Nvidia driver frustration

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bigmouth12, Feb 14, 2015.

1. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    Hi all

I've been having a graphic driver nightmare since I've built my new rig. The specs are as follows:

Intel Core i7 4790K running stock frequency w/ EIST, C1E Halt, C3/C6/C7 state support and Turbo disabled.
    Corsair H100 without Corsair Link
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H with the F8 BIOS
    8GB Corsair Vengence RAM running default timing and frequency
    EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 SSC
    Corsair RM750 PSU
    LG Blu-Ray drive
    Auzentech Bravura sound card.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

The issue I keep running into is an issue with my current GTX 960. I've installed the latest 347.52 driver and keep encountering intermittent suttering/lag on the desktop that seems linked to a driver problem. I downloaded DPC Latency and noticed that the latency spikes up to the max level every so often when I encounter this stuttering on the mouse. The machine is on a pretty fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate since I just did a re-install of the OS (thought it might have been an issue with the OS). If I uninstalling the driver the problem goes away, if I instead use the integrated graphics with the Intel graphics driver I also don't have an issue.

Prior to buying the 960 I had an old AMD Radeon HD 5850 which I also had problems with, mostly with the display driver crashing and recovering on an older version of the Catalyst driver. If I used the latest Catalyst driver 12.x I get a Blue Screen with a TDR error message trying to boot into Windows. I've tried using an even older Geforce 9800 GT with the latest driver appropriate for the card and I can' event boot into the PC at all. I really thought a new card would have solved all my problems but not really.

Each time I've done testing with these cards I've used Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode to do a clean removal of the driver files and I know these cards work as they perform fine on other machines. I've tried disabling un-necessary drivers in Device Management (NICs, sound driver, etc), I removed the Auzentech sound card that's next to the GTX 960, I changed the GTX 960 power management to performance opposed to adaptive, Windows power setting is set to High Performance, uncheck any power saving management on the USB. I've done just about everything I know to correct this elusive driver related problem but no dice. Has anyone else run into the same issue with their Z97X-UD5H? Not sure if this is actually a hardware fault or something else. I did buy this board last summer (7 months ago)

Any ideas/suggestion/advice?

Thanks.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Have you fully updated your chipset drivers, not just install the INF? You can force install the drivers.

You can extract them by using the following command ("Run"):
    SetupChipset.exe -extract <path>

You can then install them the old fashioned way.

I had some weird SLI issues until I did this back when I had my GTX 780's in SLI. I would get unstable clocks. I updated the pcie express controllers and for whatever reason everything was stable.

If this does not work, I suggest making PCIe primary boot in the BIOS if you have not also.

If the BIOS is fully updated, maybe you should try going back a step with the BIOS to see if the problem is cleared up.

I don't own the board just trying to throw ideas out there to help. I know the problem I had others had with SLI on different boards. So, good luck! :)

3. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    I have Z97X-UD5H-BK but never had problems like this. It seems like a motherboard/PCI-E issue maybe try flashing F9f bios

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Also you dont really have to disable all those power saving features.. EIST, C1E, turbo can all be left enabled, Just make sure you run @ windows high performance power plan when you game.

Did you test if it happens in Win8.1 too?

Might want to double check system ram - memory enhance try normal instead of turbo (can cause stutters or TDR if too tight)

and few voltages
    -cpu system agent or VCCSA (can fix these type of stutters or TDR), try 0.020v+ offset or even 0.040v, its ok up to 0.150v+ so dont worry about it

- cache voltage, I've seen GB sometimes uses too little and underpowered cache can cause such issues too (stutters)

5. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    Perusing the Gigabyte Download page for my board comes up with a bunch of loose drivers for USB 3, NICs, MS .NET Framework, audio drivers, etc. There isn't a chipset driver per se but there is an INF installation. I'm not quite sure what the INF does or if that's what I'm missing. The BIOS versions prior to the most recent F8 stable version seem to by default over volt the 4790K. I will try that if all else fails though.

That BIOS is still in Beta which I am a bit weary of, but it's something I'll have to look into if nothing else works. I'm always super paranoid I might end up bricking the board.. even though it does have dual BIOS.

If it is an issue the PCI/e slot why does uninstalling the Nvidia driver fix my issue? I keep thinking there's some driver conflict but I've uninstall practically every driver on my machine, plus disabling a few devices in device manager. Are you also on the F9F BIOS?

If I leave all the power saving features enabled... the PC doesn't boot, I thought it was a bit odd. It'll keep power cycling. But it does boot with the power saving features enabled if I use the Integrated graphics with Intel drivers (with the 960 removed). Windows is set to High Performance and I have ran MemTest 86+ on my RAM and Prime95 on the system after building the rig for about 18ish hours. They seem to check out. I've only gotten the TDR BSOD on the AMD card but not with the this brand new GTX 960. I thought about upgrading to Win 8 to see if the problem persist since I bought the Windows 8 upgrade.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. This help immensely to get ideas what things I could try to resolve this. Thanks!

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Were the Geforce experience or updater apps installed with the driver package? If so, try removing them.....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Have you installed your IME (intel management engine) driver and if you did is it updated, both firmware and driver?

8. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    wait a sec....has that got a Killer NIC? Uninstall it and see if the lag disappears. Iirc there were some issues with the Qualcomm drivers.

Bios update wouldn't hurt either.... been a few bug fixes. U never know. :)

10. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    During the driver installation I unchecked all the boxes except for the Physx software.

I did, but there seems to be a hotfix for it on the Gigabyte support page which I have to install first before the IME. Will try that and report back.

EDIT: Gave the hotfix a shot and no dice.

11. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    Yep, killed that driver a while back. But the stuttering/lag on the desktop is still present.

I'll likely try a BIOS update soon.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did u completely uninstall the NIC drivers and Killer suite then reinstall the Qualcomm drivers?

The Killer Lan is just a renamed Qualcomm Atheros AR8

Drivers here if u need them:
    https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-network-drivers.html

ymmv

13. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    I have two NICs on the board. Intel and the Killer NIC. I've only ever used the Intel NIC so I have the Killer NIC driver uninstalled at the moment.

14. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I realized that after I posted lol. Oh well....

The DPC checker should have a more detailed report

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    LatencyMon has item in menu for copying text report to clipboard. Copy and paste report here (between "spoiler" tags).

If you use only one NIC then disable the other one in BIOS.

17. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    A quick update. I upgraded to a clean install of Windows 8 with no applications installed on the machine except for the 347.52 driver for the GTX 960; I'm still running into this stuttering/lag problem. I'll probably upgrade to 8.1 in a bit.

Here's the Latencymon export:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:18:08 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: SONATA
    OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
    Hardware: Z97X-UD5H, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 8103 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3991.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 4180.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 222715.934835
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.877668

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 222714.395279
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.140735

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 173206.508644
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.036964
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.050788

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 377499
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 197961.842145
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.013298
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.067978

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 3052677
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 2657
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 860
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 751358.247056
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.036147
    Number of processes hit: 25

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 10.084204
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 173206.508644
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 4.421167
    CPU 0 ISR count: 377526
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 197961.842145
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 4.544761
    CPU 0 DPC count: 2299197
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.882964
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 1 ISR count: 0
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24737.232774
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.031028
    CPU 1 DPC count: 741
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.932051
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count: 0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 88560.694563
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.515225
    CPU 2 DPC count: 21265
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.764053
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 3 ISR count: 0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24744.529191
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.055763
    CPU 3 DPC count: 886
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.370649
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 4 ISR count: 0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 110.010524
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 0.009508
    CPU 4 DPC count: 1978
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.557880
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 5 ISR count: 0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 49486.794287
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 0.496059
    CPU 5 DPC count: 725143
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.426311
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 6 ISR count: 0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 24745.074417
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 0.134808
    CPU 6 DPC count: 2617
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.527740
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
    CPU 7 ISR count: 0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 49491.906790
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 0.130431
    CPU 7 DPC count: 905

18. bigmouth12

bigmouth12 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 960
    I've just about exhausted everything I have. I've tried the F5 BIOS (two revisions behind my F8 BIOS) and the latest Beta F9f BIOS, and nothing. I feel as though there is some overall system resource issue I'm not seeing. I have a newly minted OS with no drivers on it except the graphics driver and still see this stuttering/lag. The board is still under warranty, but I don't know for sure if it's a hardware issue or not since the card still works absolutely fine if I uninstall the driver for it... I'm pretty stumped.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Go to Device Manager (maximize its window), switch view to "Resources by type", expand "Interrupt request (IRQ)" tree node, scroll down to PCI devices and take screenshot.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I'd pull that GTX 960 out of the PC and run display on Intel.
    Always go with minimum hardware. No sense debugging GPU if problem lies elsewhere.

Default settings in BIOS, with Killer disabled (not just driver uninstall)