No more facebook contests. Please?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Valagard, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Is there a specific reason you keep doing these contests on Facebook?

I mean yeah, your average joe person uses facebook, a great deal of us though I bet on this very website though HATE facebook with a passion.

Again, is there a specific reason you keep holding these contests through facebook?

Why not Tumblr? Why not Twitter? Two MUCH better alternatives, and ones that don't try to borg up every last lick of personal information you do.

Unless you're being paid by facebook to run these contests, in which case never mind.

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    How about we run them on here and all you have to do is PM your email or something.

3. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I don't care where, just anywhere but facebook.

I wouldn't mine facebook is they didn't monitor ABSOLUTELY EVER IOTA OF STUFF I DO TO SELL ME ****.

Seriously they're so bad they TIME how long it takes for you to click between certain things to gauge your interests, and not just what you click

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I assume there is a revenue connection for the site and facebook or terms set by partners that have given Guru3d stuff to give away as long as HH uses facebook.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Get with the program #granddad, Facebook is a way of life now.

ps, I hate Facebook and I've never been a member.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well we would have greater chances of winning if it is a forum-only contest :p Down with Facebook! We are the 1%!

7. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Yeah I don't think "3d gurus" are the Facebook type.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'll let Hilbert comment here, but suffice it to say, if you don't want to use Facebook, you don't have to enter the contests. Nobody is forcing you. You're essentially saying: "I want the chance to win free stuff, but I want to have that chance on MY terms and not have to use something I don't like".

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i dont get the hate with facebook.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I know right, Facebook just breeds and spreads like a disease.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interesting. what harm does it do then ?

12. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I'm detecting sarcasm there. But regardless, Facebook, like most other web monopolies mines user data and could care less about user privacy and rights.

Mark Zuckerberg could give a **** about your privacy yet from his monopoly money, is sure to buy up property around his own home to guard his own privacy. Those services and sites are for the lowest hanging fruits to use. There's a few better alternatives these days: https://prism-break.org/en/subcategories/windows-social-networks/

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    sarcasm.:p

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I guess some people think it's overrated.

Seriously though, I do know some people who take it very seriously and what they actually do kinda makes me think WTF??

I often see people posting pictures of food. Why would someone keep posting pictures of food? Who cares for crying out loud!

Also I've seen people taking selfies when at the airport and saying ''Me leaving the airport'' . Several hours later another selfie in the other airport saying ''Me arrived'' . I mean who gives a ****, lol.

Literally everything some people do have to post it in Facebook and spend hours and hours of their daily life browsing and posting utter nonsense in Facebook.

In my opinion, Facebook is overrated and taken VERY seriously by some in the sense they cannot live without it. Even at work the need to use Facebook is there...

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You guys block ads, you don't want to subscribe to news letters, now we can't use facebook either ? You also choose alternatives YOU think are better, thus they suit your opinion.

The facebook contest is often requested by the manufacturer for the simple reason that is easily accessible to large crowds. So your perception of FB certainly isn't mine.

Roughly 15% of this website is forum traffic however roughly 80 % of the Guru3D.com website visitors uses or has Facebook. This is all about connecting and reaching out to as many possible readers to make these actions a success which in the end drives more people to Guru3D.com

You somehow have the idea that these contests should be be for forum readers ? Well if we hold contests for the forum guys only our entries will drop from 3000 to perhaps 300. You can rest assured that a party like Gigabyte will not be interested in giving away a 600 EURO graphic card and take care of worldwide shipping + import taxes.

We choose facebook for the ease of use and massive reach. If you hate facebook, then don't join up in these contests.

Sorry, but it is as simple as that.

- Oh and to your last comment. I do not make a single cent out of these competitions. These things are supposed to be a fun extra activity from my side.

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

Why would you mind if other people need to express their feelings on the internet ?
    I really dont understand.

Its a social thing, no different from sending a SMS,forum usage,twitter, Whatsapp or giving a phonecall.

Its great that people can be connected everywhere imo.

So what if they spend hours and hours on facebook ? Is that really different from doing other stuff for hours and hours ? Doesnt it matter more that the person is happy doing it ?

We all have different hobbies in this world, and i concider facebook one of them.

No im actually being serious. Im a facebook user, and i see no negative things about it. seriously.
    Im not forced in any way to use it and have never had a negative impact because i use it.

Nope i wasnt. While they might mine for data im not scared of it yet.
    if you want privacy , the internet surely isnt a good place to start. facebook or not.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  17. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    There is privacy on the web, you just have to use the right things and do the right things. Facebook ain't one of those things.

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Like using a VPN/Anonymous server or a proxy? These are just a few ways of having privacy.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    There is no privacy if ISP have to store all your internet traffic.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No true privacy on internet no matter how you spin it. Every damn company mines data now and have been doing since forever. If you do not want to use things like facebook then do not. But it is very clear that it helps to reach larger audience with these competitions.

There was a time when I was scared but nah. I do not care for one second anymore. And blocking ads on this site is stupid for people doing so booo.