MFAA on GTX 7xx series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Doom112, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    I want to ask that can GTX 7xxx able to use MFAA?

sorry for my bad English.

2. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
  3. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    ^Dam but never mind my GTX 780 TI SLI can handle Msaa 2x very well on 1440p

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sounds to me like MFAA is nothing more than a rebranded TXAA from the description of it...unless this AA option can be forced in ALL games via profiles unlike TXAA which needs to implemented into the game itself.

5. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    It is not a TXAA...It will be used like FXAA in everygame.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Sounds to me like MFAA has less blur, will be interesting to see how it compares in motion.
    TXAA uses some post processing, not sure about the filter used with MFAA.

http://youtu.be/Nef6yWYu0-I

http://youtu.be/eg5iKiQcRMc

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  7. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    I get the feeling that this might be what NVIDIA is creating to replace CSAA... Might explain why CSAA is absent from Maxwell cards.

If that's going to be the case, then NVIDIA just won big time. Though I wonder, how high would MFAA go up to? 8x? 16x?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If MFAA can be used in all games via the profiles then that is great news provided it isn't like FXAA, i.e. it just applies a post-processing edge filter across the entire images, including text and HUD elements, because that is one reason why I not like forcing FXAA via the NVIDIA profiles. Text can often look distorted, especially if it is thin and/or small.

I look forward to trying this out tomorrow as I am expecting my EVGA GTX 980 SC to be delivered from Scan sometime on Saturday. :D

9. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    They showed Demo in BF4 comparing MFAA 4x and MSAA 4X and i have to say even there was no compromise on quality and even MSAA 8x cannot beat MFAA 4x in that Demo also to mention there big performance difference too.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    MSAA in DirectX 11 games seems to be generally pretty poor (read: spotty and not always applied equally to all edges in a scene) from my experience. Some games look better than others but in my testing I've found that MSAA + in-game FXAA or MSAA (+ enhanced SGSSAA) usually gives the best overall image quality in terms of removing aliasing.

11. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    That because MSAA doesn't work well with deferred rendering and there aren't many other alternatives, mostly post-process AA(FXAA, SMAA) or using SSAA which is too expensive.

There is also this but for now it's only a paper and not something we can use. Adaptive Multi Frequency Shading:
    https://software.intel.com/sites/de...cy_Shading_for_Future_Graphics_Processors.pdf

back to MFAA, this is interesting:
    Seems one of the ways they're reducing the costs is to use interleaved sampling instead of full(kind of like HBAO+ I suppose).

12. Glacia_k

Glacia_k Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 ti
    No, it's 2nd gen Maxwell hardware feature.

It has nothing to do with TXAA. It's just MSAA that changes it's sampling pattern. It's not a new idea really, devs asked for something like this for a long time. It's simply is faster/better MSAA.

Afaik, First gen maxwell still supports CSAA, not sure about 2nd gen through.

I think it's safe to say that it will be possible to force it via control panel.

MSAA solves geometry aliasing, it doesn't solves any other kind.

13. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    Err, I'm using a 1st gen Maxwell card right here (GTX 750 Ti), and CSAA is nowhere to be found. Tried to enable it for Black Ops once through Inspector, and the game crashed.

14. Glacia_k

Glacia_k Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 ti
    Strange, 750 ti still supports CSAA extension for OpenGL. I thought that Nvidia just decided to remove it from control panel for some reason. Thanks for the info!

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    yes its a mix of coverage csaa, regular msaa and fxaa..

Now if its really maxwell exclusive they can suck it.

TXAA was possible with older gen aka GF110 but nv decided to lock it.. Same old story again.

16. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    It's probably going to be Maxwell-exclusive for a while, and by a while, I think probably a few months. Then they will start supporting other structures.

17. Jakshi

Jakshi Member Guru

GPU:
    PoV GTX680@1300/3700
    Can't find the review atm, but I read that MFAA is like an enchancing option for games which already support in-engine MSAA. So BF4 for example has MSAA options in menu, you activate the MFAA option in your driver. The ingame MSAA2x gets enchanced to MFAA that looks better than the ingame 4xMSAA with better performance.

18. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    one doubts hdmi 2.0 on gtx 4/5/6/7 is possible too?

in gtx 9xx hdmi 2.0 is native

is very important hdmi 2.0 for using 4k 60 hz
    hdmi 1.4a is **** 4k only 30 hz maximum

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That would be great if it worked like that.

That said, there are a lot of DX11 games that do not have MSAA support but would benefit from MFAA (e.g. BioShock Infinite) so using the enhance option would not work and overriding it wouldn't either as AA compatibility flags currently do not work with DX11.

20. RdJokr

RdJokr Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 750 Ti TF / 2GB
    I saw the option in NVIDIA inspector, but has it worked yet?