Got my new MSI GTX970 today what do I need to know...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CPC_RedDawn, Dec 17, 2014.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Been away from Nvidia since the GTX480.

Just got the new card and its a beauty.

Installed 344.75 and then 347.09 just got released lol will install those in a minute.

Firstly, I did use DDU in safe mode to uninstall AMD drivers/software and shutdown. Installed new GPU and installed drivers no issues.

Only installed Display Driver, HDMI Audio, and PhysX (not the 3d or experience ****).

Just noticed though that my new card likes to boost from 2d clocks (135/324) to around stock clocks (1114/3506) INSTANTLY when I open Google Chrome...?

I have gpu acceleration turned off in advanced settings and I have checked in the chrome:flags page to see if GPU compositing is still an option but I can't find it anywhere...

Is there anyway to disable the GPU from doing this or is this just how Nvidia works things with Chrome?

Also

Can I disable the Nvidia background processes and if so which ones?

With AMD I disabled CCC.exe and MOM.exe and also External Events service. Which ones are safe to disable for Nvidia cards?

Thanks!

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Never mind about the Google Chrome issue, this was because I had "Prefer Maximum Performance" enabled in Nvidia control panel global settings.

Turning this to Adaptive and the clocks stay roughly the same 2d clock speeds 135/324

All I need to know now is what Nvidia processes are best to disable in task manager from running in the background or is there no need to?

3. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    it's pretty much plain sailing, don't worry about breaking anything testing various presets out.
    also don't worry about instaling new drivers, just install over previous. (clean install)
    it's easy city basically.
    dsr i use to watch vids and for older /low fidelity games. (trials fusion for ex. in 4k looks not too shabby).

4. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Do post your maximum overclock. :D

Also high resolution pictures of the card installed with the LED lit if I may ask.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you ever happen to get a 144Hz monitor, you'll notice that 3D clocks will always be enabled in desktop. Setting to 120Hz in windows fixed that.

And welcome to the club :) Now let it sweat in ACU or FC4 :D

Also don't forget to post OC and pics here :)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393069

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    GZ on the new card.

7. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    I've got a 144hz monitor set at 144hz and my gfx card idles fine?

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Nice! Enjoy the cards! I have a hard time keeping them warm, I used Heaven overnight and it didnt work out well as a heater :p

As for disabling stuff, its entirely up to you.. I use to just only install the drivers and physx, now I don't mind using experience as I use it sometimes to preset my games and/or set DSR settings for some games.

9. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    OMG another red came to green, never seen any card do that to people. those 970 980 are magic!!!

U might wanna try Maxwell bios editor 2 or how it called, after u fiddle with the clocks. u can remove boost if u find that annoying.

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Congrats on the new cards.. now get benching! (or playing ;)

11. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    same boat here. ive been using AMD for the past 10 years or so until the 970. im green now for what it's worth lol

but i think i got on the wrong time? drivers seem to suck atm with nvidia. there seems to be a lot more complaints than satisfied customers over the nvidia forums regarding the 970/980.

12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Driver far from suck, but quality reduce a tiny bit. last releases while working smoother on nvidia, performance is way lower than should be.

But hey u know, every once in a while nvidia is sleeping and then waking up, no worries :D

13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    You only hear complaints - people who are happy are busy playing games.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep. Flawless experience with my 970 so far.

15. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Ditto :)

16. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    i've been reading up on 970s /980s over the last couple weeks as i was expecting to make a purchase in around three weeks time.
    witcher 3 got delayed so screw it, no point, i'll have a window of opportunity in april so i'll go for something then.
    i'd have gone nice 970 no doubt (prolly the white hof or the top down cooled uber card from inno3d), the 970 asus directcu mini releases tomorrow, looks very promising for sure, i was contemplating one.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Do you use DP 1.4a or DVI?

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    GPU is running nicely. Not seen any need to overclock yet as I will be getting another on the 27th for SLI.

The card is meant to be clocked out the box at:

Core Boost: 1279MHz

When in fact its boosting to:

Core Boost: 1357MHz (as shown in MSI AB RTSS OSD).

Very happy with that. Card is 78% ASCI quality according to lastest version of GPU-Z.

Not seen any need to disable anything in the background, if I disable ANY of the 3 processes running I loose the Nvidia Control Panel link when right clicking on desktop.

With a decent fan profile in RTSS.

50% idle (barely audible)

70% when GPU reaches 60C

and 100% when GPU reaches 80C

With this setup the GPU idles around 27-30C and full load after 3 hours in FC4 it levels out at 62C :D

Very happy with that.

Only little gripe is boy I wish that MSI light on the side of the card was RED!!! :(

High Res Pics as requested :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    ^^ Congrats! Looks like a sweet card :)

Can't you get a small strip of red transparent plastic to stick over the LEDs ?

Something like from a pair of cheap red/cyan 3D glasses ?

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not a bad idea... wouldn't that eventually peal off due to heat though?