Windows 10 Build 15042

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by lucidus, Feb 24, 2017.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No timebomb or watermark in this build!

Changelog:
    Known Issues:

What’s new in Build 15042
    New Cortana animation in OOBE (PC): We know how much you love animations, so we wanted to share with you our updated Cortana persona that you’ll see when you land on the Cortana page in OOBE:

[​IMG]

Prompt to enable Flash in Microsoft Edge (PC): Back in Build 15002, we introduced click-to-run Flash by default in Microsoft Edge, for better security and performance across the Web. In today’s build, we’ve added a new dialog in the URL bar to make it clearer when Flash content has been blocked. Just click the puzzle icon to allow Flash once or every time you return to the same site.

[​IMG]

Improved reading experience with Microsoft Edge: You loved the new Edge reading experience and gave us a TON of feedback. Here are some we implemented:
    When reading a locally saved EPUB book in Microsoft Edge on PC, a book icon will now be used in the place of the previous generic in the tab bar.

If you switch pages while an EPUB book is being read aloud in Microsoft Edge, the reader will now jump to that new location in the book.
    If you’ve changed the read aloud settings when reading an EPUB in Microsoft Edge, those settings will now be preserved for subsequently opened books.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...er-preview-build-15042-pc-build-15043-mobile/

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Interesting , coudl this be it ??

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Neah, I doubt it. The final few builds of the anniversary update also didn't have the timebomb and watermark though.

BTW does update driver in device manager look like this for anyone else?

[​IMG]

4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Yeh same problem here.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's supposed to look like that.

Is there another source other than the fast ring to download this build?

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think it's has looked identical to that before, similar but it now looks "a bit wrong"

Liking this build so far, as good as the last and the settings/bluetooth issue has now been fixed :)

7. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    it was listed as 15042.rs2
    must be the Redstone2 we've been waiting on..

8. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    When are they going to release that so called HUGE update??? In March correct?

If that's the case, I'll pass this build and wait for that one, this build is working solid.

Using Build Revision 15031.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The whole point of the Insider builds is about testing new versions and having a wider test sample than their internal team to find bugs, as well as to give input into new features etc. The fact that 15031 runs fine for you is irrelevant, it just kinds of suggests you use the builds to have something later, rather than to be what the program is intended for and that is a willing participant as a product tester in order to improve the product.

If your comment was along the lines of sticking with 15031 for now because you had issues with 15042 that's different and not an unreasonable statement :).

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This build is significantly more stable than 15031 in my experience. The latter would have numerous shellexperiencehost and runtimebroker crashes but here it's smooth sailing. If anyone's curious, it won't be a bad idea to run it when it hits the slow ring.

11. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    At first when i Installed this build, My desktop icons wouldnt save, they kept resetting everytime i rebooted, so I went back to 15031 and reinstalled this build again, and so far It has been completely fine no issues so far!

12. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Happened with a few last builds here. The fix was to right click desktop, view, tick auto arrange icons and then untick it. That did the trick for me.

13. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Install went as smooth as butter. WU progress bar issues solved, and for the first time since the early 150xx builds, I had the AMD AHCI driver and other chipset drivers installed instead of just using the basic Microsoft ones. And no storport.sys BSOD's or crashes of any kind on install anymore. Don't know if that was fixed in a build before this since I didn't want to hassle with it at the time, buy yay for that being fixed.

Really only bug I still have is with Edge where the rare website won't load instead giving me a save prompt for an html file, and the Nexus mods site still has the drop down menus coming up behind ad space.

Last estimate I saw was April. Barring any major breaking though I'm not seeing how this couldn't be finished in March. But then again I dont' know how much under the hood stuff they might have left to fix.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Only annoyance I have with this build is they shifted Defender's settings to that new app. Going from move all kinds of settings to Settings to another app for one exception? Ugh. I hope they reverse it. In settings all we have right now is a bunch of version numbers instead of ... settings.

Edge is also largely fixed and the only trouble I have with it is sometimes the content of tabs don't respond to clicks unless it is refreshed or reopened in a new tab. Middle click doesn't change the cursor when scrolling either. I'm sure these will be fixed. Edge is markedly more useful because of Tampermonkey though lol.

Oh yeah and this will surely be done by mid March and GA'd by early April. It still shows version as 1607 so it's 100% not RTM. Besides, the spectrum bug is still there for some people and Hello is broken. No way they're shipping those.

Overall I like the creator's update only because it is less buggy than the AU from what I'm seeing. Not much creating going on though.

In some 6-8 months another update is anticipated (ugh). All we know so far is the heads on the taskbar and translucency in the crappy apps. So innovative.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's only so much you can do to an OS visually. The issue for Microsoft is that for Windows, if people see no change then there is no change in their minds so what's the point? The 'ironic' thing is, the very same people would jump on a new iOS or Android version because it's newer so must be better :).

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    does dragging url to desktop work again now ? (making shortcut)

17. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    OMG TY!

So annoying.

18. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Anyone can please check if this build is showing PPPOE connections in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections? Or found an alternate way to share the internet connection of a PPPOE connection.

19. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Did a fresh install and so far, it seems pretty stable. Much better than the last one.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anyone tried this or any recent RS2 builds on a PC with 4GB RAM? This thing uses around 50% more RAM after boot on my PC with mostly MS services ie. from 2.2GB to 3.1GB. It obviously is not an issue on my PC but I was thinking of installing it on an older laptop with 3.78GB (or something like that) RAM. Windows separates svchost if it detects more than 3.5GB RAM. I hope it won't be too much trouble on a 4GB machine because browsers also use hundreds of MB's by themselves these days.