Need some help on new TV choice.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by chris, Nov 8, 2011.

1. chris

chris Guest

GPU:
    GTX460
    Just to give you guys some sort of picture,im still rocking a 54 cm standard tv in my lounge.

Since the holiday season is coming up,and I normally by my own xmas gift anyway,I was thinking a nice new 42" LCD tv would do the job nicely.

Only thing is,I don't know much about these things:bang:

Firstly,I want to hook up to my Rig,for movies and gaming,with the huge difference in price between HD and HD ready,would a media player like media player classic upscale and for gaming as well,im not sure how upscaling works on the HD ready TV,s

Or would it just be better spending the extra bucks and getting a Full HD TV.

I would really like to hear from any users using a hd ready tv with upscaling as well.

2. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    Phillips make damn good LCD's.

i bought a 42" Phillips 1080P LCD. VERY good picture quality.

3. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Well I'm no expert and it's quite passed the point now , since I'm late here..
    But wanted to add , getting a 720p TV / HD ready in the year 2011 , just doesn't make sense to me anymore..
    Yes its great for movies over a 1080p Monitor any day , mainly because of it's size and features like motion flow / plus / dynamic CS !
    But when you say upscaling , u need to understand that only works if ur running lower resolution (lower then your TV's native resolution) content on your HD Ready or Full HD TV , example 480p / DVD Quality / analogue cable / SD content which is mostly lower res then 720p..
    If ur running a 1080p movie from ur pc to ur 720p tv , then ur down scaling/losing detail but it'll look the best it can on a 720p TV running @ it's native res..which again has nothing to do with upscaling , infact u'll hardly notice much difference but technically u'll lose pixels/details tho movies will feel just as HD as it does @ 1080p !
    Depends alot on your seating distance , ur eyes , viewing angle , lighting , quality of content , players , calibration..

Basically dont think about these things , get a straight forward upgrade or collect wait till u have the funds available to do so..
    In this case a cheap 1080p Plasma TV or a cheap LED 1080p TV or a really cheap LCD 1080p !
    I'd prefer sticking the following brands Samsung , Sony , Panasonic !

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    1080p A MUST...I have a high dollor samsung...And a cheap sanyo...Both look the same...Great Picture on Both...HANNSpree 42" 1080p LCD HDTV is the Best deal around...

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

In general, for 1080P (don't get confused with what you saw 10 years ago in terms of plasmas etc):
    Plasma --> Great picture, 'high' power use
    CCFL LCD (normal LCD's) --> good picture, average power use
    LED LCD (LED edgelit/backlit) --> Great picture, low power use

For plasmas, by high power use I mean high compared to equivalent spec LCD or LED.

For Plasma, I'd only go Panasonic. Personally I wouldn't buy a standard LCD (CCFL LCD) at all now, they probably won't even be on sale in 2 years, and instead go for an LED.

LED's are in theory more reliable than LCD, the CCFL lamp is a special kind of fluoro lamp that can degrade and even blow over a long time, just like a normal fluoro lamp does!

For LED tv, I've only get a Samsung, Toshiba, or Panasonic. These are designed to well and truly outlive their warranties, other TV brands, even Sony and LG, seem to only live just past their warranty period! Depending on use, but I guess you want a fair use out of it for many many years to come, right? :)