Canon 5DS and 5DSR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by uberdruid, Feb 6, 2015.

1. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
  2. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    Good news is I don't feel any compulsion to upgrade from my 5DIII. I have no need nor desire for huge files, the AF is the same, the ISO performance is worse.

3. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Totally agree, happy with my 5dmkIII and have little interest in HUGE files.

4. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    About the ISO... i still have an EOS 450D. The ISO goes up to a blochy 1600.
    To be honest, i don't mind 12800. It will be clear. And it's 50MP! Underexpose your image by 1 stop when taking it.
    Then overexpose it in lightroom by 1 stop and it'll be the equivalent of double that ISO.
    Plus, it means that the MKiii will be cheaper now.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    from what i've read rumour has it that the 50 mpx is a sony sensor (which i believe sony actually do have a 50mpx sensor so very possible, especially looking at the max native ISO of 6400 which is like the D800/10) therefore it should mean improved dynamic range and also much better shadow noise performance (particularly when it comes to banding effect) compared to current crop of canon sensors which would appeal to me as a landscaper (also with the high mpx count helps crop-ability when it comes to macro) but the low native ISO does make me worry about high ISO noise performance though...this is not a camera that would appeal to event/wedding shooters as much i don't think which makes me think there will be a 5D4 down the pipeline as well

tbh i would've been very happy if it was something like ~30mpx but with useable ISO 25600...also throw in AF point linked spot metering then i am sold!

as it is i wonder if any of the current high end lenses can resolve a 50mpx sensor...could potentially be a lot of wasted pixel there...also dealing with such high resolution good shooting technique becomes even more important as i can imagine things like missed focus and camera shake would become even more apparent

but as of now unless reviews show vast improvement in IQ i can't see myself wanting to buy the new 5Ds/sR

6. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900
    I'm finding the crappy AF on the 6D is really beginning to annoy me and was holding out on an update to the 5D mark III.

The AF is better than the 6D on the 5DS/R but the ISO limitation is seriously worrying.

Canon's NFC and WIFI implementation does make the 5DR/S it slightly more compelling for me than the mark III. While to some I know it's generally a toy, I found that wifi on the 6D along with my iPad has made for quite a productive workflow.

Will wait for some reviews before doing anything but I'm with you generally bballfreak6. Some love given to the current 5D to elevate it's shortcomings would have been more appreciated than implementing an addition to the lineup.

It just feels like Canon did the worst thing possible and went off chasing pixels.

Still, if dynamic range and improvements in showing are offered it might be a complement to my 6D rather than an out and out replacement.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed with sirrith. What's up with the megapixel race?? As you mentioned, you'll only end up with 50+ mb per image, poor high iso performance and less fps when shooting in continuous mode for sports...

What's wrong with 12, 16 or 24 mp? Unless your printing bill board pictures 50mp is far too much...

8. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Manufacturers trying to sneak their way into studios. Even though you don't need it, some magazines/fashion companies
    require a digital mf camera due to the huge MP count a hassy or phase one has. I don't particularly care about MP, as long as it's above 16MP.

9. JasmineJas

JasmineJas Guest

GPU:
    64-bit
    I have 5d mk 3 and wish to switch to 5ds but i am kind of uncertain for the reason of the low light issue and the fact of it s a less flexible camera, think it needs the proper light... .
    I do some events and still life..product pack shots...and portraits