G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by John, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah I noticed having some flickering water and other issues with RWT 2.0, I've been thinking about dumping it as it is very distracting.

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

alright short of going into a extended explanation I'll just quickly do a rundown of how mods work and then try to explain how to get that mod working.

Mods come as 3 basic types of files to be placed inside the skyrim/data folder.

*.esp
    *.bsa

and loose files

Loose files are based on a certain preset file structure which can be found by opening any of the original skyrim *.bsa archives. i.e any files you find within the *.bsa archive (once extracted) can also be placed within the skyrim/data folder as a loose file as long as it follows the same structure, for e.g textures.bsa can be extracted and the files placed into a folder called 'textures' with the same internal file structure as textures.bsa. This is the most common and prefered method as loose files also get precendence over a file with the same name/location within the corresponding *.bsa archive. This is also the basis for modding/replacing original game files and what mod managers like nexus/wrye bash are designed to take care of.

Then you have *.esp files which are themselves scripts or contain scripts with accompanying loose files/*.bsa archives, in most cases the *.esp files provide a new script for the game and completely new files to go with it and this content will be completely different from existing content. These are known as standalone or non-replacer mods as they do not effect either original files or mods that replace original files.

*.Bsa files are simple archives and serve no other purpose but to keep things tidy.

Now getting to your butterflies mod, from the imges I can see that the 'alternate butterflies' folder does not belong in the data folder in it's current state, also the fomod folder itself has no relevance as far as skyrim is concerned and will not be recognied by the game, but is simply there to help nexus mod manager identify the files to be placed in the correct pre-defined folders, the fomod folder is basicaly used for holding scripts for the user to choose what particular files should be replaced for e.g what colour butterflies can be used.

Assuming the 'alternate butterflies' folder contains the files expected, you should be able to find within it the required files according to the formats described above. As it is an 'alternate' butterflies mod then it must contain a *.esp file for the new scripts required for the alternate butterflies, it may also contain additional loose files or a *.bsa archive of those same loose files.

The files within the 'alternate butterflies' folder needs to be sorted in this order:

*.esp - This needs to be placed directly into skyrim/Data
    *.Bsa - Same as above (if present)

Loose files, again if present, will most likely already be in a folder named 'data' and this can be placed directly into the skyrim folder or there might be folders named 'textures' or 'meshes' and these can be placed directly into skyrim/data.

Once you have the *.esp in place the game will register the alternate butterflies and then you just need to make sure the new textures and meshes for these butterflies (if needed) are also in place.

Personaly I use the new version of 101BugsHD as it now also comes with new butterflies and different colours etc. and follows the mod structure described above.

[​IMG]

83Willows 101BugsHD Butterfly Dragonfly Luna-Moth Torchbug by 83Willow

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4955

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Been using that Mod since day one. It's the small things that do it :)

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    same here, tried the lions mod aswell, but 6 at once is too much for me lol

5. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz

wow this is a lot of info :D, thanks!

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I installed the new Water Texture from OpticShooter after all. Seems stable and so far not a game breaker.

The underwater Blur is really cool.

Think it will be a keeper depending on the "optional" stuff he puts in.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Yeah I actually like opticshooter's version of water textures, takes up a lot less space and looks better, though after installing it the first time I had a giant mudcrab called 'sir crabalot' suddenly appear and follow me around :)

you're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
  8. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The new grass shadow doesnt seem to work for me.

Do u need to enable it in the cfg?

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes, i had to put it under [Display] in skyirim ini. "bShadowsOnGrass=1"

10. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    How is the deadly dragons mod?

11. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
  12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    NICE!!

I did "saveini" in the console to get settings ported to the ini file. And now my Skyrim Logo is Red.

How the **** do i fix this?

I already delete the INI files and created new ones, but doesn't help.

13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    if you got a red logo there is still a ini there. look in the data folder. probably has the name of one of the mods

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ye just found it.

Cheers.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    @Agent-A01

It still doesnt work :( You do mean the ini file in My Games folder?

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    whichever ini thats in your documents folder.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    You need to fix that bug with the ini file where a certain value causes odd tinting to the main menu logo screen even though said value is fully correct. :)

Under [Interface]

rUIMistMenu_AmbientZPosRGB=
    rUIMistMenu_AmbientZNegRGB=
    rUIMistMenu_AmbientYPosRGB=
    rUIMistMenu_AmbientYNegRGB=
    rUIMistMenu_AmbientXPosRGB=
    rUIMistMenu_AmbientXNegRGB=

Instead of 0,0,0
    (Ie remove anything after the " = " mark.)

Also sometimes SaveINI creates a entirely new ini file in the Data folder with the name of your last loaded modification, still haven't figured out what exactly causes this but it's very minor.
    (Just copy the existing ini there and rename it to what that other saved ini was created as and then re-do the saveini command and it'll update the file properly, just copy it back as Skyrim.ini afterwards.)

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Didn't have those lines.

There was a INI file with the same name as Mod in my Data Folder.

19. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Must be some bug which caused that file to load instead then if the command still caused the tint problem to occur, those above lines are always added to Skyrim.ini (Or "Modname".ini if it saves to the data folder.) it usually causes that red/purple tinting on the main menu logo and possibly the loading screen art. :)
    (I didn't have this issue until the second patch I believe, even without mods active it will still save as Skyrim.ini under \Data as to match the name of the loaded plugin there which is Skyrim.esm , it's a strange issue.)

20. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi all it seems skyrim has auto installed this 1.5 patch for me and i crash alot now to desktop and before it dint ever also i cant seem to get the bow kill move to show?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.