Ryzen and Windows 7 is working or not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by ruthan, Mar 3, 2017.

1. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Could someone test Ryzen with Windows 7, its working?

2. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
  3. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I hardly call no support for a deprecated OS is a big flaw. It's 2017, not 2008. Most people with Windows 7 wanting to run Ryzen, despite being stubborn in upgrading the OS, would have to be using a full retail version of it. This does NOT include retail sold copies of the OEM edition. Anyone running any other edition would have to be running a cracked copy as you wouldn't be able to reactive an existing used OEM licence on the new board.

What good reason is there for running Windows 7 over Windows 10 with Ryzen? It would be like wanting to run Android 2.1 on the upcoming Samsung S8.

5. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    probably the same people who stuck with xp for so long

6. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

By officially not supporting Windows 7 AMD means they won't bother with complains from bussines and end users complains about any kind of problems encountered while runing Windows 7 this is what it means.The question is what functionality runs and does not run from the new features the Zen architecture has.

Any way obviously it is not problem to overclock Ryzen under Windows 7 :)
    https://www.techpowerup.com/img/17-02-27/78cffe0d9639.jpg

7. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    So Windows 8/8.1 is an out dated OS too?

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Zen is workstation OS, i wanted gaming, but especially i business is OS upgrading slower and Windows 7 is fully supported.

I hate these mindless upgrading obsession, upgrade have to be better, or its not upgrade... For me as real gamer are Win 7 > Win 10 - because there are only 3 UWP Windows 10 only games (Gears Ultimate, Gears 4 a Forza H. 3), but there is lots (much more that 3) of old games which are not working in Windows 7 properly.

I really like my multiboot system and clever guy have multiboot system what > than upgrade obsession. I more argument for these nosayers virtualization is not solution, Vmware 3D driver is still DX 10 / Opengl 3.2 only for Windows 7, for XP Vmware abandoned their 3D driver in which was not even DX9 fully compatible and Opengl 1.1 in year 2014 + virtualbox is joke. Only solution is Unraid, but its messy.

So make not officially OS working, when is binary compatible, is still best way.

And yeah i have on my Broadwell system fully working XP - 13 year old installation which survived 10 Mainboards (if know now P2P migration SW, clean installation is just myth) and im proud of that. Really gamer what to have all platforms available.

I even have Win98 machine with Sata drivers and SSD:) And i would even pay 50 bucks just for proper drivers.

Im really sick of these young guys which now only games from last year or two and dont understand that one of best things what is pc about is backwards compatibility..

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Windows 7 64bit pro which i upgraded to windows 10 64bit pro doesn't matter with older games neither operating system had proper support for older games like fear(which i can finally play on windows 10 too but not fear xp). So yeah some games will work on both systems. I am guessing microsoft will work on more compatibility to older games if gamers start hounding them about it. But most of these games i play are 5-10 years old which is ancient in current times. I will say this it takes them longer to support older games and more money then to not support them and work on more current games that are played more. I have found that steam games work fine on all operating systems i have tried so its up to the devs of that game to make it work on whatever operating system and whether its 32bit or 64bit. I am just glad 64bit it being supported way more then xp64bit was back in the day. But back on track yes ryzen will work on windows 7/8/10 probably work on xp just wont have all the new added features enabled. More importantly is the motherboard drivers made to support windows 7/8 or xp. Thats the hurtle your gonna have to figure out.

10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Yes, over at overclockers someone did, but need to install 3.1 usb drivers. ASUS CH6 has them included for Win7. But can't find the page now been reading so much stuff past few days. Anyhow he did and compared to his intel and pretty much got same numbers as his intel. I'll post the link if I can find it. I wanted to use Win7 too myself. I'm just tired of re-learning chit and I don't like the Win10 update's deal. I know it's adjustable somehow but not in the mood for schooling right now so till I feel up to dealing with it I may stick to Win7 for now, notice I said may who knows I might build the pc and say WTH and go Win10 anyway. But Win7 is do'able with Ryzen. Edit: Ya can't find it but look in http://www.overclock.net/ ... it's either in the Chip or motherboard for Ryzen thread, sorry couldn't find for ya.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
  12. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yeah.

Ryzen is faster on Win 7 because Win 7 doesn't try to "intelligently manage" CPU cores so much. That way you get the bulk performance without the scheduler equalizing the workloads or reducing load because of resource binding.

I mean I am finding it funny for almost 2 years now how people still prefer 10 over 7.
    Not only because of this reason, which will of course be fixed through a patch, and will not be a issue by then anymore...

13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Here's the link for AMD Socket AM4/AMD Ryzen™ Processor Software Drivers / Supports Windows 10/7 (64-bit) The ASUS CH6 Hero Motherboard includes the USB 3.1 drivers for Win7 but not sure about other boards I haven't heard anything. I just seen people starting to ask about Win7 so I thought I would add this info. https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...et-driver.aspx

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Those two thread links claiming it is faster on Windows 7 points back to the same thread post that some unknown, probably biased, person posted. It also isn't a gaming test like Battlefield One, it's some 'meshinstancing' benchmark using an unknown API (DirectX 9/11/OpenGL? There's also only one screenshot, so you're only going by the persons word. Even if it is faster, it could be something with the benchmark program causing it. That person may have had to go through a pile of games and benchmark apps to find one that supports their claim. There are also ways to skew benchmarks in favour of a point of view, this is why a reputable source is important.

They're just justifying their stance against progress. Windows 7 was hardly perfect.

Also keep in mind that nobody seems to have compared SMT on Insider Preview 15048, Creators Update has changes that could resolve those issues. If not yet, it will likely be added before release. As I said before, it's due next month so tests on the Insider Preview would actually be more relevant. Even more so, there is a bug in Windows 10 currently that doesn't allocate the thread resources properly in regards to Zen. This doesn't mean Windows 7 is better because of this, bugs can be fixed, and there are probably a great number of other bugs on Windows 7 more problematic that only getting 122 fps in a game versus 129 fps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2017
  15. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

The dude claims on page 8 that in Total War : Warhamer Windows 7 has 7.7% more average FPS and the lowest FPS are 23.1% higher than win 10.Also i carefully read the entire thread there are 2 more dudes that claim the windows 7 performs like charm and faster than windows 10.

16. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  17. DARKSF

DARKSF Active Member

Seriously ? :D Is there any real IT dude here or it is just me.What anandtech described is lame ass and it is not 100% guaranteed to work if install the OS on one machine it might not boot at all on the other simple reason SATA AHCI specific driver then you need to run the SATA in IDE mode in order to boot they forgot that detail :)

Any way there always has been a way to add drivers to your windows 7 install i'm doing this for the past 7 years because of the notebooks and the need to have drivers there in most of the cases in order to install painlessly.

You extract first the desired driver from installation package then you extract your Windows 7 install iso somewhere and then you use Microsoft Deployment Image Servicing and Management(DSIM) tool (not available in all windows editions e.g. Home , and it is console app i believe there is a GUI version) to add the drivers to the windows 7 installation.Once you added all critical drivers you might need you use a program of your taste to build a bootable iso or bootable flash drive and enjoy your new install.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825070.aspx

Anyway still waiting to see Windows 7 benches from a reputable tech source.

18. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Your right it's called slipstreaming, but I haven't seen any real reputable benches from real tech sites or whatever, mostly because there not going to bother testing an old OS. I'm going to wait for the hype and bs to settle before getting 1 anyways.

19. Osjur

Osjur Member

GPU:
    Radeon Fury X
    So The Stilt is just a random dude... now I've seen everything.
    Happens to be the guy who outdid the whole industry (AMD and mobo makers) when he released Bulldozer conditioner program to fix x87 performance pitfall on those CPU's.