Wiring HTPC to tv help needed

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by sheltbh, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sheltbh

sheltbh Guest

GPU:
    Dual GTX780
    I currently am racking my brain over different ways to do this and want come input on what the best quality/easiest would be. In my computer room I have my gaming rig, currently running 2x gtx780 over dvi-d and my audio out of a soundblaster zx to a local speaker. There is a wireless AC media bridge at this location for networking. In my living room I have everything running through my pioneer vsx-70 and a gigabit network switch.

I basically want to run the av signal from the pc to the receiver. I could run a hdmi cable if I had too but not a good location to hide the wire and will be moving in a few months. Also if I go this route how can I take the audio signal from the soundblaster and the video from the graphics card and putting it into one cable. I still want to retain the setup I have now in case I am booted off the TV from the significant other :bang:

The other thought was to somehow combine and run the signal through the AC wireless.

What do you think? Thanks!!

2. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
  3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Why would you want to run the audio from your soundcard? Your graphics cards output audio over HDMI. You only need an HDMI cable.

4. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Keep it simple; more wires, more problems.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  6. Hisenburg

Hisenburg Guest

GPU:
    HIS 290x
    Thats not true though I've done it with my setup.

7. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
    For a Wireless solution I would say that a Chromecast HDMI-Stick should solve the Problem for you.

8. VolkNasty

VolkNasty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G
    Yes this works for convenience sake. However, Chromecast does not support Dolby Digital or DTS formats quite yet, only AC-3. So if you have any of the HD sound it will be converted down to AC-3 or MP3. Still good, but not lossy by any stretch.

Source : https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

OP, if you want good source and you have the network bandwidth, setup a Plex media server on your PC with the content. Then if you have a HTPC or laptop you can hook that into your receiver and stream that way. Plex allows direct stream which doesn't transcode audio or video... pure lossy audio.

Personally, since the wide adoption of HDMI standard, you really don't need a sound card; especially if the sound is going right into a receiver which is much better than any sound card anway. I say get your money out of your A/V Receiver and let it do what it does best!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    This totally depends on the receiver, and should be a factor when choosing soundcard / receiver combination to begin with. If you're listening to lossless music and don't have an extreme top of the line receiver, chances are you will get better quality running analog from a nice dedicated soundcard.

10. Asuka

Asuka Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R685OC/1G
    Your problem cannot be solved without wires since the bandwidth requirement for video stream is tremendous.