Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    so do you? list ur reasons as to why or why not

also what driver r u guys using currently?

2. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Always had high end CRT's with high HZ so never needed and never seen tearing !

Sony FW900 F.T.W !

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    No, last time i seen tearing is when i was using PCI cards. Now that i have been using PCIE for the past 3 years, no vsync anymore.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes seeing every card I have had buzzes/humms when vsync is off. Long as the games run 60 fps it dont bother me and all the games I play run 60fps

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I need it on, hate tearing with a passion, plus it also stops the card running several thousand FPS during menus/cutscenes, which will heat up the card more than most games do.

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    If you are using a 60 hertz refresh rate on your monitor and if your game renders more FPS than 60 while playing.. Then while moving the camera in the game you can notice that you will notice sections of the screen not matching, thats tearing.

Whether PCI or PCIE, it doesn't matter..as long as your game runs with FPS more than your refresh rate, the tearing always occurs.

[One exception is Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga, on my friends PC eventhou you can CAP the game's FPS...the game still pumps more <fake like> frames and tearing is still visible]

If you want to use Vsync, always use it with Triple Buffering to reduce input lag.

Just google around on how to use it..With Rivatuner's D3D overrider is one way to use it.

7. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    I'm strictly v-sync since video cards became powerful enough to run at 50+ fps most of the time. Quality is of utmost importance to me. Turning v-sync off just so you can score 999 fps while crouching and staring at the ground is nothing to brag about.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, its smoother.
    Take Dirt2, it runs over 60fps but has slight jerks every so often.
    With vsync on, its as smooth as can be.
    On both a 22" LCD and 42" Plasma.

9. CaliMnTSnaKe

CaliMnTSnaKe Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 260 700/1425
    11.2 Drivers, I run vsync off dew to the fact I can't reach constant 60+ fps with my 5670 so it stays off.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Depends on the game. In general I use it on racing games, fighting game and some RPG games. FPS games the input lag annoys me too much, and games where you constantly control the camera using the mouse annoy me. Really depends...

11. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I don't have an NVIDIA card anymore, but I can't stand tears on my LCD screens, so I lock my frames ALWAYS.

Maybe the only exception is Starcraft II.

deltatux

13. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i cant say ive ever used it, its a feature i always turn off, maybe i should give it ago some time to see how it differs from off in games i play

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The extra buffers introduce more lag not less.

15. 101459

101459 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX580
    Always... I have several capable video cards, and one benefit beyond circumventing tearing not discussed here is that if your card is rendering more frames per second then your display's refresh rate, your just burning up GPU power and creating a lot of heat rendering frames you can neither see nor display.

If your card is ricocheting up and down above and below your dislpays refresh rate, forcing vsync can give your GPU and it's memory time to catch up and bring some of those frame rate plunges back up to something closer to the mean for a smoother game experience...

For the same reasons enabling vsync can let you set higher render quality settings for the same average frame rate, as vsync sets an absolute ceiling on the number of frames the card has to render lowering the average rante the GPU has to render and the rate the of video RAM gets stuffed...

The only possible exception of any consequence are games that have net-code bound to frame rate but those are getting to be few and far between (mostly older games circa Half-Live & Quake III Arena) where few systems are hard pressed to mash a rock steady 60 FPS in these making even the limitations of frame rate bound net code locked frame rate locked at 60 a very predictable experience for most gaming...

:)

16. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Hahaha, so you haven't used Triple Buffering still!.

Because, using Triple Buffering <not render Ahead frames> eliminates the input lag generated onscreen using only-Vsync option.

Edit -

I also think Triple Buffering with Crossfire has some issues..

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    A buffer is a frame rendered ahead.
    Triple buffering is rendering 3 frames ahead.
    This introduces 3 frames lag.

18. Pablo

Pablo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 5870 2g VapourX
    Yes vsync on

60fps synced = butter smooth

unsynced fps, jerky and some tearing. unless fps is at a rate higher than 90fps, but this doesent happen much.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  19. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I never use VSYNC.

I don't really notice the tearing so it's never been an issue, even less so when I pretty much kill all the games I play, hardware-wise.

I experience smoother gameplay when not using VSYNC, I don't know if that's the input lag in action or just placebo but there it is.

20. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Yepp I am convinced, that you haven't used Triple Buffering.. or just are ignorant about it .. or your display cards cannot use Triple Buffering <not the stupid render ahead>

Here is the difference I am trying to nail in it, there are many other locations on the web with such observations..but I found a link to spooon feeeeed you.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794/1

or google " Triple Buffering: Why We Love It "

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011