Interested in OC'ing my motherboard

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by mjd88, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)

Mmmmm..... ehhhrrr...sort of. The problem with Auto settings normally for Voltage is it will set it far higher than needed. For instance if I have my CPU at default speed and let the motherboard choose Auto it will actually put it at a higher voltage than I'm using for my current overclock.

As far as I'm aware (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you can't really damage your CPU from too little voltage compared to putting too much voltage on it. That would then be doing some serious damage to the CPU.

What I tend to do is have a look at the voltages others have used for similar overclocks and take a good sample as some CPU's OC better than others or take less voltage. Once you get a rough idea of the cpu voltage set it a bit lower and try to get it into windows and through a good stress test such as Prime95 or Intel Burn Test checking for temps (use Realtemp or Coretemp). If it passes great, try lowering the voltage and doing the same until you find it is no longer stable then go back to the last voltage it was stable at and that will be your optimum setting. Likewise if its not stable increase the voltage but be very careful of the temperatures you get and also of doing damage to the components from too much voltage.

If you play it safe and sensible and you should be fine. If you go jumping in with high voltages and a stock cooler be aware you can really mess up your computer.

One thing to remember with overclocking is that your results may differ from others. Its always a good indication but not always possible. My i7 can stay at 3.84ghz all day 100% but if it goes higher its just not stable regardless of the voltages I try. Plus when I get too much voltage the temperatures rocket. Other owners of the same CPU can run it faster and on less voltage than mine but that's just how it is.

Oh if you really want to overclock I cannot stress enough the importance of an aftermarket cooler.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Nope, have a Q9550 running 3.83GHz in my home media PC/Server, 24/7.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, you've got it right. I can't imagine "low" voltages causing damage. The only thing that would happen is that it won't post. That could be fixed with a clear CMOS/mobo battery pull.

As for stress testing, all he really needs to use is prime95. IBT is a bit excessive and without a good cooler, I don't think he wants to do that. If the OP wants to get a better cooler, more power to him. You'll probably have to scour a bit if you want to find one since LGA 775 is ancient in terms of technology.

On quick pass, these look like they'd be good budget coolers that would be better than stock.
    this
    this
    this or
    this

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  4. mjd88

mjd88 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 650 1GB
    Overclock success! I'm able to get 3.0 ghz now. It started getting a little flaky going higher so I'm keeping it there because I don't want to push my system too much. I've been stable for awhile. I did a search too and found more tips on how to get there as well, as well as advice from a friend. Thanks everybody, you've been helpful, and I will consider other options/upgrades in the future based on what you guys have said :)

I have this thread bookmarked for future reference.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well I'm still running a Phenom II in the lounge which gets used every single day.

My mate bought a 'new" computer recently, yesterday I went over to have a look and turns out its an X2 7750 Kuma... I've got a spare I could've given him lol

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I gave my Q6600 to my folks along with my old XFX 680i motherbooard as it was far better than what they were using previously. Sadly it died last year was was replaced with an i3 & SSD which is much better noise and power consumption wise for using google and BBC iplayer.

The CPU might have still been good but it was an original B3 version which were not only red hot but sucked for overclocking compared to the G0. So in the end it all went in the bin.