The Almighty SubWoofer Thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RagDoll_Effect, Jan 24, 2014.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Hey Guru's, I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated sub thread :) We can show off our subs and talk everything subtastic :)

My Polk Audio PSW505

[​IMG]

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No subwoofer here, yet. I'm in progress of moving to a new place and so. Lets see how much "extra" cash I have left after that. A lot of stuff to buy.

Anyways, been looking for a Genelec 7050B for my 8030's. Will get one for testing at some point and see how it behaves in my new place.

3. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
  4. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I'm also using a Mini DSP 2x4 balanced for some EQ/signal boosting. However, I think at this point that I am power limited. I am (unfortunately) powering my CV5000 through a power strip, which I believe is probably starving the amp. I really need to get around to building a relay so that I can plug the amp directly in to a wall socket and trigger it to turn on/off via my pre/pro.

They're still just 15a outlets, when the amp has a 40a fuse... but still. It has to be better than being run through a power strip that also has several other things connected to it.

The whole room rattles/groans when I turn up the volume. I'm honestly surprised I haven't knocked a tile off the ceiling, or broken a window yet. I'll have to see what happens when I add the second sub.

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    That's awesome, post your thoughts about it when you get it :)

That's the one you built if I remember correctly :) Awesome Rebel.

Yep, mine rattles, and shakes my whole house even lol, She also is a very musical sub, I can hear all the bass notes in whatever type of music I play. I've got mine hooked up now, with a Y connector RCA into both Line in L/R on the sub.

cheers,
    RagDoll.

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    my car came with a built in Sub in the boot Jaguar, also have a creative 5.1 sound system with a sub awesome when watching movies and playing BF4

7. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool :) So, that Jaguar is banging, literally lol Which model creative 5.1 setup do you have?

regards,
    RagDoll.

8. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I've tried to find a sub to be paired with my Blow4 studio monitors but couldn't find a decent one that I can afford (most of them are too expensive)

So I end up using the sub from logitech Z5300. Only the sub, no satellites because they sound bad.

Luckily my DAC has 2 outputs, RCA and headphone. I plug the monitors to the headphone out and the sub to the RCA out.

It sounds quite good when the volume is not too loud

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I'm becoming a bit of an addict. I've got the subwoofer channel at +10 on my pre/pro, and have EQ'd up 10-80Hz by 8dB in the MiniDSP as well. I love feeling my lungs vibrate.

I need MOAR.

10. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Well I don't have dedicated subs, but I'm rockin' some Cerwin Vega VE-12s. Each one has a 12" sub built in. I've had these for about 3 years and came from one of those Logitech 5.1 setups. The sub was loud as hell with that kit but muddy. These Vegas go LOW and hit hard.

11. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Built a sub a couple of years ago - no pics as I've lent it to a friend for his studio and haven't got space for it at the moment, but at a party we had the neighbours from across the road come over to ask us to turn it down cos their windows were rattling :banana:

12. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Battlefield 4 - Paracel Storm. When the storm comes rolling in there is a deep and loud thunder crack. I can't get enough of it.

I'll bust out my mic later and try and get a max SPL reading of my sub.

13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, if it's anywhere near 120db, it's pain level for your ears, 130db and it's like window shattering... be careful dude.

regards,
    RagDoll.

14. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Your mic probably won't be accurate at very low frequency. Don't do it! We believe you, I'm sure it's very loud lol - not worth potentially damaging your sub for the sake of it :)

15. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    That's true I suppose. I just tested though. With the gain knob on the amp all the way up (how I always have it), I am hitting 104dB @50Hz. The -20dB light on the amp came on, and the sub clearly had a lot of xmax to spare.

This to me says that I have a serious gain issue. I am connecting to the amp via XLR, and have the subwoofer channel at +10. I then have +8dB boost set in my miniDSP from 10-80Hz. I didn't think I would need so much gain.

I increased the gain a bit in the MiniDSP and hit 108dB @50Hz. The MiniDSP scares me a bit though, because every change causes the subs to make a loud THUMP. I think I'll leave it like this for now. I might consider picking up a different EQ device. This MiniDSP is unnerving.

On a somewhat related note- I ran a full range sweep, and noticed I had a pretty significant dip at ~100Hz. I've upped the crossover to 120Hz and it seemed to help.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    What would be the "cheapest" sub that would be a sweet upgrade for my audio engine book shelfs

17. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Mine...

[​IMG]

15" DC LVL 4, powered by a DLS Ultimate A6, 1200 watts RMS @1Ohm. Wobbles a bit :D

Also run a Dali E-12F in the home cinema.

19. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, that's unreal :)

20. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI

My ONKYO A/V receiver has a special sub tuning built in, so I can up the frequencies through my ONKYO, it's brilliant this receiver that I've had for a couple of years now :)

regards,
    RagDoll.