inside the window RivaTuner Statistics Server stops responding ... if i dont enter in setup window ... I cannot see monitors inside games (becouse the process is totally hang :( ) ...

Becouse of this I went back to 2.09 and all was ok again ... now with 2.11 I have tried again but the problem persists again with 2.11 .... so back again to 2.09 ...

I have tried to completely remove 2.09 with all keys in regedit ... all profiles .... then reboot then install 2.11 then reboot again .... But the problem persists ...

Whats happening ... ??? Does anybody knows how to resolve this ??

TY !

2. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX

Any idea please ??

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I would try to disable all security related tools (antiviruses, antispyware, firewalls etc). Looks like something like that installed in your system does't like the server.

4. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    I have tried with all security soft enabled/disabled. I can confirm I have neither virus nor any kind of mallware ...

The interesting thing is that ALL rivatunner versions till 2.09 works perfect ... the problem comes only with 2.10/2.11 ... once i come back to any past version rivatuner works well again ... so maybe my system works bad with something NEW in probably 2.10 version but I don't know what or why :(

I really thought I was not going to be the only one with this problem ...

TY !

5. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    Hi again !!

I have more new info about this ... Now I really think this is a bug ....

I saved RivaTunerStatisticsServer from 2.09 and I replace 2.10 and 2.11 RivaTunerStatisticsServer with then one in 2.09 and it works perfect !

So first --> The problem is RivaTunerStatisticsServer.

Now (with RivaTunerStatisticsServer from 2.09 but with rivatuner 2.11 installed) going deeper ....

I have replaced one by one each file of RivaTunerStatisticsServer path (under tools) and tried opening statics after each replace .... and this is the result ....

** RivaTuner 2.11/10 + RivaTunerStatisticsServer 2.11/10 = RivaTunerStatisticsServer Hang
    ** RivaTuner 2.09 + RivaTunerStatisticsServer 2.11/10 = RivaTunerStatisticsServer Hang
    ** RivaTuner 2.11/10 + RivaTunerStatisticsServer 2.09 = Works Perfect

So there is something new un versions 2.10/11 that Hang RivaTunerStatisticsServer in my computer !

Conflict files causing the problem:

RivaTunerStatisticsServer.exe
    RTSSHooks.cfg
    RTSSHooks.dll

I have ALL Kind of security soft disabled nad i have no mallware/virus at all ...

I am using XFX GTX280 XXX + Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

Whats happening !?

Please any help ?? since maybe I'm not going to be able to use any version above 2.09 .....

TY !!!

6. Unwinder

And I'm still more than certain that it is third party application issue. The only workaround for you is to do a clean OS install or _completely_ remove any security related tools (for example just stopping antivirus like KAV is _not_enough_ and _doesn't_ actually stop antivirus driver residing in the system). If you'll look in 2.10 release notes, you'll notice that it came with an updated server providing the following new feature:

- New server uses improved hook notification system and more aggressive hooks unload routines aimed to minimize the situations which require system reboot during server uninstallation.

I'm absolutely sure that your security tools don't like it. And there is no bug and there will not be any way back. So if you won't find an application disliking the server on your system, you won't be able to use new versions, sorry.

7. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    Hi again !!

I have discovered the problem !!!

There is a problem between AiSuite from Asus (Overclock and ustomize bios soft).

The exact problem is in process pwsave.exe if that process is runing and u try to start statics server = hang !! If u kill pwsave and try again works perfect ...

Now I have removed AiSuite ...but is not a very good solution for those using aisuite ...

Would be nice if u try to resolve that problem ...

TY !

8. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    mistake

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  9. Unwinder

Try to add this executable (pwsave.exe) to the server's profiles list and completely disable all hooking related options into this application's profile. Also, I never used this ASUS software but if pwsave.exe contains some sort of profiling and exceptions creationg system then adding the server to exceptions may help.

10. Istarth

Istarth New Member

GPU:
    XFX NVIDIA GTX280 XXX
    I couldn't read ths before ...

I will try again if i reinstall aisuite ... but since aisuite force you to reboot to be able to use new settings .... I will live without it and make any changes directly in the bios if i need ... Anyway ty for the help.

See U !