News - Western Digital rebranding all Green drives to Blue drives.

Discussion in 'Hardware Reviews and News' started by OrionCheung, Oct 30, 2015.

1. OrionCheung

OrionCheung Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8G
    Western Digital rebranding all Green drives to Blue drives
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So now we won't be able to tell apart the normal HDD's from the crappy ones? Great :D

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Um, yeah...

Bad move. People buy the blue drivers because they want something seemingly more reliable and faster than a green drive.

I think they had a meeting and it went something like this:
    'Oh look guys, green drives are selling really poorly. I know, let's call them blue drives, since blue drives sell better, and we can then sell more of them. Brilliant!'.

A turd by any other name still smells like s*!t. Of course, now they will be selling them with a blue label, they will likely charge more. You know, because blue drives are better, and everyone knows a red Ferrari goes faster.

4. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    If I wanted that, I'd buy blacks or enterprise tbh.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    WTF!? Didn't know that. OP, thanks for the heads up.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

All this has done is devalued all Western Digital Blue drives, including those that were always Blue drives to begin with. They should have EOL'd the Green drives that they are renaming and focused on Blue drives.

If they were smart they would have NEVER have announced this, and instead heavily updated their Green drives and added them to the Blue range with different model numbers. However in doing so, making sure that the drives are clearly distinguishable from current Green drives so people don't make assumptions. This includes having different transfer rates etc so people can't say it's just relabelled. If the new drives are consistently 5 MB/s faster, they can't be the same, right? It's poor marketing by Western Digital. It looks like they think the Green drives have a good rapport. However, if this was they case, they wouldn't be needing to remarket them in the first place.

7. Phillevo

Phillevo Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 980Ti amp!
    Well that's weird!