Ryzen and SLI, some questions for owners.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by BangTail, May 31, 2017.

1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    So, I'm looking at AMD (and Intel) for my next build (not yet decided, need more info) but one thing I had heard that makes me apprehensive about AMD is that there are issues with SLI.

If any of you are using Ryzen with SLI, I would love to hear about your experiences.

1. Is the performance solid (scaling etc)?

2. Are there any issues (no matter how minor)?

3. If you were an Intel user previously, are you happy you switched?

I'm only interested in the objective opinions of those who own or have extensive hands on experience with Ryzen/SLI please.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    I don't have first hand experience with it, but I got a buddy who is not part of this forum who recently got a Ryzen 1800X (stock speeds) pared with 1080 Ti SLI build so I asked him your questions.

1. Timespy score: 15456
    2. Not come across any issues as of yet (Build is two weeks old).
    3. Been a AMD user for years so can't comment.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You won't get perfect scaling like you would compared to haswell/broadwell-e.

Example 1080p(i know not important) shows quite a gap in many games compared to OCd haswell-e/broadwell-e and adding a 2nd card will just exuberate that issue.
    Maybe might be less of an issue at 4k, but there will certainly be an issue at 1440P

Some say it's due to NV drivers though, not sure.

4. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Apart from the verbal assurances and/or irritations in forums - a good spot to get a feel for it is always this here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/XThiaiZX/videos?shelf_id=0&view=0&sort=dd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JZ2RkFIbqQ

Many of the Crossfire/SLI owners who post such videos are very open to questions in the comment section and will gladly share their experiences.
    Because they are proud of setting their stuff up and have it running in an optimal way.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Thanks everyone :)

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD's previous platforms had issues with feeding Crossfire as well. I have seen R7 feeding two RX580's without issues (at least no GPU load issues but there were frame pacing problems however that isn't Ryzen's fault). But I have no first hand experience.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, it's looking like an Intel build for me this time round (at least for my main box), SLI can already be annoying enough without adding more issues to it.

I may toss a TR into my flightsim box though, still very interested in AMD CPUs at this point. Hopefully they can work the niggles with SLI out in fairly short order.

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    What 1440p issues are you talking about ?