Two network connections on 1 PC

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Zaytas, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Zaytas

Zaytas Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 4080
    I'll try to keep it short but the explanation will give context on what I'm trying to do.

The fastest internet connection I can get in my area is a 20Mbit DSL connection (pretty slow). The connection goes to my wireless router and is shared between everyone in my house hold.

I just had a completely separate 20Mbit DSL line installed at have it connected to my gaming/primary PC via LAN port.

On my primary PC I can connect to both the LAN and the wireless network but I want to ensure the internet is only going through the LAN connection and not pulling internet down from the wireless. I still want to be connected to the wireless network as this computer is my plex server, access my NAS, wireless printer, etc.

How to I ensure internet only goes through the LAN connection?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance you can offer.

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I'm fairly certain windows 10 defaults all traffic over a LAN connection when both that and wifi are connected.

I'm always connected to LAN and all my traffic goes over there, even though i'm always on the wifi as well.

I just tested, when both are connected only the LAN is used.

3. Zaytas

Zaytas Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 4080
    Fantastic! Thank you. I guess I'll just watch the Ethernet and Wi-Fi on the performance tab in task manger to tell which one is being used?

4. Zaytas

Zaytas Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 4080
    Well that does not seem to be the case. I just opened up a twitch stream. All the traffic activity is going through the Wi-Fi connection right now. The Ethernet connection is not doing anything.

Anyone else have any ideas?

5. vase

vase Guest

GPU:
    -
    what you want to do is to set a static gateway on your primary pc to the IP of the router of the second DSL line which is connected via ethernet. that way internet traffic will only use the wired connection.
    additionally or alternatively you could block internet access for a single client on your wifi router for that computer.
    if you have a non static IP setup and your primary computer gets IP and gateway assigned from both routers then they will both compete for the delivery of http/etc.. requests. which means it is still possible then that you use wifi bandwidth.
    although! the probability of using big chungs of wi-fi bandwitdh with your primary pc will be very low because of the low latency of the ethernet connection, which will let the wifi requests expire...

6. Zaytas

Zaytas Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 4080
    So I tried option of blocking the internet traffic to this computer on the WiFi router. The problem is the computer randomly tries to use that connection... and it's blocked. As for the option of setting a static gateway to the IP of the router, could you please elaborate where/how I should do that? I know how to get the IP of the gateway of the second DSL line. I'm just unclear where I should set that in windows.

I do apprecaite the help.

7. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    ...that title - I came here expecting something hilariously terrible. :puke2:

8. dgraham1284

dgraham1284 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Ti's SLI
    1) You need a router capable of dual WAN connections.

2) You wouldn't set anything on your pc in regards to the WAN connection. Only the default gateway (inside facing router IP Address) and IP address of your machine. That is, if you aren't using DHCP.

3) in your router, you would set which external IP to use for outgoing requests/NAT.

9. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    you can set adapter priority on network settings somewhere, I think if you open properties of your LAN adapter there's a "interface metric" field, uncheck the thing that makes it random and set the metric to 1, then go to your wireless adapter and do the same but set the metric to 2 , also set your IP manually for your personal connection and that's it

just keep in mind windows will keep using LAN even if it fails and WLAN remains operative, you've expressly told it to use LAN no matter what :)

10. Zaytas

Zaytas Member

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX 4080
    I've set it up this way. So far so good! Thanks man. More testing to go but this solution is looking really good. I just want to mention, if anyone comes across this looking for the same solution, I have not done anything to manually set my IP. I've only changed the interface metric priority and it seems to be doing exactly what I wanted. Every time I try downloading or watching a video, etc it's going through the ethernet. I'm still able to access my NAS and other things connected to the wireless network fine.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    That's also an interesting route to take. As far as I know, a lot of ASUS models support this. Though keep in mind, you will not necessarily get 40 mbit as they're 2 seperate WAN connections.

What you will get is 2x 20 mbit and depending on how you configure the router, you can choose to balance the network load between the 2 connections.

A little bit more info: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1005714/

Though this example isn't really appropriate, as you'd be more likely to use a USB 3G/4G adapter as failover for when the primary WAN connection drops.

12. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X

I would recommend a Ubiquiti Edegrouter POE instead. Takes a little learning to set it up, but they are amazing. WAN rollover, Vlans, load balancing, traffic shaping, etc they can do alot.. really nice, fast, stable, cheap highly configurable router.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  13. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Saw load balancing mentioned by corrupt. You can go a step further than that, but in jist this isn't easy and there's no pre-made cheap solution that will do it as a router. There's client-solutions such as Speedify, yet these are for a single system that has access to two connections -- not a household with two lines.

If you really wanted to go the bonding route and if your ISP doesn't offer it:

You'd need:
    mptcp (multipath TCP -- to do the actual connection bonding)
    BadVPN tun2socks (user-space transparent TCP => SOCKS gateway)
    DanteD (socks server)
    zebedee or socat (over SSL)

Two linux machines:
    -One local PC to act as the home router.
    -A VPS (virtual private server) as the remove server (probably digging through somewhere like LET to buy one)

EDIT: To clarify on the VPS's a bit, if an offer is < 10$ a month I can assure you it's too cheap for this type of usage at 40mbit. (40 in, 40 out) You'd need to pay 10-15$ a month minimally to guarantee low enough node-density (few people sharing the host machine and its port), that you can get sufficient bandwidth always.

Home Network => {Home Linux Server} => Internet => {VPS} => Internet => remote TCP servers (websites, games, etc)

{Home Linux Server} -- mptcp kernel + tun2socks + encrypted tunnel (zebedee or socat)
    {VPS} -- mptcp kernel + encrypted tunnel + DanteD

*This doesn't handle UDP sadly.

You'd have two options there, which are shoving them through an OpenVPN session over TCP **BAD** (through mptcp), or doing OpenVPN + ifenslave. Provided that they're truly equal speed this can work pretty good with Interface round-robin of packets.

That said:

20mbit VDSL should support bonding. Call your Phone CO and ask if they can sell you 40mbit (20x20 bonded) service [may require moving up to a business account, but this is IMO worth it]. This is the easiest choice BY FAR.

There are other reasons that you want to buy bonded service straight from the Phone CO. For example, if you use a machine in a datacenter with any major host. DigitalOcean, Linode, Amazon EC, Vultr, NFO-Servers, etc, they will ALL be blocked from popular streaming services such as Netflix (via a global datacenters-wide ban).

--buying from the Phone CO, and using their bonding if they provide it -- your IP is a "residential address block" still.

Netflix support doesn't care how you use this service, for personal streaming to a residential address or otherwise. They will refuse to add an exclusion for your server's IP. (talking from experience)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  14. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    If you can find "Network Connections" open "Advanced Settings..." in the "Advanced" menu, there you can prioritize adapters.

15. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    There are relatively cheap ($250) routers from peplink that will allow you essentially bond two connections for site to site, and provide load balancing otherwise. They are also dead easy to use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004...ds=peplink&dpPl=1&dpID=31W0mzg11uL&ref=plSrch

Still think a cheap edgerouter($50-$100) would be the way to go if you want load balancing, just takes a little effort to learn how to use it, and there is plenty of people to help on their forums and Reddit.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

16. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    Happen to have any idea what their ballpark price is for FusionHub?
    -It sounds like you've used these router + software solutions before.

(I've only personally touched Mushroom Networks' bonding products)

From what I can gather reading on the site, looks like a one time payment model and you operate the server yourself. This is actually pretty appealing depending how their framework compares to mptcp in performance. Granted, the DIY route is free minus the VPS (no software cost).

--A proprietary supported solution has some appeal per support. mptcp, you can count on having to rebuild the kernel yourself and sometimes having to patch issues to get it working stable. (those kernels can be rather 'picky')

17. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I have no idea on fusion hub prices.

That aside my experience with them is all anecdotal (stories and reviews). Sorry, wish I could help.

18. thefivetheory

thefivetheory Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid
    I know this is a late response, but just FYI:

The "Essentials" level FusionHub virtual appliance (limited to 5 peers and a total of 25 Mbps throughput) is about $500, and the "Pro" tier (20 peers/50 Mbps) is about $2000. There are higher-level tiers, but they're presumably substantially more expensive. Thankfully, these are one-time costs for the license. You buy the license through a reseller/distributor, so it's possible pricing may vary slightly.

19. dd4000

dd4000 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050Ti 4GB
    An even later response.

If you or a friend of yours have enough Linux skills, you can buy a cheap router like TpLink WRT 740n, replace the firmware with OpenWRT, transform one LAN port into the second WAN port, add the balancing package and you're good to go. Done it, it worked like a charm...after some manual edits as GUI is a bit incomplete with regards to balancing.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017