Safe Temperature Without Fast Degradation?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Neo Cyrus, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    So I finally cracked and bought a Daydream View (now that after 6 months my phone finally got the Nougat + Daydream update) for $90 (~$102).

The issue aside from the lack of software/support? My phone (Axon 7) battery skyrockets to 48C in maybe 40 mins, and in 20 mins can go over 42C. 48C on the battery makes the entire (aluminium) phone so hot to the touch that it can actually burn. I even tried using aluminium foil as a heatsink while running the phone in ultra low power mode to try to keep temperatures lower. It still was something like 42C in under 30 mins. Daydream might actually be overriding the power/frequency limitations power saving mode enables, but I can't exactly check because if I close an application to do so and open a CPU monitor it'd drop to idle frequencies. I wonder if I can split screen it?

I know heat while charging causes battery degradation, especially if charging to 100%, which is why I use AccuBattery to only charge my phone to 80% and only slow charge. According to it's readings, my battery degrades 1/5th or less than if I were to charge it to 100%, and a smaller fraction compared to fast charging.

So what happens to Li-ion batteries under 40-50C while not charging? Do they still get rapid degradation? Or is the process entirely different because it's not charging at the time?

**** the manufacturers for making batteries non-removable. This would be a non-issue if I could just swap the damn thing out. Even worse, Daydream hijacks some non-Daydream VR apps and forces itself to be enabled to allow them to run which means even those would heat up more unnecessarily, drains more battery, and screws with their usage since going "back" goes to the Daydream interface instead of back to the app.

I'm blown away that Google would release such a flawed and seemingly dangerous product to the public! I've seen countless reports that Google Pixel XL users have to shut their phones down due to overheating in as little as 20 minutes!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks for the link. It says at 45C a battery's expected life would be 50% less than if it were used at 20C.

In the case of cell phone batteries they're almost guaranteed to operate closer to 30C and will never be at 20C since that's below room temperature. So from the sound of things having some hours of VR heating the battery to over 40C isn't going to be as damaging as I thought. It's still pretty bad. I'll try airplane mode next time and see if that somehow helps. Between a foil for extra heat dissipation, ultra-low power mode, and airplane mode, I don't know if there's anything left I can do to lower the crazy temps aside from maybe shove in a gel/ice pack in there to absorb some more of the heat. If one thin enough exists.

4. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yes, thanks for posting that. I did see it before, so I was well aware that the SoC essentially uses the battery as a heatsink.

But this isn't a problem isolated to the Axon 7, the Google Pixel XL's battery heats up just as bad if not worse. I hear that even Samsung devices using their VR headsets also heat up significantly.

I'm sitting here wondering WTF are Google running that's pushing the SoC so hard that it heats up this much? If you just run a VR app without Daydream running it doesn't cause any more heat at all than any normal video or game.