It is official AMD skips 20nm and jumps to 14nm

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2015.

1. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    The only reason apu's fail in laptops is because no one gives them a chance. I would take a cheaper a10 with dual graphics over an i7 based laptop. I7 will win in cpu but no way in hell will it keep up graphicaly which i find most laptops lacking.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Totally agree. I don't know anyone who's bought a desktop for many years (more than 5yrs). For me, laptops and tablets are the way forward.

2yrs ago with the release of GTX680m 4GB (which is in my current system) the performance had climbed enough (gfx-wise) to make laptops a viable desktop replacement.

I paid £1300 for my laptop 2nd hand (was only 4months old), never looked back tbh. What's more, in regards to upgradability my laptop has mxm3.0B so I can upgrade to GTX980m 8GB for £600 from eurocom.

It's about 30% more money for 20% less performance than desktop 4GB card...Nvidia have already said that the performance gap between desktop and laptops drops with each generation.

Within 2yrs I think laptop gpu will be very compelling for even more people.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    That's because you require graphics performance. I, for example, require processing power and good SSD performance.

And besides, there are always dedicated graphics.
    What kills me nowadays is that we barely have awesome CPUs and build quality laptops with integrated graphics. I had to buy a laptop with a 860M while pursuing build quality and a fast CPU. It's a bit sad really that we still cannot make our own laptops. I'm not saying the 860M is useless hell no, it's actually quite good. But why not give us the choice?

But back to your point, APUs generally have quite weak CPUs and high power consumption relative to their Intel counterparts. And if you're buying integrated graphics, you're not a heavy gamer. I, as a gamer and programmer that also hobbies in 3D rendering, cannot imagine ever buying an APU.
    I suspect that a faster CPU feeds an SSD better as well especially if you're a heavy multitasker.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Percentages, they tell noting, it does not tell if desktop is actually shrinking or other areas are growing.

Total Numbers are what matter. But it is very probable that desktops sales are down due to no real evolution outside GPUs in last 4 years.
    And this is likely statistics counting only All-In-One systems. if they count number of sold CPUs + MBs then they could get different result.

This can as well mean that OEM desktop PCs are in decline because more people build customs.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Generally APU performance even in the A10 range are not all that great in mobile variants. Still better than Intel's offerings except for Iris Pro and some of the 6 series.

6. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I remember when I bought the Radeon 9550. It was built using the 13 micrometer node, and it was a feature!

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    No, it was built using the 130nm node. 13um = 13000 nm.
    I believe you meant 0.13um node.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    10 micrometer node was in the 1971. 130nm is quite a bit smaller.