PhysX worth it with my config?

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by heymian, Nov 2, 2013.

1. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm building a new computer and could use some help. My mobo is a ASUS Z87-A, i5-4670K CPU and EVGA GTX 760 ACX video card.

I've been thinking about putting in a MSI GTX 650 Ti PE to supplement my GTX 760 for PhysX titles like Batman: Arkham Origins, Borderlands 2 and even Call of Duty: Ghosts when it comes out (yes this title supports PhysX, just found out). So my first question is, would a 650 Ti be able to keep up with a 760?

Now, I have to put the 650 Ti in the third PCI-E slot because my PCI sound card is partially blocking the second PCI-E slot. According to the ASUS website, the third PCI-e slot operates at PCI-E 2.0 x2 speed (I'm still trying to verify if this is correct, have read conflicting information). My second question is: is PCI-e 2.0 x2 going to be enough bandwidth for PhysX?

My last question is about SLI. Would two GTX 760's from two different manufacturers (with different overclocks) play nice with each other?

I appreciate any help given. Thanks ahead of time.

2. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No.

3. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Thank you for the well thought out and insightful answer. I will be taking it to the bank.

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    PCI-e 2 is fine for Physx and yes,you can use two of the same cards from differemt manufacturers. If one card is clocked higher,in SLI the card will clock to equal whichever one is the lowest. Know what I mean? I hope I explained this properly.

5. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    Is PhysX really worth it at all? Its too closed source for its own good.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I have my old 460 installed for the time being because I wanted to play Metro Last light and Arkham City/Asylum (again :p ). FPS is much more stable with the 460 plugged in, particularly in MLL benchmark. In Batman Arkham City, the boss fight with penguin when he is firing Mr. Freeze's weapon doesn't become a laggy mess. Want to test BL2 someday soon as it was prone to fps drops as well.

Don't have Ghosts (physx update coming soon) or Batman Arkham Origins so I can't comment on those.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    When's the physx update coming?

8. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Try a game with Physx like Borderland 2 for example. You will see a HUGE addition of effects with explosions,fire,smoke etc. etc. It's too bad Nvidia won't allow everyone the ability to use their Physx engine, or software, or whatever the hell it is.

9. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I wish developers would push gpu accelerated bullet physics more http://bulletphysics.org/wordpress/

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Maybe because AMD's architecture is designed with Direct Compute in mind and may.. I SAID MAY!! beat Nvidia's offering and produce better results using OpenCL :/ just a thought.

11. heymian

heymian Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    The question is not so much whether PhysX is "worth it" or not. My main concern: is PCIe 2.0 x2 going to be enough bandwidth for a dedicated PhysX card. I've read somewhere that you need at least x4 for PhysX.

12. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Now I understand your question. The answer is no. It will most likely impede the performance of the master video card,or cards. At least that's how I see it. One way is to try it and see for sure.

13. rogerthat1945

rogerthat1945 Guest

GPU:
    iChill GTX 780 HerculeZ X
    Not sure where you pulled that information. but without getting someone to gamble on a guess, I would suggest a little looking around.

You CAN install the card in the 3rd slot and Nothing will impede anything there because PhysX is a seperate function to the Game GPU process, and can be hived off much like `sound` within a game is hived off to a soundcard.

Two similar but different cards can work in SLi also if differnet manufacturers and differnet clock speeds (but basically same chip).

You should get good results without issue. Assumes you have a mid-range effiicent PSU.