Samsung 60" 4K UHD TV on GTX 970 4GB

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by NeoElNino, Oct 11, 2015.

1. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    hey folks,

I have been away from the forums for a longtime but here I am back with few questions since I have not had time to experiment like I use to like back in the days when I was single :D .

Anyways so I assembled the new rig that I have in the sig and bought from best buy a Samsung 60" 4K UN60JU6500FXZA http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/5149031.p?id=1219646572403&skuId=5149031 .

Took me few days to tweak the UHD TV + noticed that there is 1 HDMI port at its back which would allow 4K full RGB at 60HZ on the PC (so hooked up the HDMI cable there) and I bought a Monster 4K certified cable from ebay for $25 which allowed me to get the 60HZ. so that's resolved (before I was limited to Chroma and 30Hz).

But now that I am playing SOMA (Frictional Games) on PC I'm getting 60FPS on all resolution except on 3840 x 2160 (4K) in SOMA I'm at 30FPS instead.

(1) I haven't had time to test other games so I am not too sure if SOMA is limiting the game at 30FPS or if it is the Nvidia Drivers on Windows 10 or if it is the UHD TV? anyone had time to troubleshoot issues like this?

(2) Also I read that getting a display port to HDMI 2.0 would get us around the frequency issues and color issues + resolution problems. Is that true? If I get a Display port cable would that solve anything?

Thanks folks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Try adaptive Vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel. At 4K, with all the graphics options set, you're probably not managing to maintain 60 FPS. So Vsync is cutting your FPS. There's no such thing as an active DP to HDMI 2.0 dongle currently. Never mind '3.0':)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Gaming @ 60fps @ 4k with a single 970?

4. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    I guess the drivers and a single GTX 970 cannot manage yet to give a full 4K at 60FPS? maybe the future GTXs/driver will have more power for that then?

As long as it is not a UHD TV issue I'm cool with that:nerd: :)

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Through the whole thing, i'm still just wondering why you spent $25 on a Monster branded HDMI cable, even if it WAS on eBay.

6. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    yeh I know could have gotten a generic HDMI 2.0 4K cable for $10 but I like Monster cables :p.

Between I finished SOMA then installed DiRT 3 and I was able to get 4K at 60FPS on it with everything ULTRA. was smooth. so yeh seems SOMA was capped itself at 30FPS or the 970 wasn't able to deliver 60.

in any case I know now that its a game limitation. thanks all! :D

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @ op. Try getting a second GTX 970 and running in SLI.

That way, in many titles you should get an average of 60 fps.

Either way you'll get much better overall performance than a single GTX 970.

PS. Even a monster card such as a Titan X just about gets 60 fps when running 4k titles...

Surely you can afford a second or even three other GTX 970's and run SLI/Tri? :)

That's the way if you want to maintain an average of 60 fps whilst running 4k!

8. seriousjack4

seriousjack4 Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    Wow that is a good setup. 4K + 970 Graphics dream come true.

9. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    It depends on the game. Skyrim can run in 4K@60fps without a problem imo.

If you still have this 30fps issue at 4K try to use a different HDMI port (PC or GAME) and enable gaming mode in the tv options.

Also some Samsung models require you to rename your HDMI port to 'PC' or 'GAME' if you cant find it - read this:

http://www.displaylag.com/how-to-enable-game-mode-on-your-hdtv/