How to improve your Movie experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Prophet, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Do not smash me off the start, tried it and do not need it.

AVISynth logo creater and had a deep passion after Photoshop 3.1, ask neuron over at doom9.

I had 120 frame doulbling a long time ago with my still current samsung LN-T5271F which it is still crunching milk vis out of foobar (24 fps). I run xlr for my tunes with a DAC out, Asus muse, but movies I bit stream from hdmi and the geforce.

This smoothing is known as the soap opera effect and I do not calibrate to it.

I try to use 24 fps if i can and avisynth has a film grain plugin for the tube guys.

My chain is simple

MPC-HC
    You know what splitter
    Madvr
    Lav video
    AC3 Audio
    Vobsub

Try this boost please Nvidia, and should be skinky ;-) and for my a/v pro it works through HDMI ;-)

Regards

2. BlackPaw

BlackPaw Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 6770
    The images in the guide are too small, why is this?

Can't follow guide if the images are small and no alternative is given.

3. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    There should be a link somewhere in the thread but I updated the original post with a link to all images.

4. BlackPaw

BlackPaw Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 6770
    I wonder why does fraps show 60fps in potplayer even when i have svp turned off

5. pluzo

pluzo Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 3gb
    MadVR tray icon won't show automatically.

What the title says + when i run the exe it pops up but then when i right click and select show tray icon when madvr is running on local pc, it disappears. Any idea why this happens?

6. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    VLC is all I needed, kthxbyethanksfortrying.

7. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Is madvr running at all? Maybe its hidden? Have you configured it correctly?

8. pluzo

pluzo Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 3gb
    MadVR

I installed madVR using the install.bat after changing the other name to InstallFilter [-u] filter.ax as instructed. When I play a movie, under processes in task manager I only see potplayer running, no madVR. On the other hand in the potplayer settings i did select Madshi Video Renderer, so I can't really imagine that some other renderer is doing the work.

9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    You can press tab in potplayer while playing to see whats going on. I cant really recall any instructions on changing any names on installfilter etc. I suggest you use uninstall.bat and then install.bat as in the vanilla madvr. You can also choose to show madvr tray icon. If you press f5 in potplayer go to Video tab, you can see where it says Video renderer. There it should say Madshi Video renderer. To the right of that are three dots. Press them and choose show tray icon.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Is Potplayer still shamelessly infringing on the FFMPEG copyright? I wouldn't want to touch that software with a ten foot pole if the dev is still being a butthole to the guys who made FFMPEG.

11. pluzo

pluzo Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 3gb
    Fps:24 -> 23.4

BY pressing tab it shows me a framerate that is constantly changing and usually below the 23.98 or whatever is considered normal. Is this accurate or just bull****.

12. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    That should be fairly accurate. You can doublecheck with fraps, afterburner or other software.

13. pluzo

pluzo Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 3gb
    What is it

a performance issue (pc is fairly powerful but files are also big, very big), or just a compression setting?

14. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I dont think that frame measurement is very accurate on any software -or- that fps jump around. If you have the machine in your sig it shouldnt be a problem. Only issues I ever had with performance when I turned on image doubling (NNEDI3) in the later versions of madvr.

Ps. You wont be able to use nvidia cuvid for hw rendering and thats going to make a difference performance and quality vise. I read that dvxa2 copy-back is the best quality for amd but Im not sure at all about that.

15. pluzo

pluzo Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7900 3gb
    Broken files

Not too long ago I updated potplayer and its components and now, far to aften a perfectly undamaged video file is played like a damaged sound file. Playback with other programs is flawless.

16. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Only issue I have with recent versions of Potplayer is they dont seem to play rared files any more. Could be a client error though I dont know. You should always make backups before upgrading.

I belive the error might be in the codecs, ie madv, lavfilters ffdshow tho. Try reinstalling / upgrading.

17. shamsherr

shamsherr Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280x 3Gb
    Followed Maken1's guide to the letter

so i followed Maken1's guide to the letter and these are the results im getting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so the video is really really smooth, but image quality suffers, as you can see the sharpness is much better in VLC, also the colours seem to be better in VLC as well... even though im loving the smoothness offered by 60fps

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  18. deids

deids Guest

GPU:
    12 GB
    Hi,

I just followed the excellent guide by Prophet, but somehow i can see that the overall movie is much darker in potplayer than that of VLC. When i run the same movie on both potplayer & vlc, vlc picture quality seems much brighter. why would be that ? Any suggestions ?

19. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Probably with potplayer you get ffdshow to show fullrange colours 0-255 and without vlc I'm guessing you only get 16-235.

20. deids

deids Guest

GPU:
    12 GB
    Ahh. got it. So what can i do to improve the brightness of the movie, any suggestions ?

Thanks very much.