HWMonitor 1.28 and nvidia drivers TDRs

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Sueisfine, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Sueisfine

Sueisfine New Member

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX960 2GB
    Hey everyone.

I recently had a weird issue concerning the latest hwmonitor version (v1.28) and nvidia drivers and decided to share my story hoping it might help someone experiencing the same thing.

So I was running 352.86 and hwmonitor 1.27 on a fresh installation of windows 7 x64. Had this setup for months without any issue.

A bit more than a week ago I got a notification from hwmonitor that a new version was available so I decided to download and install that.

Just a while after installing and running that (I normally keep hwmonitor running in the background while I do my things) I got a TDR when I was just browsing the web. I didn't pay too much attention to it and thought it was some sort of glitch or something.

So the next morning I fired ESO which is the only game I'm playing atm and just after a couple minutes in the game I got another TDR which made the game crash (I wasn't even doing anything, just standing still reading in-game mail).

This time I figured it would be too much coincidence having two of these in a row after several months of no issues.

I closed the game and went to search the web for answers and after a few minutes got another TDR while surfing...

After that it came to me that the only thing I had changed in my PC was installing the new version of hwmonitor (1.28). So I decided to test that out and turned off hwmonitor (furthermore I even noticed in the patch notes for 1.28 that they added some sort of monitoring for nvidia cards: "Added NVIDIA TDP percentage").

It's been more than a week now and after hours of surfing and gaming I didn't have another TDR since. So I think it's safe to say it's hwmonitor 1.28 causing the TDRs (in my setup at least).

So this is just a heads-up for anyone experiecing the same :)

TLDR: hwmonitor 1.28 is causing TDRs in my setup with windows 7 x64 and nvidia drivers 352.86.

2. emusa

emusa Guest

GPU:
    Asus 780 (1140/6600 OC)
    Is this even possible..? If so, I'm gonna check the influence of Open Hardware Monitor on my setuo.

3. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    HWmonitor even gave me BSODs. HWiNFO on the other hand is pretty good.

Also, you should never have more than one application accessing your sensors.

4. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    i'm using HWMonitor Pro v1.23.0 + 352.86 + W10 Pro x64 / W8.1 Pro x64 are working great.