WDDM 2.2 in Creators update and drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The most up to date Windows 10 preview build is 15058, and this is the first build which actually has the 1703 version number, which means this version is the closest thing we have to the actual final release.

Previous Windows 10 previews all used the 16xx version number. Anyway, I've noticed with this version that I'm seeing more hiccups and lag compared to previous builds, and I'm wondering whether that has anything to do with the current drivers not being fully optimized for the Creators release.

Creator's release will have WDDM 2.2, which will likely require newer drivers from both NVidia and AMD. If you may recall, last year when the Anniversary build launched, NVidia came out with specific Anniversary edition drivers.

So they may do something similar for the Creators release. The Creators update looks like it will be pretty significant as far as gaming goes. :banana:

2. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Eh, probably not really - at least not for those who already have a decent rig.
    All of those tweaks done by NVIDIA or Microsoft to enhance gaming performance always mostly benefit low-end users and even then it's a marginal improvement.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    WDDM 2.2 further improves Windows' handling of HDR and WCG. Unless you have such display not much will change for you.

4. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Both AMD and Nvidia apparently have experimental Shader Model 6.0 support in their latest drivers on the latest insider build

Haven't seen Nvidia comment it but Shader Model 6.0 will probably just be Maxwell 2 and onwards?

5. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SM6.0 will require FL12_0 so yeah, Maxwell2+ for NV, GCN2+ for AMD and Skylake+ for Intel.

6. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    very bad version 15058, wow!!!
    It's very slow when delete file and open program all unlock for a much time

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This is probably what's causing my issues with weird slowdowns and lag which I never experienced before on previous insider builds. Reinstalling the driver fixed most of the problems, except one that is occurring in Deus Ex MD.

Hopefully NVidia will release their Creator update optimized drivers as soon as possible.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    No issues here. This version is actually very fast for me. There's supposed to be another build released by the end of the week though, so if 15058 is giving you problems, you may want to try the newer one.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    SM6.0 can't cause any issues in programs which aren't using it and as of right now there are no programs which are using SM6.0.

10. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Anybody can test sm6.0 from now on with latest insider(Windows 10 Creators) and amd driver. Not sure about nvidia. Before , everybody had to use WARP.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ok. How is that changes what I've said?

12. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Did i say it change it?

If ms will enable kepler and maxwell v1 support on sm6.0 then amd gcn 1 will be supported as well. According to the current plan, from gcn 2.0 and up , maxwell v2 and up getting support on sm6.0. Nvidia users can enjoy a gimped support .

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Again, I've already said this.

And yes, Nvidia users can enjoy "gimped" support of FL12_1 while AMD users will enjoy their glorious full FL12_0.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  15. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    I see no benefit of FL12_1 in sm 6.0 . Maybe you can link something to see it.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Interesting, but since we're on this tangent, I haven't really seen any good write ups about the benefits of SM6.0 compared to previous editions that is explained in layman's terms.

Can you or dr_rus tell us what we as gamers should expect from SM6.0? Will it improve performance, image quality or both?

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The big thing in SM6.0 (and arguably the only thing of note) is the ability to make use of the GPUs parallelism directly from inside the shaders, ie. multi-threading for shaders, if you will.

They also improved the shader compilation process and gave them a more optimized path to get to the hardware, to fit into a DX12 landscape.
    An interesting part is that its fully backwards compatible to SM5, so the compiler improvements can be used very easily.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    Performance and code migration benefit. Amd driver is pretty much ready for DXIL v1.0 , while nvidia is still getting ready for it.
    Lot of instructions can be use more efficient. Further test will say more about this.

19. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified
    lol. Pretty much wrote the same thing :D

20. siriq

siriq Guest

GPU:
    Evga GTX 570 Classified