Memory (Ram)

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by mustang, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mustang

mustang Guest

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 690
    I have a PC build and cant find anyone who can tell me if it will work can anyone tell me if this will work

i have subscribed to over a dozen threads to try find out no-one can tell me
    i am new to this gaming world i have a lot of new games like splinter-cell, assassins creed, mass effect, duke, need for speed, flight simulator, crysis, C.O.D, Hawx i have the complete series of each one but no PC to play it on only the cash to buy one this PC parts look very nice to me can someone please help me

CM Cosmos II
    CM 1300W Silent Pro Hybrid
    Asus Sabertooth X77
    Asus BW-12B1LT 12x Blu-Ray Writer (Internal, SATA)*
    Asus PCE-N15 300Mb
    32GB memory that goes with the Corsair® AirFlow Pro™ memory fan
    Corsair Hydro H100
    i7 3770k
    Nvidea Geforce GTX 690
    480GB Kingston Hyper X K3
    Gigabyte M8600 & K8100
    Logitech G13 Advanced
    Cyborg fly 9
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Chronos USB Mini Bluetooth EDR 2.1, Class I
    Triple Screen
    Caretta workspace - ear buds plugged into desk 400005W
    Caretta workspace - iphone docking port 100017W

please someone tell me if this is right i don't know who to ask anymore

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Do you want to do heavy overclocking?

I see Asus PCE-N15. If you are planning to do online gaming, wifi isn't the best choice. Doesn't matter so much on consoles due to the 'dumbed down' gaming, but on PC you really need the fastest 'ping' times. Ideally you should plug your computer directly into the router. Even if its several metres away, its better to use a LAN cable than through wifi.

Your question about the RAM is a bit tricky because we don't know how heavy of overclocking you are planning. In all honesty, playing games on 32GB will be no benefit over playing them on 16GB, unless you have very much lots of background processes running. Even 16GB over 8GB is a bit of an overkill for many people, seeing as games are only 32-bit and therefore RAM limited.

If you want to overclock and want 32GB of RAM, you will need 4x8GB RAM modules, and best match would be say, DDR3-2400 (you can get faster but they become a lot dearer for very little gain).

The RAM cooler you are inquiring about requires Corsair Dominator Memory with DHX Pro technology. (DOMINATOR Modules with part numbers starting with CMP and CMT). I know that because I copied and pasted that the last part of the previous sentence from the Corsair Airflow Pro product description :)

Do you already have the airflow cooler? do you actually need it? It seems the compatible RAM with it shouldn't need that much extra cooling, and if you pump more voltage through it so it does, the memory controller won't like it (not more than 1.65V)...

The i7-3770K may be a bit of an overkill, seeing as for gaming it doesn't really give any benefit over the i5-3570K.

I don't know about the PSU you listed, I'd probably go for a Seasonic myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What's your budget?
    Btw a 1300W PSU is complete overkill....you could save some cash there. 750W-850W is enough, with headroom to spare.

And oh yeah 32GB ram....good grief you'd wouldn't even use a quarter of that while gaming...

Nice board though, and nice case.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It seems the list is just made of the most expensive items... Probably could shave off several hundred dollars and make no difference in the end performance.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Howcome you got all those games and no PC?

6. mustang

mustang Guest

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 690
    i had a pc but the motherboard burnt it was a cheap thing and destroyed a lot of my components "I wasnt at home at the time.
    as for the price i have the cash so i want to only replace this pc in around 10 years LOL
    In South African money i have around R90 000 (Rand)

i do want to do some heavy clocking as well as clean option i have chosen these items carefully
    thanks for the advise on the ram i will take it into consideration when i chose
    I have non of the items on the list i first want to make sure that it is compatible.
    i will be using the wifi for normal usage and direct connection for gameing.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're building for gaming, it won't last 10 years....

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    good Lord a 1300 watt for 1 690?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Maybe he's hoping MS will add support for Hexa-SLI later??

10. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Good lord, this is like a MEGA RIG. Don't bug the OP guys, if he has money then why not make something this overkill :D

As for the OP's question: I'm not a RAM expert, but I'm pretty sure you can use any decent RAM. Like Corsair Vengeance 1600 since you will using Corsair RAM fan coolers (aesthetics)

Don't bother with getting 2133 Mhz RAM or something higher, IMO the ACTUAL performance is negligible.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Long as the memory is 1.5v, he'll be fine.

12. Tuoni

Tuoni Guest

GPU:
    Denise
    32GB RAM is complete overkill for gaming but it is so nice to load windows entirely into your RAM and run it from there :)

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    How would you do that? :3eyes:

14. Ice Cube

Ice Cube Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    He was being sarcastic, you know...

mustang, i'm no hardware expert, but even then i advise you don't get 32 GB RAM, instead get a good quality 16 GB(Corsair/Mushkin)