My very own Arrgh thread (smp install issues)

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by must_kill_ati, Jul 31, 2009.

1. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I'm having issues installing the SMP client (MPICH version).
    I've read and followed install instructions here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH and here
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=234451
    to no avail.

The SMP client version is FAH6.23beta (latest according to stanford) (mpich).

According to the instructions, after running the install.bat command in the command prompt (i did see that MPI was working, twice), my next step is to configure the client. This is where my issues arise (I think!).
    Now, I have tried this multiple ways. First umpteen attempts were according to the stanford guide, which says to type this command (fah6 -configonly -smp) once I've navigated to the proper install folder in the cmd prompt. This only took me back to a cmd prompt, with no actions taken. According to the guide, I should see multiple options to configure the client.

I've also attempted to just change the flag on a shortcut using "-smp"...I'll see a cmd prompt pop up and disappear fast enough that I can't see if anything happens.

Hours have passed by...many reinstalls...reboots...and I feel I've given enough effort to ask for individual help. Please do! I want to help to the best of my ability.
    I'm using Vista Home Premium x64.
    Please give me a "next step".

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Download this and replace the 6.23 executable.

SMP 6.24

3. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Thank you. It runs.

Not to lessen my apprieciation level, I've attempted to create a shortcut and use the -smp flag with this. Whenever I do, i get a file I/O error and it shuts down...any clue?

Btw, if I leave it alone, 1 core will run at full steam so there's still a big improvement over my hair-pulling time earlier today (thanks again).

**Update** I rule LOL!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Still running as a single core?

Re-install the client and use the newest executable (the one I linked you to).

I'm guessing that you ran it a few times without the -smp flag now it using the wrong folding core type.

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    What I thought was working, was not. I left it running overnight (1 core) and it had been hitting 20% on one core...thought that'd be ok. Woke up this morning and it was still at 0% done zzzzz...
    I'm going to forget about it for a few days, as I'll be rebuilding o/s and adding some different hardware. Hopefully a new build has different results. I've got the gpu version running fine, so that will do for now.

**Update**
    (As you said ^^)

As it turns out, installing, reinstalling, repeating, rebooting, and logging on and off is not a good combination for the correct installation of F@H.

What I found out was that, after I initially started to fold with the smp client (without using the -smp flag)...the program remembered that fact and wanted to finish that WU as a single core. When I logged my Administrator account today and installed there, using the -smp flag before I ever ran it...no issues.

So...I deleted everything, cleaned out anything regarding F@H in the registry and reinstalled repeating what had worked for me in the Administrator account. No issues, all 4 cores running. Yay.

Tnx again for your help ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009