GeForce + Triple Buffering + Windows 8 = impossible?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Terepin, May 22, 2013.

1. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Terepin, have you tried DirectX Tweaker?

Some are reporting that the tool is working in windows 8 (but they were not talking about triple buffering option)

It is not a very user friendly tool but there is a description there:
    http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_9.html

2. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    Impossible for the most part. Somehow nvidia doesn't see the need to incorporate D3D support in the most useful features of it's drivers.

Go team green!

3. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Radeon Pro works in windows 8.1 with Nvidia cards and in 64 bit games as well.

4. sprocketgearzz

sprocketgearzz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB DDR5
    Nvidia control panel > manage 3D settings> program setting > add > choose your game
    then enable triple buffering

5. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    The TB setting in the NVCPL is for OpenGL games only. You can use D3DOverider to force it but it doesn't support 64bit games or Windows 8, RadeonPro does but it has it's own problems, The Witcher 2 launcher wont even open for me if when it's running. The creator of RadeonPro has stopped development on it so that might not work in the future.

NVIDIA really need to pull their finger out and start paying attention to the requests of their customers.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Just use RadeonPro. These kinds of settings (triple buffering, vsync, stuff like that) work for NVidia cards too.

7. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I use Nvidia Inspector forced Vsync + D3dOverrider Triplebuffering for D3D games on Windows 8.1 U1. The vsync most definitely works but I really can't tell if triple buffering is ever working. The input lag is minimal though, and it my be partially due to maximum pre-rendered frames being set to 1.

Adaptive vsync is completely useless in games with less complex terrain and textures to hide tearing like Mirror's Edge.

8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    aaaand in surround with SLI your extra miffed. Took me forever to find out why I was getting 30fps with 4 titans in fricking wow. Their in game triple buffering doesn't work either. It's basically no Vsync or bust.

Your correct about everything you said including nvidia ignoring everyone and missing the most basic and needed of features. Yet they still charge a massive premium and people still pay it. Believe it or not I have dozens of pages of back and forth dialogue on a single issue that's been saved since June of last year and they still haven't addressed it.

They have larger priorities (such as geforce experience and 3d profiles for games I've never heard of) apparently.

9. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    ffxiv

10. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    it isnt, and it is. (trip buff not working & adaptive being caca)

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    d3doverrider works perfectly on 8.1.. just it needs to be updated for x64 executables..

12. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Is this true? I know that alot of people use Radeonpro for Sweetfx in win8.1. Pretty good program if so.

13. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I've been testing this and yes, triple buffering with RadeonPRO does work with NVidia cards. VSync has to be forced on with NVidia Inspector.

I've been having a really annoying problem. Some games (Borderlands, Ethan Carter, XCom Enemy Within, Tomb Raider) get locked at exactly 40 FPS when SLI is enabled (at 4k resolution). Without VSync, my frames are above 100. The only way that I've found to get around this is by using RadeonPRO.

I really wish NVidia would just give us a triple buffering option. I mean, seriously, how hard can it be? When an app designed for a competing product is the only option, you know something is wrong.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to apply Triple Buffering globally with RadeonPRO? Everything's greyed out on the global profile and it has to be done on a per-game basis.

EDIT 2: It seems this problem only occurs when using DSR. If I run the game at the same resolution using a custom resolution, everything's fine.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  14. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    D3DOverrider only works with 32bit DX11 games for me with Windows 8.1.

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's what he just said...

16. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Nope, he said it works perfect but it needs updating for 64 bit. I said it only works for 32 bit DX11 games for me, meaning it doesn't work for DX9.

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    Meaning it needs to be updated by the creator to work with 64bit ;)

But the problem is, Microsft won't WHQL drivers that have triple buffering for DX so Nvidia and ATI won't do it,

and Unwinder didn't get any interest from MSI or EVGA in the past, so no one wants to invest into a new version of d3doverrider.

It seems if we want Unwider to work on it, we need to raise the funds via kickstarter or something.