Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

opinions needed for buying a car
Old
  (#1)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default opinions needed for buying a car - 03-11-2017, 09:11 | posts: 2,843 | Location: far,far from home

Hello gents !
Don't know if the right place to ask or the right place for this thread, but here it goes.
I need to replace my old dying '97 Passat.I will not buy a brand new car, i want a used one.
I want a sedan with good mileage.I make aroud 15.000 km /year and 80% town 20% highway trips.
Now, the budget is around 7000 top.
Had a debate with few knowlegde people with hand-on experience in car repair and received mixed opinions.
Some said that diesel is not a option anymore(diesel gate just confirmed their theories) and go with a japanese petrol sedan, Mazda, Honda or Toyota.
Some said that diesel is more economic and get a used VW, Skoda or KIA.
For now, i am looking at Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Acord and some other models.
Well, i would like some input here, maybe will get the whole picture laid out more easily, and decide what to buy.

Old
  (#2)
nz3777
Maha Guru

Videocard: Evga Gtx 780 Acx Sc @1165
Processor: Fx 8320 E @ 4.2 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M
Memory: 8gb 1600mhz/Ballistic
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Recon 3d
PSU: Corsair Hx 850
Default 03-11-2017, 12:54 | posts: 1,559 | Location: Willowbrook ill.

Honda and toyota is a no-brainer my friend they last 4 ever are very easy /cheep to work on. Having had both I would pick honda.Disel will net you better milage but as economic and afficent todays engines are you schould be good to go with a regular motor-dont even worry about it.

1)Honda accord 4 door
2)Toyota corolla S 4 door- a little more sporty.
3)Mazda 6 is also very nice and the brand in general has only gotten better in the last 10+years.

You cant go wrong with either one here.Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Old
  (#3)
N0sferatU
Maha Guru

Videocard: Old Radeon (not gamer)
Processor: Intel Core i7 LGA 2011
Mainboard:
Memory: 8 GB
Soundcard: Denon AHD7000 Headphones
PSU: Corsiar
Default 03-11-2017, 13:14 | posts: 1,624 | Location: United States

Life is too short to drive boring cars. Go get something with excitement. With the terms you use it seems you're in Europe. I'm from the US so I'm not as familiar with all the various models in your part of the world.

Maybe look at some hot hatches if you're on a budget. Something like a VW GTI equivalent.

Old
  (#4)
sverek
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX970 4G
Processor: i5 2500k
Mainboard: P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Ven. 8GB
Soundcard: XonarDG+HD595
PSU: Corsair HX850
Default 03-11-2017, 14:06 | posts: 2,622 | Location: Ibaraki, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0sferatU View Post
Life is too short to drive boring cars. Go get something with excitement.
Life if too short to work, go jump off the cliff for adrenaline and see how it goes.
Life is too short to care about tomorrow, spend whatever you have and life like there no tomorrow.
Life is too short to do boring stuff, get some drugs to get yourself excited and party like beast.

Cars are nothing but a tool to get person from point A to point B.
While someone needs to drive Porsche and fart some noise to make himself feel significant, other people do other things to make themselves happy.

Toyota Corolla is no brainier when it comes to car selection. Japanese car overall seems to last longer, and its also proved on Russian roads by Russian drivers.
If you want to spice things a little, consider Subaru Legacy B4. It's a bit more powerful than Corolla with 2000-2500 cc engine, so might run better than Corolla if you load your car. Fuel efficiency, probably going to Corolla with standard 1500 cc engine.

Just make sure you buying not a broken car. No matter how well-built car might be, bad owner could ruin it. Engine issues are not visible to ordinary owners, better make sure to take it for inspection. If there nothing wrong with it, you can prolong life of a car by changing oil once in a year and some other basic things that affect older cars condition a lot more with age.

Good luck and have fun in choosing!

Old
  (#5)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
Processor: i7-2600k (Thanks sykozis)
Mainboard: ASRock H61icalf
Memory: 8GB G.S DDR3 1600 --TK--
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: PC Power&Cooling S61EPS
Default 03-11-2017, 14:32 | posts: 3,921 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz3777 View Post

1)Honda accord 4 door
2)Toyota corolla S 4 door- a little more sporty.
3)Mazda 6 is also very nice and the brand in general has only gotten better in the last 10+years.

You cant go wrong with either one here.Good luck and enjoy the new ride.

Totally Agree^

Old
  (#6)
IcE
Don Snow

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Mainboard: Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400
Soundcard: Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 03-11-2017, 22:07 | posts: 10,594 | Location: Toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post
Life if too short to work, go jump off the cliff for adrenaline and see how it goes.
Life is too short to care about tomorrow, spend whatever you have and life like there no tomorrow.
Life is too short to do boring stuff, get some drugs to get yourself excited and party like beast.

While someone needs to drive Porsche and fart some noise to make himself feel significant, other people do other things to make themselves happy.

Toyota Corolla is no brainier when it comes to car selection. Japanese car overall seems to last longer, and its also proved on Russian roads by Russian drivers.
If you want to spice things a little, consider Subaru Legacy B4. It's a bit more powerful than Corolla with 2000-2500 cc engine, so might run better than Corolla if you load your car. Fuel efficiency, probably going to Corolla with standard 1500 cc engine.

Just make sure you buying not a broken car. No matter how well-built car might be, bad owner could ruin it. Engine issues are not visible to ordinary owners, better make sure to take it for inspection. If there nothing wrong with it, you can prolong life of a car by changing oil once in a year and some other basic things that affect older cars condition a lot more with age.

Good luck and have fun in choosing!
No offense, but that's just your opinion. I would never buy a car based purely on how easily it gets me from point A to point B. I want something fun.

Old
  (#7)
lexer98
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 1070 - WC
Processor: 4790k@4.5Ghz - WC
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A
Memory: Corsair 16Gb - 2400mhz
Soundcard: Native Instrument Audio 2
PSU: Seasonic M12 750W
Default 03-11-2017, 22:23 | posts: 635 | Location: Argentina

Honda Civic ? I just searched on a used UK car web page and they cost arround 7k.
The Honda VTEC engine is a bulletproof engine and with good gas millage

Old
  (#8)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: HyperX Beast 16GB 2133
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: OCZ ZS 550w
Default 03-11-2017, 22:25 | posts: 9,886

I'm guessing the OP is living within Europe.

Maybe a VW Golf or similar? That gets you the best of both worlds, reliable and fun/quick at the same time.

Old
  (#9)
GREGIX
Master Guru

Videocard: Saphire Fury 3-x@2720Z
Processor: i7-5775C@4ghz
Mainboard: Asus z97 pro gamer
Memory: 2x8gb Basillix 2133 cl9
Soundcard: Creative Zx+Edifier 1700
PSU: EVGA G2 550W
Default 03-11-2017, 22:35 | posts: 318 | Location: Ireland

As my mechanic says, mazda 6 parts are more expensive than others. And my sis in law have mazda 6 2005 and does not like it. 2y owned car and brakes are failing now, something with brakes. Earlier door lock, and some other probs.

Pick Toyota or Mitshubishi

Personally I had mercedes benz, good car 1992y, then bmw 525 91, good but...more expensive parts and less reliable than merc, then passat diesel 2000y, shiet. never ever passat. Last I had nissan almera 2003, but crap engine failure with chain healed me from love to this brand. And was not comfy.
Now I have Mitsubishi lancer 2008 and cannot complain. Well, engine could be bigger, but then here, in Ireland, my insurance would go insanely up, same as road tax...so 1.5l must be enough.

7grands are enough I think to aim in 2009+ range. Look with cars with service history.

And aim in petrol, diesels may be more economic, less fuel eaten, but...when crap like particulate diesel filter is broken you got very expensive part to fix. Or turbo.
No diesel man.

Old
  (#10)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 1070 SC
Processor: 2600k@4.8 w/ NH-D15S
Mainboard: P8Z77-V
Memory: G-Skills ddr3 16GB@1866
Soundcard: SoundBlaster Z
PSU: TX850
Default 03-11-2017, 22:39 | posts: 7,820 | Location: FLA,USA

My wife loves her Corolla but it's the US version.

Old
  (#11)
jura11
Maha Guru

Videocard: Titan X 2*GTX 1080 FE EK
Processor: i7-5820k 4.5GHz EKWB
Mainboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 6
Memory: 6x16GB DDR4 2133MHz LPX
Soundcard: AVID Mbox 2
PSU: Seasonic X1250W
Default 03-11-2017, 22:42 | posts: 1,191 | Location: London

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer98 View Post
Honda Civic ? I just searched on a used UK car web page and they cost arround 7k.
The Honda VTEC engine is a bulletproof engine and with good gas millage
I would agree and disagree as well, I know few friends who are have Honda Civic with K20 engine and they see would say same, bulletproof engine, but when I'm looking at our Honda Civic Type R with K20 engine, we are went through 3 engines, seems like on our car, Honda forgotten how to do it bulletproof

Personally I would go with Subaru, they're great cars with very nice engine and if you choose non turbo engines they're will go and go, over here people use these engines with LPG as they seems are better suited to that as turbo engines, just stay away from 2.5L engines, these engines are prone to headgasket failure

Other car options, get Japanese car, it will be better on longer run, they're build better and last longer

Diesel car are option if you do lots of miles per year and if you do 15k then I would say in yours case is not worth it to have plus as right now most companies trying to not make diesel car or engines because scandal over emissions plus on longer run not sure if EU or even some countries will put extra tax ob diesel as they pollute more than petrol cars

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Old
  (#12)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 980ti sc+
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 03-11-2017, 23:55 | posts: 6,987 | Location: Washington DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE View Post
No offense, but that's just your opinion. I would never buy a car based purely on how easily it gets me from point A to point B. I want something fun.
Practicality is more important than driving a fancy car unless you have enough money for both. My last car was a manual transmission that I bought when I was 18 because it was "cool". The first Fast and the Furious had just come out and everyone was getting into stupid rice mobiles. Worst decision I ever made. Traffic in my area is so ridiculous that a manual trans is practically useless. Plus you can never really go faster than 55mph with all the traffic anyway so why bother buying something with 9000+ horsepower to use none of it.

Had the car for 12 years, sold it and bought an automatic AWD sedan for snowy weather.

Old
  (#13)
Corrupt^
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
Processor: Core i7 5820K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
Memory: Kingston HypX 16GB 3Ghz
Soundcard: Essence STXII Senn. HD650
PSU: Super Flower 1200W
Default 03-12-2017, 00:43 | posts: 6,542 | Location: Belgium

Quote:
So would I, but last time I checked when I took a dump, it wasn't money that I dropped in the toilet.

With that in mind, I've stopped caring about my car and while everyone else is driving their fancy German cars, I have a lot more cash to spend on ... well just the overall quality of my life.

As much as I would obviously love a fun and exciting car, it's also one of the biggest places where one can save a lot of money with minimum impact on how your everyday life goes.

Also, in Belgium, Diesel prices are slowly but surely creeping up. In a few years I expect it to be pretty much equal to normal gas.

Last edited by Corrupt^; 03-12-2017 at 00:46.

Old
  (#14)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 03-12-2017, 01:18 | posts: 3,921 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

j/k...

Last edited by airbud7; 03-12-2017 at 01:35.

Old
  (#15)
Darkest
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77 D3H
Memory: HyperX Beast 16GB 2133
Soundcard: Aune T1 + HD650/DT990 Pro
PSU: OCZ ZS 550w
Default 03-12-2017, 02:17 | posts: 9,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlkoho View Post
Practicality is more important than driving a fancy car unless you have enough money for both. My last car was a manual transmission that I bought when I was 18 because it was "cool". The first Fast and the Furious had just come out and everyone was getting into stupid rice mobiles. Worst decision I ever made. Traffic in my area is so ridiculous that a manual trans is practically useless. Plus you can never really go faster than 55mph with all the traffic anyway so why bother buying something with 9000+ horsepower to use none of it.

Had the car for 12 years, sold it and bought an automatic AWD sedan for snowy weather.
You're making the assertion that it's one or the other.

A well thought out purchase can result in both without spending much money. Not everyone buys cars based on poor movies, the fact you did is entirely on you.

PS: The entire "manual trans" nonsense is just that. A chunk of the rest of the world finds it hilarious that certain people in the US never learn to drive properly. I'd be far happier if people were forced to learn stick from the get go.

Last edited by Darkest; 03-12-2017 at 02:22.

Old
  (#16)
airbud7
Ancient Guru

Default 03-12-2017, 02:41 | posts: 3,921 | Location: Beech Island SC,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkest View Post
PS: The entire "manual trans" nonsense is just that. I'd be far happier if people were forced to learn stick from the get go.
Yep^...hand eye coordination is key to control of anything...anyone/everyone would be better off learning a stick first....

Old
  (#17)
lexer98
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 1070 - WC
Processor: 4790k@4.5Ghz - WC
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-A
Memory: Corsair 16Gb - 2400mhz
Soundcard: Native Instrument Audio 2
PSU: Seasonic M12 750W
Default 03-12-2017, 02:47 | posts: 635 | Location: Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post
I would agree and disagree as well, I know few friends who are have Honda Civic with K20 engine and they see would say same, bulletproof engine, but when I'm looking at our Honda Civic Type R with K20 engine, we are went through 3 engines, seems like on our car, Honda forgotten how to do it bulletproof

Personally I would go with Subaru, they're great cars with very nice engine and if you choose non turbo engines they're will go and go, over here people use these engines with LPG as they seems are better suited to that as turbo engines, just stay away from 2.5L engines, these engines are prone to headgasket failure

Other car options, get Japanese car, it will be better on longer run, they're build better and last longer

Diesel car are option if you do lots of miles per year and if you do 15k then I would say in yours case is not worth it to have plus as right now most companies trying to not make diesel car or engines because scandal over emissions plus on longer run not sure if EU or even some countries will put extra tax ob diesel as they pollute more than petrol cars

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
My neighbor has Subaru Impresa RX 2.0 N/A with over 350.000KM engine never opened. Still running like a champ

Old
  (#18)
IcE
Don Snow

Videocard: Gigabyte 970 G1
Processor: Intel i7 4790K
Mainboard: Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400
Soundcard: Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Default 03-12-2017, 07:15 | posts: 10,594 | Location: Toledo

Quote:

I daily a manual in the US with no problems, lol. I enjoy it. Even traffic isn't really a big deal. You just have to get out of the mindset of having to ride the bumper of the car in front you like you do in an automatic. I mean, I get it, I really do. Most people don't care and just want to get from A to B. I'm just saying it's an opinion at the end of the day. You don't even need a lot of power to have a fun car. Hot hatches are a great balance of fun and practicality.

Old
  (#19)
dd4000
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Processor: i7-4790K
Mainboard: Asus H81M-K
Memory: 2x8GB Savage CL9
Soundcard: Edifier R2730DB
PSU: Segotep F7 500W
Default 03-12-2017, 07:56 | posts: 52 | Location: Romania

What country are we talking about?

Old
  (#20)
PinguX
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 280
Processor: i5 2500K
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro
Memory: G.Skill DDR3 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: OCZ Stealth XStream2 600W
Default 03-13-2017, 14:07 | posts: 861

Honda Civic or Toyota Avensis petrol (diesel is too pollutant)

Old
  (#21)
N0sferatU
Maha Guru

Videocard: Old Radeon (not gamer)
Processor: Intel Core i7 LGA 2011
Mainboard:
Memory: 8 GB
Soundcard: Denon AHD7000 Headphones
PSU: Corsiar
Default 03-13-2017, 15:23 | posts: 1,624 | Location: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sverek View Post

Given the sheer percentage of your life you sit in a car it's foolish to have something that is life-less.

Quote:
x2...it's why I daily drive a Vette and an R35.

Old
  (#22)
The Laughing Ma
Ancient Guru

Videocard: WC 980GTX
Processor: I5 4690K @ 3.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula VII
Memory: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 03-13-2017, 20:26 | posts: 3,051

Quote:
Yup but sometimes you have to be a bit sensible and nothing says sensible madness like a 300Bhp 4wheel drive VW Golf that's why my next car is going to be a Golf R.

Old
  (#23)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 390 8GB
Processor: Intel i7 2600 stock
Mainboard: MSI P67A-GD65
Memory: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 03-14-2017, 11:22 | posts: 4,134 | Location: Sweden

Quote:

i cant stand driving automatic but i get what you mean

Old
  (#24)
viren
Maha Guru

Videocard: GTX 960
Processor: I5 4690K
Mainboard: Z87
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: 7.1 PCI-E
PSU: 800W
Default 03-16-2017, 17:22 | posts: 2,443 | Location: PUNE

Just got myself a Honda City third gen. It had just done 15000 kms so went for it. Got it for just 1500usd and will be spending another 1500usd to upgrade it, for eg new paint new mags new shocks magnaflow intake and so on...

I suggest you go for Honda engines only if you are looking to buy a second hand one.

Old
  (#25)
anticupidon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
Processor: i5 6600K / Liqmax II 240
Mainboard: Maximus Extreme VIII
Memory: 16 GB GSkill Z DDR4 3000
Soundcard: ROG SupremeFX
PSU: EVGA 750 W G2
Default 03-17-2017, 06:55 | posts: 2,843 | Location: far,far from home

Thanks Viren, i am told that Honda are the most reliable engines.Will look for this model also.
As many assumed, i do live in Europe, therefore Honda sedans are different of what you have there , over the pond.
I am looking still, most commom model we have here is this

This is what you guys have in US, right?

It is nearly imposible to find this model in Europe, i want one so badly.

Last edited by anticupidon; 03-17-2017 at 06:57.