How to Position your Speakers Correctly

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Jeremy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Also, I must say that having speakers at ear level, except for the sub of course is a must :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    not to mention that there are so many variables like room size, shape, objects that can reflect/disort/destroy/decay/reverb/anything sound etc etc, you can allways purchase a $20.000++ system or more, but if your room is not treated acusticly it wont sound like it.

i think is best sudgest how to set up the room properly and then give advice on how to setup speakers, since dimentions and shapes rule out first how waves travels, not speakers.

ive heard some 200 usd speakers sound really good because of room sound treatment alone, now image what can be achieved with some hi-end speakers-amps-soundcards etc.

3. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This^ :) I think that if I could, I would put some sort of wall insulation and totally make the sound reverberate from not only the walls, but floor and ceiling :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The KRK's i've had they sounded even incredible using outside in our backyard. :D

Is it that important that the speakers are at ear height? Next week i'm gonna order a pair of M-Audio's BX8 D2's, i could use some boxes to make it sit higher, would that make any difference?

It does come with some pads.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    connectivity and space req. are good, but that's still nice waste of money :)
    could be good for watching movies in a small room.

proper sound bar is still not a proper speaker. let alone speaker(s)

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Thats way too much money for that , doesn't matter how much it is it wont change the fact that it is a sound bar and that not much they can do with one do to their size. For Virtual speakers Plenty of sound cards have that function that are cheap. Unless its Dolby Atmos then that be something different but not 1k+ worth.

For that price you might as well just get Two pairs of floor stand Cerwin vega speakers or some other brand speaker. And a good receiver and a sub and save the rest of that money for something else.

I run a 2.0 setup my self with my Yamaha RX-V367 a d Sony SS-B1000 speakers that is plugged into my gustard X12 RCA out's and they still do the job even after 7 years of owning the Speakers, it just that it time for me to invest into a sub because it shows now.

9. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You want the speakers tilted towards you not straight, you need the sweet spot.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I've seen some speakers that their manuals say not to angle them and leave straight, such as Dali. Maybe best to check that first.

/necro

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Placing speakers straight will create dead spots. Having them angled will allow room reflections to be heard throughout the room

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Just saying what I've read in manuals.

Here's a snippet from the manual for the Oberons.

The speakers are designed to meet our wide dispersion principle, so they should NOT be angled towards the listening position, but be positioned parallel with the rear wall.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    That's fine if the manufacturer says so. No harm in trying that and see if you prefer the results.

14. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    True. We have active monitors in the band studio facing 45° away from 2 corners. The bass speaker is on the back of the speaker creating a huuuuge bass resonance throughout the room. We have to reduce the 50hz frequencies by about 7dB to get a good sound.

Always use speakers that have a bass tube at the front!

15. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I cant believe people even consider "beaming" speakers lol. Wtf happened to proper acoustics? Put the speakers high on the wall or the ceiling, and dont "beam" sound off a painted wall. God what horrible "innovation."