HTC One - Unboxing Video

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by freeZ, Mar 18, 2013.

1. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    no removable battery

no microSD card

Only two capcitative buttons...

Gonna pass. Looks like S4 is where I'm going.

2. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    MicroSD card slot isn't required since it comes in the 64GB flavour as well as the 32GB.

Unsure on the battery specs but it's supposed to be better but this is completely irrelevant and you've ignored the feature design of the phone...

The One is made from a single aluminium block and therefore is the worlds first solid and metallic design thus your never going to be able to change the battery.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    who said 64GB is all I wanted? Plus you pay a nice premium for that extra memory versus just buying an inexpensive SD card

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I couldn't care less about what it's made off, my s4 will be sat in an otter box case. also, 64gb models of any phone are more expensive than let's say 16gb. I'm getting an s4 and will stick my 16gb memory card in it that has served me well for 3 years now.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I agree that a removable battery and an SD card slot would be nice, but I suppose it just isn't possible with the current design where they pyramid stack components with the battery in the middle. Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me. My current HTC has both a removable battery and an SD card slot, but I still only use the 8GB card that came with it and I've not needed to replace the battery after 2 years of use. Over here you have 5 years warranty anyway, it doesn't matter if the battery dies.

People have different uses I suppose. I use Spotify to stream music on the go (seriously, this service is really good!), I don't need heaps of local storage.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    interesting, might actually check out spotify. what bitrate are songs on there?

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The mobile version supports the same quality as the desktop client. Ie, 96kbps (standard), 192 kbps (high, normal on desktop) and 320 kbps (extreme on mobile, high on desktop). They use AAC, I believe. The quality is more than good enough, both for mobile and desktop usage.

Excellent service. Well worth the tenner I pay a month.

Edit: oh, and it also allows you to sync playlists, ie, download entire playlists of music on to your phone for offline usage. You can of course share playlists between your mobile and computer etc too.

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm... 320kbps would be ok for mobile use I guess, when I'm not walking around with my massive headphones on. and passable for home use, at a push. I'll check it out now, thanks John. Sorry about the OT btw guys.

9. Andrés

Andrés Guest

So... what about the 4MP "special" camera?. Can you upload some pictures?

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    of*

I was just stating why it is the way it is and your S4 sitting in an otter box case has exactly what to do with this thread? :3eyes:

I find phones which have non-removable cases to be more sturdy.

11. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Have you tried uploading your library to Google Music and streaming it all for free on your phone? I used Spotify but I prefer free :)

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    No, but I've read about it. Interesting concept. Although, I use Spotify to discover new music which it's really good at. It gives you recommendations based on the music you've scrobbled through the last.fm app if you use that, or just via similar artists to what you're currently listening to. It's just really easy and hassle free.

But yes, I still download flacs of the things I like and play that through a more "audiophile" setup with Foobar/WASAPI on my desktop.

13. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    can anyone tell me the best ROM for this phone? i want to get rid of the annoying carrier boot logo video and any bloatware

14. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Xperia Z disappointed me big time, so I am looking at this and S4. S4 has a better camera with hardware, features etc, but One has good sound and design. Is it really worth getting One for the Speakers and design?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Phones like iphone? more sturdy? good one.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    world's

not being able to change the battery could be the reason not to get the One.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  17. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I think that's debatable and depends on what you're using the camera for. The One will be better in low-light scenarios, at least. Anandtech was quite pleased with the camera in the One: http://anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/7

They were very pleased with the phone overall, as well. I want one of these in black badly!

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    From what I've seen the S4 camera is superior to the One camera in most conditions, apart from low light shots. f/2.2 kinda looks usable too from what I've seen in pictures, I didn't expect that wide an aperture on a phone. Either way, both are most likely pretty decent shooters in all honesty.

19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes agreed. The camera alone isn't enough to way me in either direction, but I will say that good low-light performance is a big plus for me as I live in a country with little to no daylight half of the year. That is honestly the biggest gripe I have with the camera in my current phone. Daylight performance is already good enough tbh.

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    This. I love HTC devices, hardware & build quality-wise.

If only the bootloader was unlocked I probably would of bought one.

Apart from that, the spec, looks & build quality of the phone rock.