About a bottleneck

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Foamy4, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Hello there
    I've been using my rig for about 2 months now. Everything runs as it should and now I'm about to overclock my CPU because I suspect it's bottlenecking my Inno3D Nvidia 295GTX. I suspect this because I've read other threads in here stating I should overclock my CPU to atleast 3.6Ghz, when running in "low" resolutions such as 1280x1024. Whenever I overclock my CPU I get higher FPS in both games and 3DMARK06, I don't know wether it's related to a bottleneck or?
    So my question is: How can I test this to be absolutely positive it's a bottleneck?
    The driver I use for my card is 186.18, I've remembered to set 3D settings in the Nvidia controlpanel.

2. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    your cpu is the bottleneck, faster your cpu quicker it can instruct the the gpu so to speak, which is why you are seeing FPS increases in gfx apps (games and 3dmark)

also at that resolution, the 295 is a complete overkill, to see decent FPS from the 295 i do recommend that you play at atleast 1920x1080

3. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Er, why OC for gaming under 1280x1024?
    Sure you might get more fps, but a raise from 150-200 is not noticeble to the human eye.

The cpu aint bottlenecking anything. Its all a way of looking and understanding benchmarks.
    In a nutshell, you are not supposed to benchmark / test for bottlenecks on 1280x1024.

You can also test a 1x1 pixel resolution with your gtx295.
    You know the kind of bottleneck you get there?

4. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    i have mine oc'd just for the sake of it, no really need for it

5. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    Bokah, thats the best reason for OC i have heard so far. Good on ya.

6. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    A bottleneck is what is limiting your system from producing more frames in what ever situation or whatever resolution or game. At 12x10 the 295 really isn't working very hard so it can push out as many frames as the CPU can give it. So yes, the CPU is the bottleneck... But at 12x10 just about any CPU at any clock rate for any game (again just about) is going to be the bottleneck...

Even if you are getting 150-200 fps, I'd still overclock the CPU to increase the minimum fps and get the most out of your experience. But I'd also recommend getting a bigger monitor with higher resolution to get the most out of your 295. At 12x10 you could also just max everthing out with gobs of AA to also try and offset the CPU bottleneck and get the most out of your hardware.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    exactly that! for your current res u might as well be on a 260 or 275 which plenty..

8. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    I second and third DukeDave5200 post.

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    You might get a HD moniter. You will see true potential of your hardware (FPS will be nearly same by getting rid of lag) and enjoy the HD experience:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  10. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Whow thanks :)
    It all makes sense to me now. Well now I know what to spend money on a new moniter cheers!

11. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    That is a good plan... I will mention one thing about getting a big monitor. Once you do there's really no going back and the higher resolution you get the more demanding it will be on your video card (and system as a whole) which means usually more frequent upgrades and games become more demanding.

In other words, I wouldn't go over HD resolutions. Something either 1920x1080 (true HD) or 1920x1200 (a little higher than HD but this is more of a computer resolution)... If you're looking at the 30" computer monitors - well, don't unless you are willing to basically get high-end everything each time you upgrade.

12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    GTX295 @ 12x10... oh my lord.

Everything seems to have been covered above, however smnoamls, if you can't see a CPU bottleneck there, then i don't know what you're doing diagnosing computer problems ;)

13. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I was planning on getting an 24" 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor from Asus. :) But when I play games in HD, do I need a higher mem clock on the 295GTX? On stock it goes to 999Mhz. I've read somewhere the cards performance is "limited" by the somewhat low mem clock?

14. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    By definition, it clock is lower than it's single card counterparts but it will still beat anything out there on the market but it doesn't cripple the card in any way.

The mem usually maxes out at 2450mhz so you've got a lot of free performance there to unlock.