Curved mobo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Pyrage, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Hey guys, I have this old motherboard here taking up space and I wanna attempt to fix it before just throwing it out.

Basically the mobo is curved, and mounting it doesn't seem to be enough. The mobo lights up but won't boot.

I think that this problem damaged the cpu socket, because if I mount it in a case, and push the cpu cooler downwards, the mobo works just fine and even boots, but as soon as I let my hand go, it freezes and won't boot again.

Nothing on the board looks broken other than the fact that it's curved though.

Is there a way to maybe straighten the motherboard out and make the cpu socket work properly?

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Do you need to apply lots of pressure or will a cpu cooler weight be enough to keep it straight?

If the cpu cooler is enough you can lean the case sideways , if not, you could let the mobo stay with some weight on it for a few days, maybe it will straighten out, sandwich it between two foams and put some books over it or something,put the harder foam at the bottom.

A pic or two would be nice to see the extent of the curvature.

3. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I had an AMD board if you locked the stock heatsink down it wouldn't boot but if you left it unlatched (but hooked) it would run fine.Ran it like that for a few years lol.Trying to straighten it like Wormwood suggested can't hurt make sure the room you're using is warm.