Do camera lens filters take sharper/better images?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by death_samurai, May 1, 2014.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I'm toying around with the idea. Either get a dslr or maybe attach a filter on my camera lens and see if the images come out better.

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Erm, no, not sharper.

Filters are good to use if you know what you're doing. I only ever use nd gradual filters for landscapes.

3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Filters don't magically make an image better, unless you're using it for a specific purpose. like eclap said.

ND for landscapes etc, CPL's for getting rid of reflections etc.

4. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Can someone just tell me what ND does for landscapes?

5. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
  6. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    As a rule of thumb, the more glass you have the worse the photo quality will be.
    Having said that, some filters are very good quality and can enhance a photo like ND (neutral density) or polarising filters.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Filters are good for changing the colour of your pictures. They have nothing to do with quality.

8. dug011

dug011 Member

GPU:
    GTX8800
    I have to disagree a bit. Filters do not just change colour, and they can definitely improve your image. Specifically...

ND (neutral density) filters can help when you are looking for a longer exposure or just dropping down a stop or 2 when you are dealing with over exposure

Split ND filters work well for landscapes or even flash photography. Picture sun glasses, but gradient clear to dark

Polarising filters rock when you want to reduce reflections, increase clarity

Regarding colour filters, they can be applied in so many ways. I particularly loved a red filter for bringing out very hi contrast when shooting B&W on my film cameras. However, in the digital age color filters really are not required or needed any longer. They can be applied post process as well.

I have yet to see where the extra glass of a filter has negatively affected an exposure... unless it was supposed to or was used incorrectly. :)

9. Citizen47

Citizen47 Guest

GPU:
    Asus 680 GTX 2 GB OC
    Filters are a tool and as with all tools, if used correctly they will help and assist. They all serve a unique purpose. In terms of sharpness I rarely see any camera filters that will help any sharpness, however clarity is something else, and dealing with exposure shots as well.

I think a lot can be done in post "production" and in general filters are only for special occasions and needs.