HTC One X problem

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Silent_Takedown, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Hey all,

not normally in the phone section but having an issue with my HTC One X. I believe on 24/12/12 I got the latest OTA update so I'm now

Android Version: 4.1.1 and Software Version: 3.14.206.27 but since then the USB connection has been mucked up. When I connect via USB it always connects in the debugging mode and I can no longer pick whether it's charge only or mass media and so on. If I try and change the usb connection type it takes me to the portable hotspot and tethering options. If I try to turn off debugging, followed by the dev options it will turn off but will want to turn the usb debugging and if I cancel this, the phone won't be recognised when I connect it. Anyone else having this problem? It's damned annoying.

Edit: I was having a look about the interwebs while writing this and came up with nothing but I've just found that apparently they changed to MTP? in the last update. Why would they do this? I liked the old way and not that it changes much but it was nice just pulling down the tab and changing to mass media. I don't want to have to have dev options turned on.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    MTP has always been the Android default since Android 4.0, that's what Google's been pushing towards because it removes all the headaches over partitions, file system drivers and requiring users to properly dismount their devices without the file system corrupting. MTP is supported out of the box on Windows, and requires a client on MacOS X. On Linux, you just need to mount it manually using the mtpfs FUSE driver. MTP is unfortunately only good choice going forward as it's royalty-free, out of the box in Windows and is the only protocol that can hide the actually filesystem underneath. I think a lot more people would be complaining if Google forced everyone to install the ext4 file system driver on to their Windows PC and learn to navigate an ext4 volume just to transfer their files.

You shouldn't need to turn on developer options to mount your phone to your PC, this sounds like a driver issue on your computer. I had this issue when I was playing with ADB and accidentally loaded the wrong driver by overwriting the MTP device driver with the ADB generic driver. I just uninstalled it and reloaded the MTP driver (oops on my end).

deltatux

3. prasanna

prasanna Guest

GPU:
    intel
    Htc sync

To enable reading pen drive or connection keyboard/mouse, MTP has been used instead of Mass storage. Because of this only, you are unable to view your contents on the PC.

Installing HTC sync on your pc will solve this problem. I also had the same problem and i got this info from HTC support page.

4. Silent_Takedown

Silent_Takedown Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 WF3
    Thanks for the replies and information guys. That explains things a great deal. I was unaware it had been changed since 4.0, not sure what on earth I have been doing, perhaps I never noticed or I maybe never connected my One X to my pc? I honestly don't know lol.

Thing is though, this was at work and on more than one machine. I also don't think I should have to turn on the delevoper options in order to mount the device but if I have the option turned off, the phone will show up blank when you open it in explorer. If I've got the dev option turned on, no probs, I can then see everything.

I liked the mass storage more. My Desire HD still does it (guess because it's pre Android 4.0), plug it in, switch to mass storage, drag and drop. I'll have a play about with the drivers and things. I'd rather not install HTC Sync and if all else fails, I guess I'll just leave developer options on.

Thanks again guys.