hardware advice surface pro 4

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tadde031, Dec 17, 2015.

1. tadde031

tadde031 Guest

GPU:
    Asus dcII gtx770 oc
    Hi, im Giovanni. I don't speak much English. I want your opinion. I would buy a Surface, I am torn between i5 and i7, the big difference is the GPU (hd 520 vs 540 and 3mb vs 4mb cache L2):

plus i7: 48rops (i5 24rops) and 64mb vram (i5 no vram)

plus i5: texture rate 4.8 gtexel/s (i7 2.4gtexel/s), render output units 8 ( i7 2 ), pixel rate 2.4 gpixel/s (i7 0,6gpixel/s) *

I have no idea what are these values but I know that I have to use Photoshop, I read "gpixel / s" and I think: pixel, photoshop, photo, MANY PIXEL " lol :)
    8gb ram enough for me. ROPs and DRAMs are used only for 3d?
    what are your recommendations?
    GPU hardware acceleration??? It is used just to speed up applications? I would stay on i5 to save money, but if the difference in performance of daily use or for programs like Photoshop or Premiere is so great, I can spend 300 more per i7.

I'm sorry for the many questions,
    I thank you in advance for an answer, I hope I have been clear. thanks a lot

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It doesn't really matter which one you get. It's likely they'll both throttle under heavy load anyway.

I don't believe Photoshop supports hardware acceleration on Intel iGPUs, which would make the performance difference between the HD520 and Iris 540 irrelevant unless you intend to use the SP4 to play games on as well. If that's the case, the Iris 540 is going to be a good bit faster than the HD520.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Why do you specifically want the Surface Pro 4? I am certain for its price you can get yourself a better laptop.

For both Photoshop and especially Adobe Premier Pro you'll notice improvements with the i7 I believe.

EDIT: For example here in Australia, look at this:

Alienware 15 R2 Gaming Laptop - $2498
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/alienware/alienware-15-r2-gaming-laptop/720895/

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 i7 256GB Tablet (8GB RAM) - $2498
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...surface-pro-4-i7-256gb-tablet-8gb-ram/837959/

Both cost the same... But the Alienware 15 R2 would be a massive improvement if you're working with the Adobe Suite.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. tadde031

tadde031 Guest

GPU:
    Asus dcII gtx770 oc
    yes,I thought about it but for me that I need to draw, make me comfortable 1024 pressure levels. It is more convenient than carrying around a graphics tablet Wacom, Alienware is the more uncomfortable

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015