Heat Question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by moab600, Jul 24, 2014.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Hi guys i have my 780 at the top pci express which operates at X16, down to the card i have a PCI Express x1 STX II and above it the STX II daughterboard.

Now my question is, can that make the 780 to be hotter? cause i think the STXII make it harder for the fans to suck air, and the daugtherboard make the exhaust not so effecient.

If is so, i need to put card to the second PCI E which operate only at X8. so i'll have PCI Express 2.0 x8, would it hit the card performance? or would it be very minimal like 1-2%?

Thank you

2. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Due to very dust - Please should clean very well dust (videocard more important) in PC monthly! ;)

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I do clean often but to my question. Can the stx beneath it cause a hotter gpu?

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I have a SB-Z between my two 7850s, and with it in there my main GPU jumps from 68c to around 75c under full load. I'm running the Asus DirectCUII cooling system so the main fan is 3/4 blocked by the SB-z.
    Depending on your GPUs cooling solution, you may have more or less impact on temps but it will affect it some if it's blocking any fan intakes.

As for your other cards, just move them into any other open PCI-e slots you have available and problem is solved.

5. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    put it in a fridge. problem solved!

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Haha yea i have the amp cooler and it seems that two are blocked by stxii. If it work with x8 would it be bad? Dont think so

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    why don't you try it and see ?

I don't think sound card uses much bandwidth so any slot that supports it
    what does support specs say for STX II, min PCI-E spec ?

If you don't have 1 empty slot for vid to breath ,it is going to affect temps ,maybe a fan profile can limit it but it going to affect for sure .

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I have 3 pci express but it seems that only the upper capable of x16

9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    right, well vid "needs" to go into 16x top slot but sound card , I think any other PCI-E slot available .

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Ye but i need 2 slots of pci express and thw card blocking one

11. fwb73

fwb73 Member

GPU:
    XFX5850 1GB BE
    the daughterboard doesnt actually require a pcie slot, it only uses the slot for mounting, there are no electrical connections - that is handled by the connecting cable. depending on your case /mb position you could mount the main card in the bottom pcie slot and the daughterboard in a case slot below it but not in a pcie slot on the mother board. I used to do the same with a e-mu card - main card in bottom slot, daughterboard below it