r9 280x crossfire issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DiceAir, Dec 7, 2014.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Hi there.

I'm having this issue with crossfire in bf4 and bf3. I can't check other games cause I don't know how to check frametime. The gpu graph is like a thick green line and I do get 60fps but it doesn't feel like 60fps. It feels like uneven fps on the screen. Hard to explain. I'm runing a qnix qx2710 that's overclocked to 96hz

This is what i tried:

1. Install all drivers since 13.9
    2. using 1 and 2 crossfire bridges
    3. removing 1 card from system (this is the only thing that works)
    4. Disabling frame pacing from CCC
    5. unparking cores
    6. setting graphics to low
    7. Removing overclocking on monitor
    8. Check temps around 71C-80C hottest card
    9. Vrm temps around 65C
    10. underclockcards and still same issue
    11. Disable Vsync but then I get screen tear
    12. ULPS off
    13. Run BF4 in fullscreen
    14.make sure crossfire is enabled

So as you can see point number 3 is not giving me issues and by running a normal 1080p 60hz monitor I don't have this issue. So does any one know what could be causing it? here is the picture of my issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Looks similar performance to when I ran just the BF4 game's vsync in options.

Type this command in: GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94

If it improves (which I am guessing it will), put that line in your cfg file so it is run all the time.

Also, you running a 64 bit OS? If so, I would certainly run the BF4 in mantle now that Dice fixed the crossfire mem leak.

3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Dice didn't fix the memory leak. I'm still getting it and then stutter. So mantle is a no go.

setting my fps to 59.94 still having issues so it's a no go

4. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    I used to run crossfire 280x like yourself and seem to remember something similar. If you're running win 7 64bit make sure core parking is off (which you mentioned so that's good).

The two settings that fixed it up for me is the gametime max variable fps (mine was set to 59 with vsync on) and also the render ahead limit - I had the best results when I set this to 2 whilst running mantle. Strangely I never experienced the memory leak that everyone talks about but I didn't monitor memory usage very often.

5. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Dice definitely fixed the system memory leak associated with AMD crossfire. Used to take 3-4 map changes to fill my system ram of 16 Gb. Now it stays relevantly constant (6.8-7 Gb) even after 5 map changes.

Have you ever deleted the MantlePipelinecache files? Found in your Documents/ Battlefield 4/ cache folder.

Strongly recommend deleting the 2 MantlePipelinecache files between GPU change or driver changes. These 2 files are created at very first start up using the current Mantle version. After changing Mantle drivers, the new Mantle is loaded using these cached files created under the older Mantle version. This can cause incompatibilities/inconsistencies. After deleting, they will be recreated upon next game start using the newer installed Mantle.

P.S. Just to confirm, I played 5 map changes- older maps. No more system ram leak running Mantle in crossfire for me. New maps - the same result.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I alreay deleted. although in afterburner my GPU vram usage doesn't exceed the 3GB per card it still acording to game will use 5000-6000GB/3072mb and then my gpu usage is like 50% for one card and 99% for the other card. So i don't understand. I used DDU and installed the latest graphics drivers.

I know the system ram usage has been fixed but vram usage still there using mantle. BTW my test above was when using DX11.1

7. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    There was a vram leak too. I think that is fixed. My vram don't creep up like it used to.
    So, put this in your cfg file: Render.DrawScreenInfo 1

This puts system info across top when in game. If in mantle, it will also show Vram usage. Check your vram using that. Guessing that GPUZ is showing vram of the 2 cards combined.

8. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I know that. in game it will show something like 5000-6000/3072 and in gpu'z shows 5.5GB but then I get one gpu at 50% usage and the other one at 99% usage. Doesn't matter if low or high. On low it's like 20% usage and 60% usage or something like that.

So I don't know what it could be. I know they might use combine GPU usage but I think the game still thinks it's 3072 and not 6144mb usage. Then when I change maps it's not releasing the memory and it will just continue to fill. Let's say use 2GB on one map then next map another 2gb will be added so it uses 4GB while it should also be 2GB. Even on a simple test range it's putting more strain on GPU's while using same settings. While I don't mind that I mind the uneven usage on Crossfire. I think maybe it's the way the Qnix sends out the signal

9. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Not sure what is wrong then. But I can assure you that in BF4 Mantle and DX is working fine for me. Below are 2 pictures I took at similar spot as yours . Vsync is via GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94. All Ultra cept no msaa. Screen is a 2560x1080. BF3 DX is also fine.
    Mantle
    [​IMG]
    DX
    [​IMG]

Strange cause my cards are the 7970 - which of course are similar to the 280x.

10. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    ok so I did a test using mantle now and it seems better so far only tested a few maps. What I did was running the game on high with the last 3 options off. limit the fps to 95 and it feels smoother than dx with little to no vram leak. I also disabled crossfire in ccc byt adding the profile and disable crossfire that way and also disabled frame pacing. then in my user.cfg i added the command renderdevice.multigpuenable 0. will test further tonight maybe with new omega drivers if it supports my cards.

can you retest without limiting FPS in game and setting vsync on please while using directx

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

11. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Played around a bit and finally got something like yours.

Is a pic of DX, no GameTimeMaxVariable frame limiter, vsync on in game, panning a solid fence (can get that with any panning of solid like wall, vehicle etc). WITH power save in Power Options.
    [​IMG]
    Turning power options to 'Performance' (which is what I always have set at) helps heaps but still not ideal. Definitely for me, don't use in game vsync. With GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94 DX is like in my other post above - real smooth. And check your power options in windows. 'Performance' is best setting when gaming.

So then I reread your first post closely and saw you are overclocking that monitor! (My bad - missed that. Makes that 59.94 a waste of time if you are running 96Hz.) Which model is it? Is it an Evolution II? Does it have only DL-DVI or is it multi input?

Have you tried the game without the monitor overclock? Try stock 60Hz and run the GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59.94 and see what happens.

12. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Thanks for the info. I see you also having a very big green line. I'm running Evolution II. I tried mantle now and seems a bit better. Running everything on high and the last 3 setings to off makes my game so smooth. Even on intense areas on certain maps where the FPS used to drop it runs just fine at 93-96FPS and I don't get this shaky movement. I also run performance mode when gaming.

I know it sound weird and why would I run 60hz when I can do 96Hz well maybe if I solve the 60hz issue with dx11.1 I might solve other issues I might not know about cause I've had them all the time. Even every oerclocking patch and settings removed setting my monitor as if I just got it and connected it and I get the issue with the thick green line and weird shaky movement.

I must say when mantle works it's a dream come true. It's like the best thing in a long time for gamers. I just wish Nvidia, intel etc etc will adopt this as it would make everything so cool. I see people say yeah don't need mantle on single gpu and r9 280x or even r9 290x but I can tell you running single card same settings with DX11.1 I ge massive frame drops but with mantle I still get frame drops now and then due to card not strong enough but some areas my fps is much higher.

I want to change back to Nvidia but what makes me not doing it is the fact that Nvidia always comes with their propriety stuff. Their attitude suck cause AMD is not doing Mantle for themselves but for the whole gaming industry. Why can't they just say hey let's try and see what do we have to loose. Even if their cards can beat AMD when AMD is using mantle and Nvidia DX11.1 I still think that mantle would help them a lot.

Anyway enough ranting and back on topic. Hope this helps. I would love to have my issue solved or at least know if I should change/upgrade something.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  13. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    DiceAir, I had to do stupid settings to get that wide green line. That is not how it is when I play normally. It was just that I was trying to see what it could be causing yours to be like that. 'Power saving' in windows power options was selected to get that wide green line. So question I was going to ask is, what power option do you have set under windows? If it is not set to 'performance' then that could be a cause of your bad performance. But I see you answered that. So back to the other question.

Again, does your monitor have DL DVI only, or does it have multi input?

If it is multi input, it does not do true full frame over clocking. With this model (the multi input one), if say you clock it to 90Hz, it will do 2 frames, skip frame, 2frames, skip frame etc. So it shows 90Hz but is not true 90 output. This could be the problem if you have that particular model. So if it is this model, set to default Hz and see what happens!

Even if you have the good model (DV DVI only in back) try running the monitor at default Hz and see.

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF

only comes with DVI, it's the evolution 2 and no skipping frames cause already tested with the frame skip test online. on default hz it's the same issue. maybe it's this monitor and how it sends out signal and how the edid works. It's been working fine for months. Maybe this monitor and crossfire doesn't work properly.

BTW I just played some games using 14.12 driver and I get freezes. like in Advanced warfare had a freeze couldn't do anything but could still speak on teamspeak etc etc. I'm using lowest graphics settings on AW and GPU's never goes above 40% so that couldn't be the issue.

My power settings is on performance mode so that's not the issue. on desktop so far not getting any freeze.

My freezing started today as far as I know. Then I rebooted and played Far cry 4 for a bit and that works out fine. haven't played for to long but played like 30min with no issue. Also tried AW then and played for the whole night no issue. then went into bf4 and played like 1 round no issue. went into test range and played for a bit then freeze had to reboot but teamspeak was working just fine. So I don't know.

Sorry could be clearer but just ask if I need to provide more info. it's starting to sound more like a monitor issue with how the gpu's and monitor and even driver communicates. You know not all qnix panels are the same.