Frodo is stupid!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NoviceRei, Nov 15, 2014.

1. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i just re-watched LOTR, and i'm just very annoyed with Frodo on all 3 films. ~_~ he's so weak in everything! his will, his physique and his mental capacity are so weak on the films that he often brings trouble to whomever he is with. Sam is the hero, for if he is not with him, he wouldn't have even gotten off shire... Even Merry and Pippin has better characters in the films. ~_~

He's a damsel, and such a pain to watch his decision making ~_~

/RANT

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't watch LOTRs again?

Generally when something annoys me, I don't bother with it again

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Its really hard to have clear thoughts when you have a goddamned cursed ring in your goddamn pocket, and every night he hears sauron's voices.

And lets not forget him getting slashed by a Nazgul.

4. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    I didn't really got into the story when I first watched it, and I've been wanting to re-watch the trilogy for a long time now. But man, I honestly didn't remember Frodo was this annoying in the film!

@CalculuS

Yes, but Sam is still the hero between the two of them. Sam whom he betrayed, and tried to kill as well. Frodo is the stereotypical 'damsel in distress'.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's one of those films that I can watch when I'm in the right mood, like a lazy Sunday afternoon, I can remember him being weak though - sorta makes you wish you could re-write some of his parts to give him a bit of masculinity instead of being a dweeb

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Kind of flims I watch once but I dont watch again. Lotr and hobbit all a borefest after viewing firstime. Infact most of the movies today I cannot watch more than once unlike movies of years ago in the 1980s and early to mid 1990s.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im the same, I tend to not watch something more than once, there are exceptions though, for some reason I used to love watching Twins with Arnie, can't stand it now, and the Terminator movies, I think I've kinda grown out of Arnie films now, used to be my childhood hero - they say not to meet your heros or you'll hate them, in my case, I didn't have to

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This +1

If it wasn't for Sam, Frodo would have been butt-f*cked before he left the Shire.

It's especially annoying to watch Gollum mind-f*ck Frodo and turn him against Sam in the third film.

For ficks sake, grow a pair will ya Frodo :banana:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have extended edition on DVDs and the Appendices disks were so interesting to watch. May be more interesting then the movie itself. The crew did so great job and additional materials show that creativity work in details. Also the crew became a true family and I did feel really envious watching their work and relationship.

NoviceRei, did you read the book? If not then why wasting time on someone else`s imagination when you can use yours.

10. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I'm not much of a nostalgia dude but I gotta agree here.

11. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Well, he carries a Ring that makes even superior races crap their pants or become evil retarded ashholes in minutes.

And he does it for weeks/months... so the guy has a pass for his f@ckups in my book. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You need to remember he is also fighting the power of the one ring. Look at what it did to Bilbo and Smeagol (Gollum). There's a big reason he seems weak, and a large part is due to his fighting the urge to put on the ring.

13. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    I think this is a clear point at the core of both the LOTR books and movies: how easily power can turn you into an arsehole.

14. shamsherr

shamsherr Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x 3Gb
    i agree with u, but frodo was chosen because he can bear the burden of the ring without getting corrupted by it, not because he can handle himself

15. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    The Journey to Mount Doom took 6 months but he was in possession of the One Ring for 17 years before he left the Shire.

Frodo was 33 when Bilbo left him the ring, he was 50 when he left the Shire, the ring slowed down his aging though so he still looked in his 30s. In the film he leaves the Shire a few weeks after he received the ring.

16. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    admittedly, i have not read any of the books. but still, PJ's portrayal of Frodo is that he's too frail in all aspects. How can Gandalf and Elrond oversee this? Sam may have been a better ringbearer than Frodo.

Also, Frodo was not chosen, he volunteered to be the ringbearer since no one wants to.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    For me there are more strange decisions made by PJ and company.
    How Nazgul can beat Gendalf in third part?
    Why Arwen was played by beautiful but rather corpulent Liv Tyler?
    Why Galadriel who should stun with her beauty was played by talented but rather average looking Cate Blanchett?
    Why elven guards did not want to pass the Fellowship to the place where Galadriel lives?

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    That is the type of character Frodo is. The story boils down to good versus evil. So along those lines there are times we are not strong enough to defeat evil on our own and need to depend on the strength of others. The theme of needing to depend on others is all throughout the story.

EDIT:

Beauty is subjective. There are more things that make up beauty than physical atributes.

Galadriel leads a splinter group of Elves.

19. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, in fact Frodo proves several times that real strength is not what it seems on the surface. All the other companions of the fellowship are not strong enough to bear the ring, and this is proven time after time.

Frodo shows the bravest decision-making and the strongest will along the way to get the job done (even if he f@cks up sometimes).

That is the reason for Gandalf to manipulate Frodo around, he is the only character that can resist the evil influence for long enough (up to the end) while others get either freaked out just at the idea of possesing it (Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, ... even Aragorn, which represents the "purest heart" among the humans) or get too affected (the other hobbits that get in touch with the ring or the Sauron's influence are not able to endure it as much as Frodo).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  20. jesped

jesped Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I have mixed memories from the movies and the books. The point is that Frodo is the character that holds the best chances of avoiding the influence of the ring because he is a being that does not seek power or even change. His desire at the start of the story is that everything continues to be just the same.

The only character that is able to be totally unaffected by the Ring (the representation of Power) is Tom Bombadil, which I remember at a point in the books wears the Ring and doesn't care for it at all, a character that was not included in the movies for being too weird.

It would have been awesome to see Tom Bombadil and Golden Bay on the Extended/DC versions, but we didn't got lucky on that. :(

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014