Review: PowerColor Devil 13 Dual GPU R9 290X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the beast, the dual Radeon R9 290X based PowerColor Devil 13.  It's hotter than hell, demonic and hinted as a disciple of the Devil himself, yes, as we review the PowerColor Radeon R9 295x...

Review: PowerColor Devil 13 Dual GPU R9 290X

2. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Impressive GPU, and a good price point comparatively, thanks for the review. I'm shocked they didn't avoid air cooling when they're having to include a jack because of the weight.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nice review Hilbert , excellent read. Holly Jesus :eek: 105.3 C. = 221.53 F. in VRM1 and the PCB cannot be good for any video card component and the components inside a case :/ , bring in the Holy water to cool that Demon :devil: , desperately needs water-cooling , seriously ! No wonder is called devil13 :bat: .........

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the review.

This card looks too hot and noisy. If 295 blocks don't fit it, I'd rather stay away from it.

5. cala86

cala86 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580@915
    Good morning.great review as always, this thing is huge! In your opinion, will this card works on a pcie-2 pc, without losing a noticeable amount of performance? thanks in advance!

6. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    Whooa :D What a Devil :john:

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Damn, this thing is a beast. Nice review HH.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    That's one big, hungry card. Water anyone?

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Damn 105C, and that's outside a Case >_<

This clearly needs one of those new Arctic Cooling Heatsinks on the back to keep the PCB out of danger. Even then i doubt it will drop under 95C.

10. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    This card could seriously boil eggs :D This even beats Fermi in the heat department. Think about what would happen if it were full of dust... :O

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Heck not even a custom Fan profile with AB would help this card. This card needs water.

12. Enticles

Enticles Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070ti
    105 on air is just ludicrous. water cooling is no longer an option with a card like this, its a necessity. lets just hope some people make waterblocks for it.

the price point is lower than i was expecting, and they throw in an ouroborus to boot - about the only way i'd purchase one - but can't complain at a $100+ mouse for free!

13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Whatever happened to underclocking dual GPU cards to keep the TDP reasonable, i.e. 5970.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I can cook my breakfast on that! Ironically named too if the "13" seem out of place

15. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Throttling is the new underclocking ;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Nice review, that thing is a beast. Tho I would go for the reference water cooled version if I were rich enough to go for one

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    they'll sell about 5 of these
    $100 and the dinky mouse is a weird proposition next to the reference AIO 295x2

props to PowerColor for striving to be different, even when that makes no sense

18. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Why the hell one needs a mouse bundled with Graphic card????? LCS is a Must for this kind of heat! You can boil some water for tea or coffee from VRMs. They should also sell card with LCS and without any cooler at all, for users to decide what they need. It's 500W of pure heat isn't there a way to use it for good? Of course no one will argue about performance of this card. Can't say that this product is good in the way it is, because of the heat. Some custom cooling solution must be applied, ant then good to go, but the price should be dropped and sold without cooler or cooling has to change.

19. Kaotik

Kaotik Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Actually, they're Sea Islands (Bonaire & Hawaii + bunch of APU GPU's), there's no Volcanic Islands GPUs out yet, but the first ones will be Iceland and Tonga.
    This was revealed by AMD's CodeXL, which clearly lists GPU's based on family, nearly 2 months ago:
    http://www.elisanet.fi/kaotik/img-ftp/amdgpus.png

20. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    Wow another let down. This card is way too expansive. I think I'll stick to the card for regular folks. Stay classy, AMD. Getting a Nvidia next time.