Lumia 820 loses power in a very short time

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by graino, Oct 24, 2014.

1. graino

graino Guest

GPU:
    none
    I have the Lumia 820 and am so far still very satisfied but my battery no longer works properly and so loses power in a very short time (wifi and gps are out when I'm out). Took the battery out and back in, tried another charger but it does nothing. Whether it is up to the battery / charger? I googled Lumia 820 battery and found a 2500 mah replacement, is it worth it? Please suggest me and thanks in advance for Help!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Be careful of some replacement batteries. Some are good, some are bad. There are fakes that make claim say, 2500 maH, but are really less that that. Even though they may be less, some may just perform just as well as the original if not better. The key thing is don't pay too much for a new battery.

Here's a trick for you old battery, no joke it works! Flatten the battery right out in the phone, but before it goes completely flat put it in flight mode. Then, just play a game or something for it to go flat :). The reason why you need flight mode on is that the phone is automatically on whenever it is on charge. When you do the last part of this process, you want the battery to be on the maximum charge with the least amount of draw from the phone. After you have done this, and flattened the battery, put the battery in the coldest part of your freezer (ideally right in front of the air outlet). Take the battery out after 24 hours and immediately put straight into your phone and put it on charge. Be careful doing this in a really warm, humid climate as condensation could be an issue, but if the humidity is rather low then it's fine. If you have a reverse cycle air conditioner put it on cold and run it for a couple of hours flat out before you take the battery out of the freezer. This is because reverse cycle air conditioners dry the air. DO NOT do this if it is an evaporative!

This trick works with other rechargeable batteries too, like laptop batteries (due to their size do it for 48 hours), and shavers etc. For shavers, you may need to put the whole shaver in the freezer, this is fine! Just remember if it is a washable shaver not to put it into the freezer if you have just washed it.

If you are at a workplace, don't use a commercial freezer as they get too cold. A home freezer is around -18 C (-0.4 F) to -22 C (-7.6 F), which is perfect for this.

If the battery is properly defective this won't work, but if it is just because of general use and charges, which it sounds like it is in your case, it will work :).

Also try using this app:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-au/store/app/battery-doctor/6c75aa0e-2c4d-4d80-b51d-1ea5da94bbcb

Ideally turn off notifications for it (such as fully charged notifications), since they can be annoying! It does seem to help with battery life, but it will only be of benefit after you have done the freezer trick. I haven't tried using the app to charge the phone for the freezer trick, you're welcome to try it though (meaning download it beforehand).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  3. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Ok i've had this issue before with my 920 I thought was dead. Also works on my 1020 after big software updates from the Developers preview.

Factory reset then follow the bellow.

1. Drain the battery.
    2. Wait 15-30min.
    3. Power on the phone if it comes on leave the battery to drain and once it goes off wait 30min and keep doing this till it wont power up.
    4. Remove Sim card.
    5. Leave the phone to discharge on its own with out the sim in it.

Over the next few days leave the phone once its charged to drain on its own, also make sure the battery fully drains over the next few days. When it pops up its fully charged ignore the message and leave it for at lest another hour or more should be recalibrate your battery.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, doing the full charge/discharge cycles does help :). It's even better after the freezer trick though. The charge/discharge thing may not work, or may only have partial success, I've yet to see where the freezer trick doesn't work, especially when combined with charging and discharging the phone properly afterwards. Actually I have seen it not work once, but that's because the person was using a $4 Ebay battery in their laptop. No doubt the battery was buggered to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014