Memory clock not applying

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by niclights, Jun 26, 2007.

1. niclights

niclights Active Member

Most confused... again!

I had finished playing with settings long ago, all tested stable etc. but suddenly I notice today that memory clock is running at stock according to RT graph.

I've tried turning off oc'ing, rebooting etc. but no matter what I do memory clock settings seem to just be ignored? It was working....

XP 32/8800gts & back with FW 97.78

Any suggestions?

As an aside, core clock is fine although I did observe that after hitting 'apply' the core remains at the oc speed as if RT has confused forceware? This always occurs if I alter/apply but once restarted everything's normal. Is it just me?

/edit: As an update I decided it must be driver related and installed 158.27. Now mem clock is working from windows start but [test] does not seem to function and [apply] has no effect during runtime. I assume this likely related to:

?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's a known ForceWare's 9x.xx bug for 8800 (which is marked as open issue in the ForceWare's release notes, btw). The driver's refuse to change memory clock in dual display configuration. There are two fixes:

1) Upgrading drivers to 158.xx, where the problem is officially fixed.
    2) Using single display configuration, if you wish to stay at 97.xx

No. There are no issues with test/apply. You're misunderstanding something.

3. niclights

niclights Active Member

Ahh, thankyou, that makes perfect sense now! I originally performed all tests with single display. Then I moved to dual display but with 100.87 (experiments with softquad etc.) Moved back to 97.xx since I was getting occasional STOP error & trying to eliminate. Disappointed in myself for missing the driver release notes. Must try harder....

Hmmm. Strange then. Since installing 158.27 when I hit [test] I don't get a progress bar, just a flicker of both displays. Adjustments won't apply immediately but will on system start. Having said that, following my original post I noticed videos wouldn't play. Turning off OC fixed. Methinks I've rather confused something!

Maybe I should do the driver cleaner thing and start fresh? Uninstall/reinstall RT? At least it is clear to me now that I need 158.xx for dual display.

Thanks for your time & advice. Is much appreciated :)

(PS. I was working in Moscow two weeks ago and was most impressed by the traffic...!)

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Progress bar is not supposed (!!!) to be displayed when performing stress-test on a card with 2D/3D clocks. That have not changed for years, so I guess that it is your first NVIDIA card or first NVIDIA card with 2D/3D clocking. And FAQ clearly explains it:

Q: Starting from version RC15 I see no progress bar when testing clock frequencies on my GeForceFX. Is it normal?
    A: Yes, it is normal. This version introduced instantaneous driver-level stress test feature. There is no need for displaying any progress bar because the test is performed in a split second.

Also, 3D clocks are not supposed (!!!) to be reflected on the graphs immediately too. I recommend you to invest some time in reading FAQ and especially questions related to 2D/3D clocking basics. I quit the thread, sorry.

5. niclights

niclights Active Member

Ok. Sorry! I have read FAQ many times but it's easy to miss things.

I do fully understand about 2D/3D clocks being determined at driver level, but the reason I had questioned this (and presumably missed the info in your guide) was before with same card and various drivers I had always seen the progress bar and settings were visible on graph after apply. So I don't know why that was happening!