Windows 10 Build 15055

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

Other changes, improvements, and fixes for PC

• If you have Symantec/Norton anti-virus software installed on your PC, you should no longer get an 0x80070228 error when attempting to download this build. Symantec released updated anti-virus definitions last week that fixes this issue. Please make sure your Symantec/Norton anti-virus software has the most up-to-date anti-virus definitions BEFORE taking trying to install today’s build.
    • PCs should no longer fail to update to this build at 71% and roll-back to the previous build.
    • If you have additional language packs installed, this build should install just fine.
    • We fixed an issue where sometimes the context menu when right-clicking a misspelled word in Microsoft Edge would launch in an unexpected place or under the Edge window.
    • When using “Cast media to device” in Microsoft Edge, it will now open the Connect pane (also seen when using Win + K).
    • We fixed an issue from recent builds where Microsoft Edge might immediately show a “Not responding” state after opening a link or pasting a URL in a new tab.
    • We fixed an issue where sometimes the tab mouse-over description tooltips in Microsoft Edge would stay on the screen even after closing the relevant tab.
    • We fixed an issue that could result in Microsoft Edge unexpectedly attempting to download certain webpages rather than navigating to them when the uBlock Origin extension was enabled.
    • We fixed an issue where it wasn’t possible to use touch to set focus to text boxes in Microsoft Edge’s Web Notes in order to enter text.
    • We fixed an issue where, after using Ctrl + W to close multiple tabs in Microsoft Edge at once, the active tab might lose focus and keyboard shortcuts would stop working until moving focus away from and back to the tab.
    • We fixed an issue recently where if you have selected text in Microsoft Edge, moved focus away from the window, then returned focus using Alt + Tab or the mouse, trying to copy the selected text wouldn’t work. We also fixed a recent issue where if you used Ctrl + C to copy selected text in the Edge URL bar, and then Ctrl + Shift + P to open a new InPrivate window or Ctrl + N to open a new regular window, using Ctrl + V to paste the copied URL into the new window’s address bar wouldn’t work.
    • We fixed an issue for Insiders where, if focus was set to a Microsoft Edge window, touchpad and keyboard input might periodically stop working for a few seconds at a time.
    • We fixed an issue for Insiders with multiple monitors resulting in flickering and rendering issues when the Hub button in Microsoft Edge was pressed.
    • We fixed an issue where Insiders with multiple monitors might find one of their monitors would stop rendering (with the exception of the mouse).
    • We fixed an issue resulting in Microsoft Groove sometimes no longer rendering correctly after snapping the app to one side of the monitor and changing the size.
    • We fixed an issue from recent flights resulting in the taskbar getting into a state where many of the thumbnail previews would be unexpectedly blank.
    • We fixed an issue for certain USB-powered monitors where the taskbar clock would sometimes stop rendering for a few minutes (seemingly stuck, but would refresh on mouse-over).
    • We fixed an issue where the battery flyout would crash the second time the battery icon in the taskbar was clicked.
    • We fixed an issue from recent flights resulting in OneDrive.exe unexpectedly sometimes running with a high percent CPU for a long time.
    • We fixed an issue that Insiders may have experienced resulting in paste not working if the copied content was from a UWP app that was currently suspended.
    • We fixed an issue where certain devices were unexpectedly not being discovered when searching for available pairings to add in Bluetooth & Other Devices Settings.
    • We fixed an issue where for those with certain printers, clicking on “More settings” in the UWP app print dialog would result in the print dialog hanging.
    • We fixed a recent issue where many of the advanced settings dialogs, such as the one seen when searching for driver updates, were grey or had grey components instead of the expected white.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in Windows Defender Antivirus notifications not opening Windows Defender Security Center when clicked.
    • We fixed an issue resulting in a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library error dialog citing a TabTip.exe runtime error unexpectedly appearing on the login screen for some Insiders.

Known issues for PC

• If you did the workaround to fix the corrupted registry key to get Build 15042, please DO this to re-enabled IPv6.
    • Some PCs may fail to update to Build 15002 and higher due to SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE error.
    • Some apps and games may crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build. Specifically, this issue affects new user accounts that were created on Build 15031. The misconfiguration can continue to persist after upgrading to later builds. The ACL on the registry key incorrectly denies access to the user and you can delete the following registry key to get out of this state:HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo

• There is a bug in this build that can cause a number of inbox apps to fail to launch (such as Store). If you run into this, you can reset the app by going to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Store > Advanced Options and pressing the “Reset” button. which should allow you to use the app as normal. However, please note this issue also prevents you from taking any app updates from the Store. A workaround for this is to uninstall the app and reinstall the app from the Store. This issue will be fixed in the next build.
    • There is a bug where if you need to restart your PC due to a pending update like with the latest Surface firmware updates, the restart reminder dialog doesn’t pop up. You should check Settings > Update & security > Windows Update to see if a restart is required.
    • In the last build, we noted that we had fixed the issue where some UWP apps may unexpectedly appear with their app package name in the title bar as opposed to the app name. However, Insiders reported back that they were still seeing apps showing their app package name in the title bar. Thanks to Insiders who gave us this feedback, a second bug was discovered causing the same issue.
    • [GAMING] Certain hardware configurations may cause the broadcast live review window in the Game bar to flash Green while you are Broadcasting. This does not affect the quality of your broadcast and is only visible to the Broadcaster.
    • Issues may occur when exploring pages using the F12 Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge with cross-origin iframes (e.g. the DOM explorer shows only the iframe DOM, the Console frame selector doesn’t list the iframes, etc.).
    • Pressing F12 to open the Developer Tools in Microsoft Edge while F12 is open and focused may not return focus to the tab F12 is opened against, and vice-versa.
    • Surface Pro 3 devices will fail to update to new builds if a SD memory card is inserted. To take a new build, remove the SD memory card. You can re-insert the SD memory card after the latest build is installed.
    Source:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ows-10-insider-preview-build-15055-pc-mobile/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    cool , downloading now

3. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Hmm nightlight switch in display doesnt work. when i go into its properties and turn it off there it does work.

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I hope I don't encounter that store bug. I've had enough of problems with that damned thing for one lifetime!

The onedrive thing is interesting to note. I did encounter it on a VHD. Good to know it was a bug.

My download is stuck at 75% for around 10 minutes. Odd. Must've happened in the past too because I remember being annoyed at it taking 40 minutes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Installed it, took 70 minutes for the download!

The night light switch in Settings indeed doesn't work. Action center toggle, which is what I normally use, does work thankfully.

Task bar previews seem to be working normally, the device manager prompt in update drivers has been fixed, store is mercifully not displaying the known issue from the changelog, and the defender program has been removed. UWP version is the only available option now.

Nvidia drivers still require a reinstall to properly work.

When will they fix UAC and file copy prompts not coming into focus!? Ugh.

Version 1703 in system info but the watermark on desktop is still there.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The download is a bit above 1 GB due to the delta-UUP where it downloads the difference data (At least with 15048) though it then combines and unpacks all this which takes far longer than the full ESD downloads took to prepare, install phase itself can take a while too at least the initial 1/3rd with the file installation. (2/3rd being the drivers and stuff and then 3/3rd being finalization with the last bit done when logging on for the first time with the new build.)

Working well so far, still a couple of known issues so still a build or two until a possible RTM candidate I guess, changed the watermark a bit too and it's 1703 now instead of 1604 for that other version number.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How long did it take for you?

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I had no such problem. I think you are cursed. :(

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Download and prepping took about half a hour and then about another hour and a half for the install to finish after that first reboot.

And I just notice the Win10 Store has a update available from .something.85 to .something.87 but it errors out, thankfully this is a known issue and should be fixed in the next build, bit vexing that it won't update but I do not really use apps more than needed either with only the non-removable (Well the not easily removable.) system apps installed so it's not a problem as such.

That's just how it is being a Insider I suppose, another week or perhaps another two weeks and the RTM build should be pretty much ready though how many new public releases that means until then is hard to say, guessing two - three more unless they go all out, very hard to say with the fast ring releases since if they wanted they could do daily or bi-daily releases.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ah ok then. Some people were completing the download in a much shorter span of time so I was wondering what's going on.

Run realbench stress test after the upgrade and it will fail with a missing opencl.dll error. It's not properly reinstalling the driver.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah for the install speed well in my case the install and download takes a bit longer due to the mechanical HDD capping out compared to a SSD, straight copy is upwards of 150 MB/s but smaller files and the thing where it combines these delta files for the full package that's what takes time. :D

Bit like the Steam games and it's preload system, SSD handles that without problem but a HDD it can take about half a hour even for a smaller game due to the compression and encryption slowing down the HDD when it unpacks it. :p

Really is time to go for a SSD for the next system upgrade, M.2 in particular unless a new SATA standard comes around soon though even then 600 MB is a improvement over 100 MB ha ha though well a mechanical HDD can still do 150 - 200 MB/s but that's only during ideal conditions whereas usually it tanks down to 50 MB/s or lower which is definitively a bottleneck, sure a SSD might not sustain GB/s speeds all the time either but it's still far faster.

Anyways not much to say about 15055 at the moment, reading the MyDigtalLife topic a bit but people are still in the phase where they request .ESD conversions of the UUP file system so they can do their own ISO installs from that (In every language available.) so not too much info just yet on what else this builds brings though the announcement blog post / build change summary does contain the bigger fixes and known issues already.

Not too much now besides bug fixes until it hits RTM I'm guessing, probably some last-day or so KB update though hopefully they'll be able to work out most - all? - of the major issues prior to the RTM builds release.
    (RS1 had a bit of a rough launch.)

12. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I'm sorry, you were right. Now im cursed too! :( :p

I see luxmark is failing. indeed by the opencl.dll missing. the weird thing is gpu-z and gpu caps viewer show opencl working

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Is there a opencl.dll in the system32 or syswow64 folders? I checked but I'm on AMD and the files are all there though Win10 does reset some of the registry kept settings used by the control panel for the GPU. (And it's context menu right-click shortcut.)

It could just have been unregistered but it doesn't hurt to reinstall the driver though just to be sure, or drivers I guess although it's been working fine here from what I checked.

Realtek and Asus audio, Intel network, AMD and the chipset stuff even if that isn't too critical.

Win10 used to have a real annoyance with putting in over a year old AMD GPU drivers and Realtek audio drivers as part of it's update process in that temp folder on C:\ it creates during install, thankfully just deleting them (Before rebooting and starting the real install process.) worked to retain the current installed drivers and as of these RS2 builds it doesn't seem to happen so I'm glad that's been resolved. :D

14. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    jeeez I keep getting a bluescreen on this build.

I can't find any info about this bluescreen either never seen it before. the error is (KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE), using same drivers and everything has the previous build before this but now I get this error randomly

Droplink to bluescreen error

does anyone have a ISO or ESD link for this build? I wanna try reinstalling and see if that helps.

thanks in advance!

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

ESDs

Code:
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3HDE/f8Z3PSX3p

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh I so read that wrong I thought it release date to RS2 then i looked at the date and we pasted it or is it and it gona take for to get pushed lmao

17. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Same here usually just at desktop, not while gaming or anything. Did a reinstall help?

18. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090

My hero! thanks!

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just tried that scaling over ride option new to the CU. I tried it with notepad++ @ 150% scaling. By default, text looks blurry v/s notepad. I used system override (enhanced) and it looks just fine except for a minor glitch with a part of the bottom of the alphabet "g" being cut off in the menu.
    It seems to be a known issue with the program when I searched online. Too bad, especially with how common it is to have greater than 1080p screens.

[​IMG]

Creator's update with compatibility
    [​IMG]

Significantly better but still not as good as Notepad.

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    15058 coming today