Laptop Failed To Boot - Reason for Concern?

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by N0sferatU, Jan 4, 2016.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    I have an HP Spectre x360 with the Core i7 and a SSD. I was using it the other night on Win10 Pro and out of no where the whole machine became unresponsive. I shut it down forcefully with the power button. When I went to turn it back on the machine wouldn't boot.

03F0 - Boot Device Not Found.

I went into BIOS diagnostics for the laptop. I first ran the HD short test it said SMART unable to detect. I followed it up with the extensive test and now it showed SMART passed. I tried rebooting again and same error.

I went into BIOS and "load defaults" and rebooted and voila it's worked since. I rebooted the machine probably 20 times yesterday after this and it runs 100% fine.

Warranty it? Random glitch? Thoughts?

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I'd say random hiccup - that freeze did corrup something. With earlier Windows versions I was forced to use even startup repair (CD) many times.

3. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    There might be something in the event logs about your freeze-up.

Your issue almost sounds like disk failure in the early stages. SMART can still pass a drive that is beginning to show signs of failure, so I'd also check the SMART data on reallocated blocks and whatnot. Tools like HDTune can read out the SMART data fields.

But yeah it could still just be a random glitch that resetting the BIOS resolved for you.