NVidia drivers crash PC when done.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Executable, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Executable

Executable New Member

GPU:
    7300 GS / 7200 SE
    Hey guy, my first post here - hope you can provide me with a good solution because I'm really desperate at this moment.
    First off, I'm not a professional at computers but i know the basic stuff, i think.
    So here we go, I re-formatted my brother's computer after a long time, he's been having weird 4 stripes at Windows XP loading screen and the first booting screen.
    So it's all done, they're not gone however, now that i know i can not remove them by a format [thought the Windows was corrupt], I'm trying to get his PC to work okay again, so i though I'd start with the NVidia GeForce 7300 SE / 7200 GS.

I insert the disk, it's all nice, i click the button to install and i get the bar which is filled by green bars, it's all good until it reaches approximately 50%, then the screen turns black but the PC still works [power on].

My friend told me to get into safe mode and try installing, it worked, however once i started the PC, it did not advance beyond the XP loading screen [after it's done it just goes black], so i did "Last Good Known Configuration" and it worked... but the driver is no longer there.

This has also happened with a downloaded version from Nvidia site, and it also happened while trying to install his Motherboard's driver.

So my question... is there anything i could do to repair this, beside calling a technician?

2. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Theres a big chance the graphic card memory is broken. Time to get a new one. Just do not call a technician, you get 5 news cards for the money he takes.

Although i do not suggest it some people managed to resurrect dead cards by baking them. Use the search if you want to try this.

3. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    try baking it.

or just replace the card.

4. Executable

Executable New Member

GPU:
    7300 GS / 7200 SE
    Alright, thanks guys.
    One last thing, I'm assuming i cannot purchase the memory on it's own, right? [as in i have to replace the entire piece]?

5. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    No the memory can not be replaced. You need to know what bus type you need when you buy a new one so better take the old one with you if you go to a shop.