Windows 7 update issue

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Arctucas, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    I had a problem with one of my PCs where I found it easier to simply wipe the drive and reinstall Windows (7 Home Premium x64).

Now, while I was able to download the required new Windows Updater, and the Internet works for everything else in IE11 (which managed to download and install it's updates) and Firefox 44, Windows Update simply does not work.

To wit; when I start Windows Update, it begins 'searching for updates', but it never finds any, even after several hours.

That is strange, I thought, so I opened TCPView and then started Windows Update. I found that no new no Internet connection opened, either TCP nor UDP.

I searched the Web for a solution, tried the various Microsoft Troubleshooters and FixIts, but nothing works.

This is a new, clean, activated Genuine copy of Windows, installed from the same disc as the original installation I had to wipe.

I have never experienced anything like this. Does anyone have an idea what is going on?

It is probably something simple, but I am at a loss to figure out what.

Thanks in advance.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It is actually downloading / installing updates in the background when it says it's looking for updates, if you reboot, you'll see it try installing some before it reboots

I use this to kick start it
    http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline104.zip

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Umm... no, it is not downloading anything. After over an hour, nothing downloaded, nothing tries to install, nothing at all.

Because, as far as I can tell, it is not connecting to the servers.

EDIT:

I tried the application you suggested, it appears that it does connect to the update servers.

I will let you know if it works.

However, while it may enable me to update Windows, that does not answer the question as to why Windows Update is not working?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah well, use that link instead

I found installing just a couple updates via that method, then rebooting, would fix WU

But also found after rebooting, it was downloading in the background, must be getting worse

MS broke 7 WU when that GWX update arrived

5. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    True that, which is why I am manually updating; so I can hide all those W10 push updates.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    windows 7 update is all screwed up.

I tried running a fresh install without updating. but the update service was running the cpu at 20% usage everytime there are was an update available.

it wouldnt drop back down until I installed the update.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    They've made what was the best Windows OS for many years, the most annoying

Wonder why they've done that...

8. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I did a clean install of windows 7 last week on my main pc and the windows is searching for updates took like forever, it finaly started after like half an hour.I also choose the updates carefully.Just wait it can take awhile before it ''finds'' something.

9. john9871

john9871 Guest

windows 10 have more bugs than i thought

10. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Yes, I wonder...

But, you know Microsoft's slogan; "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is".

BTW,

After running the tool, Windows Update started working.

Thanks

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :) Good stuff

12. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    you know why they did it......cause it makes it a HUGE pain in the ass to re-install win 7....i would rather install win 10 on a dozen pcs and still have them all completely fully updated before the one win 7 is done with updates. I be very tempted to use one of those AIO versions to try and save time.

If they was an offical recent build of win 7 you could instill from iso i might still be using 7.:)

13. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Yes I can confirm Windows updates on older OS's like Vista and 7 have been flaky since Windows 10 was released. Since time is a factor for my business I now use an Offline WU insaller for Vista, 7 and 8.1.

Damn you MS

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that is 100% why it's happening, Win 7 still has the biggest market share afaik, and MS has taken steps to solve that, by basically breaking one of their best OSs, they're shameless, and transparent

Luckily there are clever people out there who can find fairly simple workarounds to solve MS's little puzzles

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    qft.