New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

3. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    Thanks!

4. Bladius2018

Bladius2018 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 8GB
    Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable - 12.0.40664 (update 5)
    Code:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032938/update-for-visual-c-2013-redistributable-package

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

5. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Wrong link. You linked Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable - 12.0.40649

I can't find a link for 12.0.40664.

6. Bladius2018

Bladius2018 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 8GB
    I corrected link
    Code:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032938/update-for-visual-c-2013-redistributable-package

7. missyoselin1

missyoselin1 Guest

GPU:
    intel
    Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable - 12.0.40664 (update 5)

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3138367/update-for-visual-c-2013-and-visual-c-redistributable-package

8. Bladius2018

Bladius2018 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 8GB

wrong link, I paste correctly earlier

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

All good! I'll update it over the weekend :)

DeathCoreLeo likes this.
  10. kretex

kretex Member

GPU:
    RX 500 Series 2Gb
    waiting mode on for next update :)

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I was going to release one over the weekend, however there could be a new 2017 runtime this week. If not, I'll release the new version with the updated 2013 runtime, and also update the preview redist installer.

12. Bladius2018

Bladius2018 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 8GB
    when update ?

13. Mintmag

Mintmag Guest

GPU:
    16Ghz

I found this tool to be really useful I wish I could make something like this. I don't suppose you could give us a quick tutorial on how you made this?

14. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Code wise the concept is pretty simple really. Skipping over all the "is it running as admin, reboot needed, etc" stuff, it really just looks at the locations vc redists are installed in and uninstalls whatever is installed. Then runs installers for the latest redists and bingo, everything is up to date. :)

If you want to see more about the functions and try to understand how the installer actually works get 7-Zip to extract the exe file and Notepad++ and have a look yourself.

I love this program, it's extremely useful for someone like me (a tech who does everything but code). Every computer I work on gets a treatment.

The only issue I've run into are certain origin installers (Titanfall 2 and possibly Sims 4 so far) are programmed by monkeys, and require that you have none, or old vc++ 2010(?) redists, else the installer will error out. You can run it again after they complete since any decently maintained HDD only takes 1-2 minutes for this to complete on. (On really poorly kept machines that need a defrag I've seen it take 25+ minutes!)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah for Steam you can just delete the _CommonRedist folder and that's over with, for Origin which also tries to re-run this after or as of the newest client versions even during install well I replace the VC++ and DirectX exe runtimes with dummies of Shell Explorer and those run in it's stead. :p

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Have to keep up with Origin when it updates games though, CRC check or what it is will revert these modified files so have to keep replacing them with dummied versions.

Uplay works in a similar way but starts as the game is first run so it's less of a hassle to dummy out the files for that. :D

And yeah Origin can outright fail the update (Making it start over from scratch.) just for the exe missing in case you were to outright delete the redists.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I kept it as simple as possible to be fast, hopefully reliable! and convenient. I am still updating it don't worry! There are more recent runtimes that I will include in the next version, only reason why I haven't released it yet is that these new runtimes are minor changes. There is possibly an even newer 2017 runtime coming out later this week, in any case I'll update it with the current latest runtimes whatever they may be then. I also have some ideas of minor improvements to the installer and functionality, but that will come later :).

17. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Thanks dude! I was wondering about that. I didn't know you could use dummy files!

Something else cool to know is that if you extract the AMD drivers and use VC++ Bin Remover V2 in the root and bin folders, you can update the internal
    redists in the driver and remove the folders that have the installers in them and it won't fail. I also update the Vulkan runtimes too and delete some of the other excess folders.

It would be cool if VC++ Bin Remover V2 could get a little update to be easier to navigate folders and not open in full screen, and perhaps a button to remove backups from the original folders. (wink)

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Will look into...

Update:
    Have you checked this:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20