Amazon account hacked.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Solfaur, May 31, 2016.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Call amazon's phone or something bro... they are usually quite good with the clients (both people and corps)

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This.

Never save credit card information even if it would be convenient (I've typed those numbers in myself so many times I remember them by heart now) and always have "illogical" answers to recovery questions.

Plus, if possible, do not register accounts involving money transfer / personal information with generic e-mail accounts like Google etc.
    Use an ISP specific or similar e-mail account.

Hope nothing bad turns up anymore for the OP, that's pretty scary what happened after all.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah it was definitely quite the experience. Since most of this happened over night, you can imagine my panic when waking up and seeing all those emails. Props to amazon though, because they shut him down without me notifying them at first, no idea how they did it. Maybe he used some kind of 3rd party software or something they detected, no clue.

What I ended up doing is changing all my passwords, most even I can't remember, wrote them down and removed every sensitive data from OneDrive cloud (which if I'd loose my phone could all be compromised :bang:).

In a way, this whole event was a good thing, it made me so much more aware of how important this stuff is. Even if you have a 100% clean PC (and I always did), there are several other ways to get screwed if you are careless...

4. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G SLI
    I had my Amazon account hacked around the same time too. I ordered a DataVac yesterday and after seeing this thread I went back and deleted my Credit Card info. The hacker tried using my Debit Card to transfer funds out of my bank into their account using something called 'Neteller'. A girl working at Staples in my neighborhood had the exact same thing happen to her and her bank had the presence of mind to trace it back to Amazon while my bank just deleted the transaction since it wasn't mine.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Glad you got it sorted. My hacker only managed a 4$ transaction off my debit card before the whole thing was shut down.

I'm still not entirely sure what it was, but it was definitely not a keylogger. It just so happened that I also upgraded to Windows 10 2 weeks before this happened, but I think (hope) it was just a coincidence. As said, an old, simple password, that I used on 2-3 sites that were known to have been "breached" was most likely the cause. Just like Mark Zuckerberg's account got hacked, if that news story was true lol.

Funny thing, like 1 week ago I got a letter from amazon with a ~170$ gift card, so not only did the hacker somehow convince amazon to refund the 170 straight to the account, but they also send him (me) a physical card with that amount. I tried to type it in, and it was deactivated..., however amazon still didn't bother to delete the other balance from the account, so I still have those 170$ on amazon US.:3eyes:

6. Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G SLI
    My hacker tried to get the whole ball of wax on the first try. My bank deactivated my Debit Card because it was flagged as suspicious activity when it was initiated from Europe. No coincidence it happened when my main PC was down with a blown PSU and I had to use my backup PC with Windows 10 on it. They also managed to change the contact phone number in my bank's data base. They probably changed it with my login information and it uploaded the change to the bank. My bank stated that they declined payment because I didn't answer their repeated attempts to call me on the phone but didn't find it suspicious that the phone number they were calling wasn't mine. When I told them that their system may have been hacked they replied, "That's impossible. We would have been notified". I was under the impression I was notifying them but they didn't want to hear it. LOL

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and which you used on at least 10 other sites, right?

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I used to, in the past. It just so happened that amazon was one of those sites where I had an account for many years, with one of the passwords equally old. 2 of the 3 sites on haveibeenpwned were so old that I didn't even remember having an account on them. And then the 3rd was Skyrim Nexus... and I pretty sure it's that leak that did this, since I had the same email/password for both that and amazon. :bang:

Anyway, now I have a different password for every account, and even changed my email for most that involve payment with cards. :pc1:

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Another thing to know is that the free Bitdefender is not fully compatible with Windows 10. It may seem to be working but it doesn't detect well at all. Bitdefender has acknowledged it and say they will not be fixing it. They're supposed to be working on a new free version but it's not available yet.

Personally, I would recommend the free version of Panda. I have it on 3 systems and it works great. Avast has gotten very bloated.