Intel Haswell to Include Integrated Voltage Regulator

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    really? would be nice if it comes with a hoe lol

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    ummm, now the question would be: what would the effects be on overclocking? Last time Intel integrated more things into the CPU, it made overclocking a bit messy with it requiring an unlocked CPU.

Though, not going to lie, I'm happy about lower CPU power consumption.

deltatux

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Sexytime!

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Without compromising stock performance I'm sure. As an enthusiast I'd like to know the implications on moderate overclocking though we won't find that out until release.

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I think the implications are actually positive, the article itself tells us how Intels integrated voltage regulators offer much more flexibility in terms of the number of phases available. This means better control of power delivery.

This innovation is not to be under estimated. The implementation of programmable power electronic devices on a 22nm node is not easy; as designing analogue circuits on such an advanced node, next to large digital circuits is hard.

This means Intel has been spending some of that R&D money on power electronics which is a cool field.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Guess they figure that's where they will find their future power savings once the die shrinks run out.

8. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    What about OC'ing, I think this will either have positive or negative impact with OC.

Noone can tell me it would change nothing because it may cause a lot of things from simple overheat, to impossible ''high'' OC with power being on the actual CPU.

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    These are great news. I hope that the power savings and voltage stability increase will be noticeable.

GPU makers might benefit from such solution too.

10. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    this actually might have a positive effect on oc'ing unless it creates a barrier, but i think we might see more stable clocks from this compared to without it. before we would bump up on the voltage and everything would be over volted and always on, now it will only get the power when necessary, in which case i think there would be reduced stress on certain components of the chip.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I more interested in the latency this may or may not cause. As it stand most Voltage changing and Speeds changes cause latency spikes. Which is Why I have all Power management features on CPu Turned off.

Lower power usage is great, but not if it gona cause latency spikes, but then this imo

12. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    they say it wont effect performance but we will see. i don't think we will see any recognizable latency from this though due to its integration.

13. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    In theory sounds great and should offer better life expectancy of the chip.
    Me being a pessimist, it'll add more heat to the cpu package as anytime I think of vrm I also think of high temps.
    I imagine it will be Intel way of making sure your oc'd $200 chip doesn't out perform the $500+ Intel chip.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have to partially agree on that. But it may turn out in any way; the time will show.

High VRM temps are caused by power loss, but you can see that it gets better and better. I can remember times where PSUs were like heaters; now they're so efficient that you can barely notice their losses if you have one with Silver/Gold specs (especially in regions with 230V). I think it'll be the same with CPU's + the shorter distance for high-current voltage = less power loss. There will be also a possibility to reduce power pin count on LGA/BGA.

15. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    You can achieve that if you have motherboard capable of setting offset voltages.