Curious about Riva server services

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Hyphen, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6850
    Hey guys. I'm running MSI and RivaTuner's Statistics Server to overlay my FPS and other stats in a few games. I've noticed that EncoderServer.exe is a necessary process, among a few others. I've also notices some services.

My question is, what are all processes/services dedicated to ensuring that the overlay functions properly? I ask because I use IOBit Game Booster when I play a few games, just to instantly shut down a lot of clunky processes. I've looked over the list of processes and services I have set to terminate, but none of them strike me as responsible for interaction with Riva statistics. However, when I use Game Booster, the overlay is not working in any of my games.

2. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    I have just tried it with Razer Game Booster and it worked.

I checked everything apart from:

MSi Afterburner
    MSIAfterburner.exe
    RTSS.exe
    EncoderServer.exe
    RTSSHooksLoader64.exe

Windows
    Explorer.exe

Razer
    Launch Game on Game Desktop

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If you just use OSD functions and not video recording , the dedicated encoder service can be disabled (uncheck it in video capture tab and in settings of RTSS ).
    you need RTSShookloader64.exe for 64bit app to run OSD .

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  4. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Does the dedicated encoder service do anything if you only use the NVENC plugin for recording?

5. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yes, it don't encode the video inside the game process, but it encode with it own process, if I am right.
    This reduce the chance for crashing the 32-bit game process that having memory leak.

Of cause for NVENC, it just used for processing something like writing into container, encode the sound, save to hard disk etc.

6. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Hmmm I can still record w/NVENC even without dedicated encoder service checked in AB and RTSS.

Can enabling it improve performance while recording? I get massive FPS drop when recording in SLI but almost none when recording in single GPU.