Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Old
  (#26)
CalculuS
Maha Guru

Videocard: 6950 Asus DC2U
Processor: I7 920 4.1ghz 1.3v
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz/CL8
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: EVGA 500W
Default 07-18-2017, 15:50 | posts: 2,747 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
Perhaps consider making it a Yammy/Suzuki etc hybrid to increase the choice of parts.
Assuming your country allows your bike to be modded.
Clear it with your insurance as some modifications might null the policy if undeclared.
Insurance is very lax on modifications at all. There are only safety rules for vehicle frame structure/brake lights/mirrors which don't even apply to a lot of smaller bikes.

The bike uses a Minarelli AM6 engine and Derbi, Aprillia, Yamaha and Rieju all use this engine so engine parts are widespread but anything else is not compatible at all. The Yamaha TZR50/Aprillia RS50/Derbi GPR50/Rieju RS2 50 all look the same but literally none of the fairings or other parts fit besides the transmission/engine.

Old
  (#27)
IcE
Don Snow

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Mainboard: Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400
Soundcard: Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 07-19-2017, 06:10 | posts: 10,640 | Location: Toledo

Good idea. I'm pretty knowledgeable about working on cars. I've spent the last two years teaching myself. Guess it was the natural evolution from growing up working on computers as a kid.

For starters I'm gonna chime in about the broken spring bit. In the UK, a spring can break simply from corrosion and nothing else. Same in certain parts of the U.S. Australia? Not so much
I've seen snapped springs on so many Ford products in particular. The coils aren't treated well enough for long term abuse by salt. On the Taurus in particular they love to snap, spin around, and puncture your tire as an extra insult to your wallet.

Old
  (#28)
thatguy91
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
Processor: Ryzen 1700X
Mainboard: MSI X370Gaming Pro Carbon
Memory: DDR3-3733@3333 C15 16 GB
Soundcard: Onboard ALC1220 Nahimic 2
PSU: Enermax Platimax 750W
Default 07-19-2017, 09:35 | posts: 6,422 | Location: Australia

They tried to introduce the Taurus here in the late 90's, possibly as a Falcon replacement, however it ended in a tremendous failure. The build quality was atrocious, and even with cars a couple of years old it was more the case of trying to identify parts that weren't breaking, already broken, or abnormally wearing in some way. That's if the car made it that long!

Old
  (#29)
Evildead666
Master Guru

Videocard: R9-290 HO@1100/1300 Cust
Processor: i5-3750K HO@4.2G H100i
Mainboard: ASRock z77 ATX
Memory: 4x4Gb DDR3-2133
Soundcard:
PSU: 850W
Default 07-19-2017, 11:10 | posts: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
My thoughts... maybe:
It looks to be increased bearing noise when the suspension places the car correctly.
How this can manifest I wonder.
If the bearing is in good condition it would have to be extra stress placed on the bearing, not sure how that can happen.
Or perhaps the bearing(s) are worn but not so much that they show a problem when the wheel is free running in the air so havent been diagnosed.
An inspection is needed.

I have to wonder if the angle of wheel to the road changes when the suspension compresses.
This would help explain the difference now one strut is an inch lower.
If one tyre is slightly tilted it may reduce the contact patch on the road, decreasing noise and friction.
But I cant see how this explains a huge change in noise and the car still runs straight.
It's definitely a bit of a worry, as I'm sure the noise will come back when youve fixed the spring.
The wheel angle shouldn't change that much, especially if its front wheel drive. The rear will just be on a swing arm, that goes vertically.

I suppose it could have been the spring rumbling, if it was a little loose. The fact that its compressed now, would get rid of the slack, and the rumbling.
I don't think its the bearing, it would make the same noise all the time, no matter what the spring is doing...

Old
  (#30)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: Oppo 205, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 07-19-2017, 14:21 | posts: 10,205 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildead666 View Post
It's definitely a bit of a worry, as I'm sure the noise will come back when youve fixed the spring.
The wheel angle shouldn't change that much, especially if its front wheel drive. The rear will just be on a swing arm, that goes vertically.

I suppose it could have been the spring rumbling, if it was a little loose. The fact that its compressed now, would get rid of the slack, and the rumbling.
I don't think its the bearing, it would make the same noise all the time, no matter what the spring is doing...
Nothing really makes sense.
I visited the garage a moment ago to ask their opinion.
They said keep driving it as it is lol.
They havent any idea why it is more responsive now, but the main guy wasnt in. I'm booked to see him next week.

Last edited by Mufflore; 07-19-2017 at 14:25.

Old
  (#31)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1080ti @2GHz+ air silent!
Processor: 6700K @4.6GHz
Mainboard: Maximus VIII Hero
Memory: 16GB LPX 3000 @3600
Soundcard: Oppo 205, TL+Ribbon spks
PSU: Corsair AX750
Default 07-19-2017, 14:22 | posts: 10,205 | Location: United states of Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
I'm gonna chime in about the broken spring bit. In the UK, a spring can break simply from corrosion and nothing else. Same in certain parts of the U.S. Australia? Not so much
I've seen snapped springs on so many Ford products in particular. The coils aren't treated well enough for long term abuse by salt. On the Taurus in particular they love to snap, spin around, and puncture your tire as an extra insult to your wallet.
My feeling too.
The car had been stood in water before I got it, I figured this was probably responsible for the break.
This is why I'm replacing both entire shocks to remove future issues.